PDA

View Full Version : Bulking ...is it really that easy?

kevind345
09-11-2007, 04:48 PM
So I have read through this forum for awhile now, I have some motivation problems...meaning everyday i say im going to start lifting and i dont...so if anyone can help with that please let me know!!!!

Anyways I'm 5'9-10 157lbs 12-13% and would like to bulk to around 180-185....when i actually start i will see how fast and well i gain and maybe i will bulk more before i cu, because I would like to be pretty lean by summer...so i will have to get to 180-185 by jan/feb then cut down ...and i would like to maintain at about 9% body fat....

From reading journals and posts on here it looks like as long as i eat about 3500 calaries a day and keep the protein about 150grams and the fat in check a day I should pack on muscle no problem??? is this really true, i would like to gain as least fat as possible...I see journals on here of people drinking beer and eating mcdonalds to get the extra calories, and they claim they dont gain much fat......im just wondering if it will really work???

Also if anyone can answer.......how are runningback so RIPPED? let me know their workout and diet, that is what i want to be on....

I swam competitively for about 7 years and quit when i was 14 and watched all my friends (guys) who kept swimming get ripped.......how does that work when you swim hard for 10+ hours a week????

sharkall2003
09-11-2007, 05:56 PM
Do you know how many calories your body requires right now? If so, I would add 500 calories to that everyday. And I would add in 250 calories of exertion on an elliptical. I don't have some scientific study, but there is a consensus on this board that doing cardio while on a bulk promotes leaner gains. It would take you a very long time to get where you want to be, but the gains would be better.

Bako Lifter
09-11-2007, 06:14 PM
Bulking ...is it really that easy?

Pretty much.

Eric Cartman
09-11-2007, 06:15 PM
You have to eat the right amount of calories for YOU.... that means trial and error, and figuring it out. As for McDonald's, my personal experience is I gain a lot of fat eating junk food on a bulk, and when I eat healthier food my fat level is easier to control.

But YES, if you lift and eat right, you do get bigger.. this stuff actually works!

EC

Bako Lifter
09-11-2007, 06:19 PM
As for McDonald's, my personal experience is I gain a lot of fat eating junk food on a bulk, and when I eat healthier food my fat level is easier to control.

It's not WHAT you eat, it's how MUCH you eat.

Eat 4,000 calories over maintenance of just brocoli, water, and chicken; You'll get fat as hell.

Eat 350 calories over maintenance of cheesburgers, donuts, chocolate milk; You'll slowly get bigger and put on mainly muscle.

Although junk isn't too healthy, it definately wont negatively effect how you look.

sharkall2003
09-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Although junk isn't too healthy, it definately wont negatively effect how you look.

You can tell yourself that all you want. All that **** food with all the saturated fats in it will effect how you look at some time.

Bako Lifter
09-11-2007, 06:26 PM
You can tell yourself that all you want. All that **** food with all the saturated fats in it will effect how you look at some time.

How?

RedSpikeyThing
09-11-2007, 06:26 PM

It will affect your performance which will, in turn, affect your physique.

ncsuLuke
09-11-2007, 06:28 PM
one thing ive found is it isnt that easy to keep eating a ton of calories...speaking of which time to go eat a pnut butter sandwich

Bako Lifter
09-11-2007, 06:28 PM
It will affect your performance which will, in turn, affect your physique.

Noooo it won't :rolleyes:

Powerlifters live off of McDonalds. And I'm not talking about extremes like Supersize me, just a fast food meal 4-5 days a week.

And before you guys start arguing, I don't feel like it. You win :). I'm going to Mcdonalds though.

kevind345
09-11-2007, 07:24 PM
haha that last post was funny...anyways so how much is right for me? maintainance level of ???16*my weight....2600-2700 + say 500...puts me at 3100-3200...seems a little low but idno, racked up a fit day daily diet of 3800 calories of what i would eat when i started to bulk

Breakfast:
Bagel with cream cheese and 1 waffle with a glass of milk

Lunch:
one plain cheesebuger on a white bun
and a DOUBLE chicken cheese steak

-Potein shake-around 4-430

**LIFT**around 5

Dinner:
1 cup of rice, and about 1-1.5 cups of boneless skinless chicken breast

-Potein shake_

2 90/10 lean burgers with white bun

Last: some peanut butter bread before bed.....

this all totals 3800 calories, 127grams of fat, 385 grams of carbs and 267 grams of protein...what do you all think??? and thanks to fitday that tanslates to 31% fat, 40% carbs, 29% protein

thanks a lot by the way for the feedback!

growthrep
09-11-2007, 07:56 PM

Powerlifters live off of McDonalds. And I'm not talking about extremes like Supersize me, just a fast food meal 4-5 days a week.

And before you guys start arguing, I don't feel like it. You win :). I'm going to Mcdonalds though.

Hehehe. Let's have this debate over a Big Mac and a side of fries, shall we? :)

RedSpikeyThing
09-11-2007, 10:14 PM

in moderation, it doesn't matter. If you're talking about living off of it, then it does. Think "Old Dave Tate" kind of diets. You can't tell me that doesn't affect performance...

nhlfan
09-12-2007, 12:46 AM
cleaning up my diet was one of the most effective things I've ever done in weightlifting.

Levantar
09-12-2007, 02:08 AM
This has been posted numerous times in this forum. Very motivational for me. read this:

"So, what are you doing for a living these days?" Bob asked me. We're sitting on the couch at one of those tedious holiday get-togethers, you know, the ones where you're supposed to be nice to family members you never see except during major holidays and funerals. I think Bob is my wife's brother-in-law's second cousin or something.

"I'm the assistant editor and a writer for Testosterone magazine," I say. Bob looks at me with a blank expression on his face, as if I'd just told him I sell handmade testicle warmers beside the freeway and was looking to open franchises across the nation.

"It's a bodybuilding magazine," I say.

Blank expression. Deer caught in the headlights. Ronnie Coleman doing trigonometry.

"Oh," Bob finally says, "I heard you were, like, one of those bodybuilder guys or something. So, what's that like, you know, working out every day and stuff? I just don't have time to lift weights all day, but I have been meaning to get rid of this beer belly." He takes another sip of beer. "What do you suggest?" Sip.

At first I was a little offended. I wanted to grab him up and say, "You can't tell I'm a bodybuilder?! Look at my ass! Now, if that's not a nice round squat-built piece of sirloin, I don't know what is! You think that comes naturally? I can crack walnuts with this puppy! Wanna see? Huh, punk? Do ya? Do ya?"

Then I realize this just might cause a scene and could cost me several Christmas presents. I was planning on returning any presents I got and using the money to buy a power rack, so I didn't want to jeopardize this gift getting opportunity. I also realized that old Bob probably had a certain preconceived image of a bodybuilder and I just didn't fit that image. I'm not gorilla huge; I weigh about 205 at 5'11" right now. (When I first started lifting I was a pudgy 159, so that's not too shabby.) Also, I wasn't wearing clown pants, a fluorescent string tank top, a hanky on my head and one of those little fanny packs. And isn't that what real bodybuilders are supposed to wear?

Bob continued to sit there drinking his Natural Light, smoking a cigarette and waiting for an answer, oblivious to the fact that he'd come this close to seeing some serious walnut- crunching ass power. I tried to figure out how I could explain to the average guy what the typical T-Man does and why he does it. How could I get him to understand what it is we do, how we feel, how we live? So I took a deep breath and told him something like this:

"Well, Bob, I guess you could use the term bodybuilder if you really need a label for what it is we do. Most of us actually don't stand on stage and compete, though. We lift weights and manipulate our diets so that we'll look good naked. Sure, it's healthy too, and we'll probably live a longer and more productive life than the average guy, but mostly it's about the naked thing. Truthfully, it goes beyond even that.

"Let's be honest here. We do it because of people like you, Bob. We look at you sitting there with your gut hanging over your belt and we watch you grunt and groan just getting out of a chair. Guys like you are our inspiration, Bob. You're better than Anthony Robbins, Bill Phillips, Deepak Chopra, and Zig ****ing Ziglar all wrapped up into one. We love it when guys like you talk about not having time to exercise. Every time we see you munching on a bag of potato chips, you inspire us. You're my shot in the arm, Bob, my living and breathing wake-up call, my own personal success coach.

"You want to know what it is we do? We overcome. We're too busy to train, too, but we overcome. We're too busy to prepare healthy meals and eat them five or six times a day, but we overcome. We can't always afford supplements, our genetics aren't perfect, and we don't always feel like going to the gym. Some of us used to be just like you, Bob, but guess what? We've overcome.

"We like to watch 'normal' people like you tell us about how they can't get in shape. We smile and nod sympathetically like we feel your pain, but actually, we're thinking that you're a pathetic piece of **** that needs to grow a spine and join a gym. You smile sheepishly and say that you just can't stay motivated and just can't stand that feeling of being sore. (For some reason you think that admitting your weaknesses somehow justifies them.) We listen to you ***** and moan. We watch you look for the easy way out. Because of people like you, Bob, we never miss a workout.

"You ask us for advice about diet and training and usually we politely offer some guidance, but deep inside we know you won't take our advice. You know that too. We smile and say, 'Hope that helps. Good luck,' but actually we're thinking, 'Boy, it would suck to be you.' We know that 99% of people won't listen to us. Once they hear that it takes hard work, sacrifice and discipline, they stop listening and tune us out.

"We know they wanted us to say that building a great body is easy, but it just isn't. This did not take five minutes a day on a TorsoTrack. We did not get this way in 12 short weeks using a Bowflex and the Suzanne Somers' 'Get Skinny' diet. A good body does not cost five easy payments of $39.95.

"We like it that while you're eating a candy bar and drinking Mountain Dew, we're sucking down a protein shake. You see, that makes it taste even better to us. While you're asleep we're either getting up early or staying up late, hitting the iron, pushing ourselves, learning, succeeding and failing and rising above the norm with every rep. Can you feel that, Bob? Can you relate? No? Good. This wouldn't be half as fun if you could.

"We do it because we absolutely and totally get off on it. We do it because people like you, Bob, either can't or won't. We do it because what we do in the gym transfers over into the rest of our lives and changes us, physically, mentally, maybe even spiritually. We do it because it beats watching fishing and golf on TV. By the way, do you know what it's like to turn the head of a beautiful woman because of the way you're built? It feels good, Bob. Damned good.

"When we're in the gym, we're in this indescribable euphoria zone. It's a feeling of being on, of being completely alive and aware. If you haven't been there, then it's like trying to describe color to a person who's been blind since birth. Within this haze of pleasure and pain, there's knowledge and power, self-discipline and self-reliance. If you do it long enough, Bob, there's even enlightenment. Sometimes, the answers to questions you didn't even know you had are sitting there on those rubber mats, wrapped up in a neat package of iron plates and bars.

"Want to lose that beer belly, Bob? I have a nutty idea. Put down the ****ing beer. I'll tell you what, Bob. Christmas morning I'm getting up real early and hitting the iron. I want to watch my daughter open her presents and spend the whole day with her, so this is the only time I have to train. The gym will be closed, so I'm going out in my garage to workout. You be at my house at six in the morning, okay? I'll be glad to help you get started on a weight training program. It'll be colder than Hillary Clinton's coochie in there, so dress warm.

"But let me tell you something, Bob. If you don't show up, don't bother asking me again. And don't you ever sit there and let me hear you ***** about your beer belly again. This is your chance, your big opportunity to break out of that rut. If you don't show up, Bob, you've learned a very important lesson about yourself, haven't you? You won't like that lesson.

"You won't like that feeling in the pit of your stomach either or that taste in your mouth. It will taste worse than defeat, Bob. Defeat tastes pretty goddamned nasty, but what you'll be experiencing will be much worse. It will be the knowledge that you're weak, mentally and physically. What's worse is that you'll have accepted that feeling. The feeling will always be with you. In the happiest moments of your life, it'll be there, lying under the surface like a malignant tumor. Ignore it at your own peril, Bob.

"Don't look at me like that either. This just may be the best Christmas present you'll get this year. Next Christmas, Bob, when I see you again, I'm going to be a little bigger, a little stronger, and a little leaner. What will you be? Will you still be making excuses? This is a gift, Bob, from me to you. I'm giving you the chance to look fate in those pretty eyes of hers and say, 'Step off, *****. This is my party and you're not invited.' What do you say, Bob? Monday, Christmas morning, 6am, my house. The ball's in your court."

Okay, so maybe that's not the exact words I used with Bob, but you get the picture. Will Bob show up Monday? I don't know, but I kind of doubt it. In fact, Bob will probably take me off his Christmas card list. He probably thinks I've got "too much Testosterone," like that's a bad thing. I think Bob is just stuck in a rut, and as the saying goes, the only difference between a rut and a grave is depth.

The way out of the rut is to make major changes in your life, most of which won't be too pleasant in the beginning. The opportunity to make those changes seldom comes as bluntly as I put it to Bob. Most of the time, that opportunity knocks very softly. What I did was basically give Bob a verbal slap in the face. You can react two ways to a slap. You can get angry at the person doing the slapping, or you can realize that he was just trying to get you to wake up and focus on what you really want and, more importantly, what it'll take to get it.

If you're a regular T-mag reader, I doubt you need to be called out like Bob. But maybe you've caught yourself slacking a little here lately. Maybe you've missed a few workouts or maybe you started a little too early on the usual holiday feasting, like, say, back in September. Just remember that the time to start working on that summer body is now. The time to get rid of those bad habits that hold you back in the gym is now. You want to look totally different by next Christmas? Start now. This isn't because of the holidays or any corny New Year's resolutions either. The best time is always now.

Christmas day I want you to enjoy being with your family and friends. I want you to open presents, sip a little eggnog and have a good meal. But if your regularily scheduled workout happens to fall on December 25th, what will you be doing at six o'clock that morning?

That's what separates us from guys like Bob.

Credit for this article to T-Mag.com

RhodeHouse
09-12-2007, 09:01 AM
Dude, just eat. If you get hungry, you're not eating enough. You could gain your 20lbs in 4 weeks. I just put on 18lbs in 20 days. For all you worried about BF - mine went from 18.5 to 18.6. So, McDonald's won't kill you. Eat and stop worrying about counting calories. You're wasting time worrying about all that stuff on a weight gain plan. Eat - it's that simple

blackboard
09-12-2007, 09:31 AM
one thing ive found is it isnt that easy to keep eating a ton of calories...speaking of which time to go eat a pnut butter sandwich

But its easy to drink a ton of calories.

KingJustin
09-12-2007, 10:10 AM
I didn't read all the other responses, but let me just say that the most important thing you can do to gain weight is to eat more calories. Shoot for about .5-2lbs/w. This is usually done with 18-20x BW in calories, or just adding 500 calories each week until you're gaining weight.

That in mind, there are very differing opinions on this board as to how much the specifics of diet matter. Some people think that if your routine is decent and you just gain the weight, the rest of your diet is not that big of a deal and you'll get just as big/lean as someone who worries about unimportant points. Some of the biggest guys on here are in that camp (Chris Mason, Rhodes, etc).

Others (including myself) think that the "little things" in diet really matter. And I think they matter in ways more significant than the fact that they improve performance, and as a by-product, improve gains. I think they are very direct. Those "little things" include ...
(1) Eat 6+ times/day (there are studies that show both ways ... some studies say eating 6x/day vs 1x/day doesn't make a significant difference in body composition, others say otherwise).
(2) Eat good forms of protein, healthy fats (for 2/3s of the fats, anyway) and low GI carbs.
(3) Make your peri-workout nutrition "perfect" (basically eat a ton of protein/high GI carbs before, during, and after your workout, and then a ton of protein/low GI carbs for the next 2.5 hours)
(4) Carb cycle (you eat more carbs, and as a result, calories, on workout days than rest days)
(5) Eat 1.5g/lb BW in protein and about .65g/lb BW in fats.
(6) Eat vegetables with every meal (this is for body composition, not just health)
(7) Eat protein+fat meals or protein+carb meals ... don't eat fat/carb meals or protein/fat/carb meals.
(8) Only eat protein+carb meals for breakfast and before/during/within 3 hours after your workout.
(9) Eat bigger meals in the morning and smaller meals at night
(10) Work out about 6-9 hrs before you'd go to bed.
(11) Eat the right protein at the right time (casein before bed, whey pre/during workout, blends at other times)
(12) It helps to keep your metabolism high, and to burn some excess calories. Going for a walk a couple times a week, and doing some HIIT (interval training/sprints) or some form of Metabolic Conditioning is generally beneficial, although this may mean you need to eat a little more to gain weight.

The "focus on the small parts of diet" does have a lot of big, lean guys that buy into it, just as does the other side. Maybe some of these people are perfectionists and want to overcomplicate things, though. I think the biggest problem with focusing on the specifics is that you may miss the most important thing, and not eat enough to gain weight (I do this way too much!). So, imo, you should focus on the specifics, but not so much that you miss the big picture.

Anyway, the point is that there is a lot of debate among the "experts" and so to listen to one person tell you one way or the other is correct is probably not the best thing to do.

Also, diet and training are very individual-specific. Your genetics, your training/dieting history, your current training regime, your goals, etc are very unique to you. Saying the best diet is one way or another for everyone is misleading.

Eric Cartman
09-12-2007, 10:36 AM
This has been posted numerous times in this forum. Very motivational for me. read this:

"So, what are you doing for a living these days?" Bob asked me. We're sitting on the couch at one of those tedious holiday get-togethers, you know, the ones where you're supposed to be nice to family members you never see except during major holidays and funerals. I think Bob is my wife's brother-in-law's second cousin or something.

"I'm the assistant editor and a writer for Testosterone magazine," I say. Bob looks at me with a blank expression on his face, as if I'd just told him I sell handmade testicle warmers beside the freeway and was looking to open franchises across the nation.

"It's a bodybuilding magazine," I say.

Blank expression. Deer caught in the headlights. Ronnie Coleman doing trigonometry.

"Oh," Bob finally says, "I heard you were, like, one of those bodybuilder guys or something. So, what's that like, you know, working out every day and stuff? I just don't have time to lift weights all day, but I have been meaning to get rid of this beer belly." He takes another sip of beer. "What do you suggest?" Sip.

At first I was a little offended. I wanted to grab him up and say, "You can't tell I'm a bodybuilder?! Look at my ass! Now, if that's not a nice round squat-built piece of sirloin, I don't know what is! You think that comes naturally? I can crack walnuts with this puppy! Wanna see? Huh, punk? Do ya? Do ya?"

Then I realize this just might cause a scene and could cost me several Christmas presents. I was planning on returning any presents I got and using the money to buy a power rack, so I didn't want to jeopardize this gift getting opportunity. I also realized that old Bob probably had a certain preconceived image of a bodybuilder and I just didn't fit that image. I'm not gorilla huge; I weigh about 205 at 5'11" right now. (When I first started lifting I was a pudgy 159, so that's not too shabby.) Also, I wasn't wearing clown pants, a fluorescent string tank top, a hanky on my head and one of those little fanny packs. And isn't that what real bodybuilders are supposed to wear?

Bob continued to sit there drinking his Natural Light, smoking a cigarette and waiting for an answer, oblivious to the fact that he'd come this close to seeing some serious walnut- crunching ass power. I tried to figure out how I could explain to the average guy what the typical T-Man does and why he does it. How could I get him to understand what it is we do, how we feel, how we live? So I took a deep breath and told him something like this:

"Well, Bob, I guess you could use the term bodybuilder if you really need a label for what it is we do. Most of us actually don't stand on stage and compete, though. We lift weights and manipulate our diets so that we'll look good naked. Sure, it's healthy too, and we'll probably live a longer and more productive life than the average guy, but mostly it's about the naked thing. Truthfully, it goes beyond even that.

"Let's be honest here. We do it because of people like you, Bob. We look at you sitting there with your gut hanging over your belt and we watch you grunt and groan just getting out of a chair. Guys like you are our inspiration, Bob. You're better than Anthony Robbins, Bill Phillips, Deepak Chopra, and Zig ****ing Ziglar all wrapped up into one. We love it when guys like you talk about not having time to exercise. Every time we see you munching on a bag of potato chips, you inspire us. You're my shot in the arm, Bob, my living and breathing wake-up call, my own personal success coach.

"You want to know what it is we do? We overcome. We're too busy to train, too, but we overcome. We're too busy to prepare healthy meals and eat them five or six times a day, but we overcome. We can't always afford supplements, our genetics aren't perfect, and we don't always feel like going to the gym. Some of us used to be just like you, Bob, but guess what? We've overcome.

"We like to watch 'normal' people like you tell us about how they can't get in shape. We smile and nod sympathetically like we feel your pain, but actually, we're thinking that you're a pathetic piece of **** that needs to grow a spine and join a gym. You smile sheepishly and say that you just can't stay motivated and just can't stand that feeling of being sore. (For some reason you think that admitting your weaknesses somehow justifies them.) We listen to you ***** and moan. We watch you look for the easy way out. Because of people like you, Bob, we never miss a workout.

"You ask us for advice about diet and training and usually we politely offer some guidance, but deep inside we know you won't take our advice. You know that too. We smile and say, 'Hope that helps. Good luck,' but actually we're thinking, 'Boy, it would suck to be you.' We know that 99% of people won't listen to us. Once they hear that it takes hard work, sacrifice and discipline, they stop listening and tune us out.

"We know they wanted us to say that building a great body is easy, but it just isn't. This did not take five minutes a day on a TorsoTrack. We did not get this way in 12 short weeks using a Bowflex and the Suzanne Somers' 'Get Skinny' diet. A good body does not cost five easy payments of $39.95.

"We like it that while you're eating a candy bar and drinking Mountain Dew, we're sucking down a protein shake. You see, that makes it taste even better to us. While you're asleep we're either getting up early or staying up late, hitting the iron, pushing ourselves, learning, succeeding and failing and rising above the norm with every rep. Can you feel that, Bob? Can you relate? No? Good. This wouldn't be half as fun if you could.

"We do it because we absolutely and totally get off on it. We do it because people like you, Bob, either can't or won't. We do it because what we do in the gym transfers over into the rest of our lives and changes us, physically, mentally, maybe even spiritually. We do it because it beats watching fishing and golf on TV. By the way, do you know what it's like to turn the head of a beautiful woman because of the way you're built? It feels good, Bob. Damned good.

"When we're in the gym, we're in this indescribable euphoria zone. It's a feeling of being on, of being completely alive and aware. If you haven't been there, then it's like trying to describe color to a person who's been blind since birth. Within this haze of pleasure and pain, there's knowledge and power, self-discipline and self-reliance. If you do it long enough, Bob, there's even enlightenment. Sometimes, the answers to questions you didn't even know you had are sitting there on those rubber mats, wrapped up in a neat package of iron plates and bars.

"Want to lose that beer belly, Bob? I have a nutty idea. Put down the ****ing beer. I'll tell you what, Bob. Christmas morning I'm getting up real early and hitting the iron. I want to watch my daughter open her presents and spend the whole day with her, so this is the only time I have to train. The gym will be closed, so I'm going out in my garage to workout. You be at my house at six in the morning, okay? I'll be glad to help you get started on a weight training program. It'll be colder than Hillary Clinton's coochie in there, so dress warm.

"But let me tell you something, Bob. If you don't show up, don't bother asking me again. And don't you ever sit there and let me hear you ***** about your beer belly again. This is your chance, your big opportunity to break out of that rut. If you don't show up, Bob, you've learned a very important lesson about yourself, haven't you? You won't like that lesson.

"You won't like that feeling in the pit of your stomach either or that taste in your mouth. It will taste worse than defeat, Bob. Defeat tastes pretty goddamned nasty, but what you'll be experiencing will be much worse. It will be the knowledge that you're weak, mentally and physically. What's worse is that you'll have accepted that feeling. The feeling will always be with you. In the happiest moments of your life, it'll be there, lying under the surface like a malignant tumor. Ignore it at your own peril, Bob.

"Don't look at me like that either. This just may be the best Christmas present you'll get this year. Next Christmas, Bob, when I see you again, I'm going to be a little bigger, a little stronger, and a little leaner. What will you be? Will you still be making excuses? This is a gift, Bob, from me to you. I'm giving you the chance to look fate in those pretty eyes of hers and say, 'Step off, *****. This is my party and you're not invited.' What do you say, Bob? Monday, Christmas morning, 6am, my house. The ball's in your court."

Okay, so maybe that's not the exact words I used with Bob, but you get the picture. Will Bob show up Monday? I don't know, but I kind of doubt it. In fact, Bob will probably take me off his Christmas card list. He probably thinks I've got "too much Testosterone," like that's a bad thing. I think Bob is just stuck in a rut, and as the saying goes, the only difference between a rut and a grave is depth.

The way out of the rut is to make major changes in your life, most of which won't be too pleasant in the beginning. The opportunity to make those changes seldom comes as bluntly as I put it to Bob. Most of the time, that opportunity knocks very softly. What I did was basically give Bob a verbal slap in the face. You can react two ways to a slap. You can get angry at the person doing the slapping, or you can realize that he was just trying to get you to wake up and focus on what you really want and, more importantly, what it'll take to get it.

If you're a regular T-mag reader, I doubt you need to be called out like Bob. But maybe you've caught yourself slacking a little here lately. Maybe you've missed a few workouts or maybe you started a little too early on the usual holiday feasting, like, say, back in September. Just remember that the time to start working on that summer body is now. The time to get rid of those bad habits that hold you back in the gym is now. You want to look totally different by next Christmas? Start now. This isn't because of the holidays or any corny New Year's resolutions either. The best time is always now.

Christmas day I want you to enjoy being with your family and friends. I want you to open presents, sip a little eggnog and have a good meal. But if your regularily scheduled workout happens to fall on December 25th, what will you be doing at six o'clock that morning?

That's what separates us from guys like Bob.

Credit for this article to T-Mag.com

If I have to read this lame story one more time I'm gonna shoot myself in the head!!!:shoot:

brihead301
09-12-2007, 10:39 AM
Lol, I know. I see that story all the time.

Eric Cartman
09-12-2007, 10:40 AM
haha that last post was funny...anyways so how much is right for me? maintainance level of ???16*my weight....2600-2700 + say 500...puts me at 3100-3200...seems a little low but idno, racked up a fit day daily diet of 3800 calories of what i would eat when i started to bulk

Breakfast:
Bagel with cream cheese and 1 waffle with a glass of milk

Lunch:
one plain cheesebuger on a white bun
and a DOUBLE chicken cheese steak

-Potein shake-around 4-430

**LIFT**around 5

Dinner:
1 cup of rice, and about 1-1.5 cups of boneless skinless chicken breast

-Potein shake_

2 90/10 lean burgers with white bun

Last: some peanut butter bread before bed.....

this all totals 3800 calories, 127grams of fat, 385 grams of carbs and 267 grams of protein...what do you all think??? and thanks to fitday that tanslates to 31% fat, 40% carbs, 29% protein

thanks a lot by the way for the feedback!

My suggestions: whole wheat bagel, brown rice, wheat bun... all that white bread really does convert to fat very easily, there is research on this... also, add some veggies!! Health does matter, I don't think there can ever be a justification for eating unhealthy food, despite what people say here..

EC

HahnB
09-12-2007, 11:11 AM

Most power lifters are fat. People interested in building a lean healthy physique rarely desire the build of a power lifter.

RhodeHouse
09-12-2007, 01:21 PM
Most power lifters are fat. People interested in building a lean healthy physique rarely desire the build of a power lifter.

That may be one of the dumbest, most ignorant comments I've heard in a long time. I don't even know what to say, other than, that's just plain dumb. And, there's no pill to cure stupid, unfortunately.

HahnB
09-12-2007, 01:40 PM
That may be one of the dumbest, most ignorant comments I've heard in a long time. I don't even know what to say, other than, that's just plain dumb. And, there's no pill to cure stupid, unfortunately.

I guess all the pictures of power lifters I've seen must be part of a nation wide conspiracy to convince everyone that they have high levels of body fat. Unless you're talking about the lower weight classes, power lifters typically have more body fat than ANY body builder would ever desire to have. The biggest guys aren't healthy in any way shape or form. They're overweight, plain and simple. Guys in a 180lb weight class are a completely different story.

RhodeHouse
09-12-2007, 01:54 PM
You base your ridiculous statement on the fact that someone's belly sticks out. True, PLers do carry more bodyfat than BBers. Whne one does biceps curls, it's usually in hopes of building the muscle in the arms - correct? News flash here - hitting abs with weight will make the ab muscles grow just like any other muscle.

As far as health goes - how do you know how healthy these guys are? Are you friends with all of them? Do you go to the Dr with them? No. So don't act like you know the health status of these guys just because they "look" fat.

As far as the little weight classes - any man under 200lbs is a woman.

You look at jacked up PLers and think they're fat. I look at BBers and think they're gay. What man would parade around in front of other men in a thong? That doesn't seem very hetero to me. Maybe I'm homophobic. But, is that a fair judgement by me? I don't know any of those guys. I don't witness any of their sexual escapes.

So, for me to say BBers are gay is as assanine as you saying PLers are fat.

RedSpikeyThing
09-12-2007, 02:03 PM
I guess all the pictures of power lifters I've seen must be part of a nation wide conspiracy to convince everyone that they have high levels of body fat.

Maybe they're the super heavyweights, where weight doesn't count against them :rolleyes:

Being overfat does not benefit anyone in any weightclass.

Cirino83
09-12-2007, 02:09 PM
News flash here - hitting abs with weight will make the ab muscles grow just like any other muscle.

C'mon guys, don't you know its not a fat stomach, its just HUGE abs...:whazzup:

orrrr they care about their appearance or are short :burger:

hmm might have a point about the thong thing...

I agree with Hahn 1 million % on what he said, especially breaking it down to weight classes.

KingJustin
09-12-2007, 02:36 PM
The powerlifters in the 240 class and lower generally have low body fat. Most of the ones that don't are really short..

Also, for powerlifters, steroids aren't the #1 factor for the success. Training is.

That said, if we're talking powerlifters, Dave Tate has been harping on diet for quite awhile now and getting into semi-specifics, and basically following Berardi's 7 rules..

Con
09-12-2007, 02:48 PM
Justin - do you ever feel like you get burnt out trying to have EVERYTHING perfect, according to those rules? Im talking mentally here btw.

I know I tried to be 100%, but then lots of educated and intelligent people clued me in on the fact that I will achieve the same, if not more with being a tad more reasonable.

Not preaching to you, since Ive seen your stats and pics, and you do great for yourself, just curious tho.

@ Rhodes and Hahn -

You both bring up good points. No BBer wants to look like a Pler because they carry MORE, not always excess, fat. PLers dont care as much, and just want to lift heavy ****, so worrying about bf% and muscle gain ratio is just extra stress for them.

I think an equal medium, taking aspects from both lifestyles, will yeild a way more impressive athlete/person/ w.e you want to call them.

KoolDrew
09-12-2007, 02:55 PM
I'm with Bako, except Wendys > McDonalds. :p

HahnB
09-12-2007, 03:06 PM
You base your ridiculous statement on the fact that someone's belly sticks out. True, PLers do carry more bodyfat than BBers. Whne one does biceps curls, it's usually in hopes of building the muscle in the arms - correct? News flash here - hitting abs with weight will make the ab muscles grow just like any other muscle.

As far as health goes - how do you know how healthy these guys are? Are you friends with all of them? Do you go to the Dr with them? No. So don't act like you know the health status of these guys just because they "look" fat.

You look at jacked up PLers and think they're fat. I look at BBers and think they're gay. What man would parade around in front of other men in a thong? That doesn't seem very hetero to me. Maybe I'm homophobic. But, is that a fair judgement by me? I don't know any of those guys. I don't witness any of their sexual escapes.

When a person weighs 270 or 300lbs it doesn't matter what their body fat is, they're unhealthy. That's extremely taxing on their heart. Jay Cutler said that despite being sub 10% all year round he can barley make it up a flight of stairs-does that strike you as being particularly healthy? I wouldn't classify anyone as fat unless they had the bf level to justify that label. If I see a lean power lifter, he certainly isn't considered fat. However, just because someone benches 900lbs does not mean they're healthy. Strength doesn't always =health.

The idea behind my post was that if you're a body builder, basing your diet off a power lifter who weights 300lbs isn't the greatest idea in the world. Telling people they shouldn't count calories at all and just to eat everything in sight, regardless of the content of that food is bad advice. Eating past a certain point will do NOTHING to achieve muscle growth, it will only lead to fat gain. Your body is only capable of building muscle at a certain pace.

If my original post was misleading then I apologize, maybe it did sound like I meant every single power lifter was fat-but that's not what I meant.

KingJustin
09-12-2007, 03:06 PM
Justin - do you ever feel like you get burnt out trying to have EVERYTHING perfect, according to those rules? Im talking mentally here btw.

I know I tried to be 100%, but then lots of educated and intelligent people clued me in on the fact that I will achieve the same, if not more with being a tad more reasonable.

Not preaching to you, since Ive seen your stats and pics, and you do great for yourself, just curious tho.

Well, I generally dislike eating and it's frustrating for me to gain weight, so I would say that following those rules does make things harder. At the same time, I think I, personally, stay a lot leaner by following the principles I laid out, so it's really a matter of dedication. Sometimes I'm more dedicated than others. Also, I think that even if I'm not gaining weight, I am improving my body composition and staying healthy if I eat "right."

Brad263
09-12-2007, 03:08 PM
I would't say its easy. Some people are busy and have really high metabolism's like me. Advise I can give if your really busy during the day is make bulking shakes. You can look in the recipes section for some great ideas. Drink those between meals while you are on the go and you can keep up your calories intake. It still takes a long time though. Don't expect results fast because it just won't happen like that.

Eric Cartman
09-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Jay Cutler? The quarterback for the Denver Broncos, is fat?? huh?

Also, I don't parade around anyone wearing anything, but I'd like to parade around a chick soon I hope...

EC

Levantar
09-12-2007, 09:17 PM
If I have to read this lame story one more time I'm gonna shoot myself in the head!!!:shoot:

You think that story is lame? Wow. hmm Thanks for reposting it in your quote though.

KingJustin
09-12-2007, 10:25 PM
You think that story is lame? Wow. hmm Thanks for reposting it in your quote though.

Hah, I think that story is lame, too. But, I don't need motivation. I just go in and slam ****ing weights.

RhodeHouse
09-12-2007, 10:47 PM
When a person weighs 270 or 300lbs it doesn't matter what their body fat is, they're unhealthy. That's extremely taxing on their heart. Jay Cutler said that despite being sub 10% all year round he can barley make it up a flight of stairs-does that strike you as being particularly healthy? I wouldn't classify anyone as fat unless they had the bf level to justify that label. If I see a lean power lifter, he certainly isn't considered fat. However, just because someone benches 900lbs does not mean they're healthy. Strength doesn't always =health.

The idea behind my post was that if you're a body builder, basing your diet off a power lifter who weights 300lbs isn't the greatest idea in the world. Telling people they shouldn't count calories at all and just to eat everything in sight, regardless of the content of that food is bad advice. Eating past a certain point will do NOTHING to achieve muscle growth, it will only lead to fat gain. Your body is only capable of building muscle at a certain pace.

If my original post was misleading then I apologize, maybe it did sound like I meant every single power lifter was fat-but that's not what I meant.

Here's the reality of people trying to gain weight. If they don't know how to eat (and most don't) then counting calories is a waste of time. Just eat. Most people, including me, grossly over-estimate the amount of calories they eat in a day. Everyone thinks they eat a lot. I run into more 150lb dudes that tell me they eat that much but just can't gain. guess what - you ain't even close to eating enough.

I can honestly tell you, that in the last 3 weeks, possibly longer, I have not felt a hunger pain. I've gained 18lbs and my BF went up 1/10th of a point. I can tell you, I've never counted calories a day in my life. I also did this drug-free. Wait until the "sugar" kicks in!

If you're an experienced lifter (10 years or more IMO) and you're a competitor, then counting calories is important. if you're new to this game, spend your time eating, lifting, sleeping, and chasing chicks. With all that, there shouldn't be time to count calories.

As soon as you stop sweating the small stuff, you're gains will be amazing. All that thought that you spend on counting and macros and timing of nutrients is stressful on your body. Reduce some stress and don't worry. If you get a little too fat, do a little more conditioning. Not a lot, just a little. If you're having trouble gaining - EAT MORE! BBer or PLer - the answer is the same. Don't fill your body full of crappy food, but if you're in a rut, use McD's as a tool to get to your goals. It's not forever, just until you break thru a plateau.

I was a 250lb DE in college. I was 9% my senior year. I drank Coors Light and ate Mexican food twice a week. I ate fast food once a day. I skipped meals, I didn't sleep that well (beginning of sleep apnea). Not genetics. Mom's about 110lbs and dad's about 175lbs. I gained 60lbs in college.

I made it to an elite classification in the 308lb weight class in PLing. Starting in July, was the first time I ever paid attention to my protein intake. I made it all the way to age 32 without counting anything.

Keep it simple. Train hard. Eat smart. Worry about the particulars when you're about to step on stage.

BTW - I wear my thong with a knot in the back

RhodeHouse
09-12-2007, 11:04 PM
Cirino83 - There are 2 kinds of people in the world.

1. BIG PEOPLE
2. little people

I stand by my statement - any man under 200lbs is a woman

Amendment to above statement - unless you are under 18 or over 50 (arbitrary numbers)

IMO - a man under 200lbs looks sick to me. If you can see a jawline, collarbones, any ribs, and the sternum that's just small. (teenagers excluded - there's still hope for you guys)

Remember Glenn Ross? I look at him and say, "he's beautful!" Most will look and say how disgusting and fat he looks. Difference of opinions. Anyone see a picture of Ryan Kennelly after he benched 1036? He weighed in around 360lbs. If I remember correctly, he's about 6'2" Wow! He was jacked! But, some may say fat.

KingJustin
09-13-2007, 12:25 AM
Rhodes, this is why I think it's very individual-specific. I know from my experience, that if I just eat a bunch of food, I'll get fatter than if I eat "smart" and gain the same amount of weight. I also don't think I could be 250 @ 9% without drugs. Wasn't Arnie 225/4% with tons of drugs? And wasn't he Mr. Olympia?

There's also numerous experts (John Berardi, Chris Shugart, just about everyone at T-Nation, etc) that tell you to eat frequently and follow all sorts of diet guidelines (most of them I listed). They may be harping over minor issues, but just about all of them focus on the same ones and seem to think it makes a significant difference.

At the same time, it's a given that your results are phenomenal and apparently you haven't sweated the small stuff. I just don't think everybody can get by with that strategy.

RhodeHouse
09-13-2007, 08:41 AM
Trust me - if I knew about drugs when I was playing ball, I would've used them. Being around 10-12% BF isn't that hard. Getting below that is when the real work begins. If you think being 9% @ 250lbs is because of drugs, you're sadly mistaken. The information you've gotten is very bad.

I don't disagree with those guys you've mentioned. They are very smart. My point is, MOST of the people on here, really don't need to worry about all that stuff, yet. How did guys ever get big and/or ripped before the internet? Calculators and calorie counting blah, blah, blah.

I have no idea how many drugs Arnold took. Based on looking at Arnold and the current competitors of today, Arnold didn't take a fraction of what the guys of today take.

brihead301
09-13-2007, 08:47 AM
I stand by my statement - any man under 200lbs is a woman

Damn, I'm 185 lbs. I'm a woman. Son of a b****, I could of swore I was dude too all this time. Oh well, I guess I'll just be a lesbian.

RhodeHouse
09-13-2007, 08:52 AM
Damn, I'm 185 lbs. I'm a woman. Son of a b****, I could of swore I was dude too all this time. Oh well, I guess I'll just be a lesbian.

I'll still love you if you're a lesbian!

sharkall2003
09-13-2007, 09:17 AM
Rhodes, this is why I think it's very individual-specific. I know from my experience, that if I just eat a bunch of food, I'll get fatter than if I eat "smart" and gain the same amount of weight. I also don't think I could be 250 @ 9% without drugs. Wasn't Arnie 225/4% with tons of drugs? And wasn't he Mr. Olympia?

There's also numerous experts (John Berardi, Chris Shugart, just about everyone at T-Nation, etc) that tell you to eat frequently and follow all sorts of diet guidelines (most of them I listed). They may be harping over minor issues, but just about all of them focus on the same ones and seem to think it makes a significant difference.

At the same time, it's a given that your results are phenomenal and apparently you haven't sweated the small stuff. I just don't think everybody can get by with that strategy.

I feel pretty much the same way. When people say they're bulking, I usually think that they're going to be eating clean, healthy foods that are highly nutritious. You know: oatmeal, chicken, steak, veggies, bagels with a little jelly, tuna, whey protein, and maybe a multivitamin and some vitamin-c pills. This notion on the board that you can eat whatever you want as long as you gain weight is ridiculous. Sure, some people are pushing really heavy weight and are eating McDonalds a lot more often than not, but that's besides the point. I think that being strict at least in the foods you eat provides better healthy. You'll have better energy bursts, you can manipulate when you get your energy, etc. I think it's pretty important. I stick to the basics. And it works very well. But something tells me that having a gigantic burger right before bed, or 16 tablespoons of peanut butter (which is a lot of saturated fat) is not healthy for you. Don't get me wrong, I do follow some basics. I usually don't eat FCP all in one sitting, I don't eat carbs after eight o'clock, I have carbs for breakfast, some complex carbs about an hour before lifting and maybe a little gatorade (watered down) before I hit the gym. There was a time when eating clean was advocated and lifters were doing it for years. I don't know where this influx of information has came that says they've been wrong this entire time and all the plants and products mother nature gives us are suddenly not optimal for out bodies when we've been evolving to use them for hundreds of thousands of years.

RhodeHouse
09-13-2007, 10:11 AM
I feel pretty much the same way. When people say they're bulking, I usually think that they're going to be eating clean, healthy foods that are highly nutritious. You know: oatmeal, chicken, steak, veggies, bagels with a little jelly, tuna, whey protein, and maybe a multivitamin and some vitamin-c pills. This notion on the board that you can eat whatever you want as long as you gain weight is ridiculous. Sure, some people are pushing really heavy weight and are eating McDonalds a lot more often than not, but that's besides the point. I think that being strict at least in the foods you eat provides better healthy. You'll have better energy bursts, you can manipulate when you get your energy, etc. I think it's pretty important. I stick to the basics. And it works very well. But something tells me that having a gigantic burger right before bed, or 16 tablespoons of peanut butter (which is a lot of saturated fat) is not healthy for you. Don't get me wrong, I do follow some basics. I usually don't eat FCP all in one sitting, I don't eat carbs after eight o'clock, I have carbs for breakfast, some complex carbs about an hour before lifting and maybe a little gatorade (watered down) before I hit the gym. There was a time when eating clean was advocated and lifters were doing it for years. I don't know where this influx of information has came that says they've been wrong this entire time and all the plants and products mother nature gives us are suddenly not optimal for out bodies when we've been evolving to use them for hundreds of thousands of years.

As a "fat" kid, I eat all of the same foods you've listed above. Why not eat before you go to bed? You're going to be fasting for 6-8 hours. All the "experts" say that you shouldn't go more than 3 hours without eating. If I do the math correctly, you'll miss 2-3 feedings while you sleep.

How come a lot of guys will wake up in the middle of the night to eat a meal, when they're trying to gain weight?

I DO NOT disagree with eating clean. However, eating 1 bad meal a day while you gain weight is not gonna kill you. It's a temporary thing.

The same people that cry about being healthy seem to forget that BBing is not healthy at all. And BBers, are some of the most unhealthy people on the planet while getting ready for a contest. LOADS of drugs, reduced calories, at times, dehydration. Don't cry about health. Cutting? Restricting your body from getting the calories it needs? That's healthy?

Stop crying about health! It's unhealthy to run outside because of all the global warming gases. Don't run on pavement because it'll hurt your knees, feet, hips, blah, blah, blah. It's not healthy to lift weights because it tightens the muscles, which can lead to joint problems. It's not healthy to eat a lot of protein because it's tough on your kidneys. Don't hold your breath while you lift because it'll raise your blood pressure. The list goes on.

For all you health nuts, I would recommend this:

no more alcohol - EVER
careful which purified water you drink. It might not be purified
don't smoke
don't dip
no recreational drugs - EVER

It seems that all you guys that cry about health have NEVER done anything unhealthy in your life. Sorry to sound like a prick, here, but come on.

sharkall2003
09-13-2007, 10:23 AM
You're manipulating my posts to put stuff in there that I didn't say. Your body is in a recovery stage while sleeping. Having a sufficient amount of casein and other proteins with little fat and carbs is just fine about 30 minutes before bed. In fact, I said I don't eat carbs before bed. I didn't say anything else.

I'm not sure why guys will wake up in the middle of the night to eat a meal. Personally, I want uninterrupted sleep that lasts at least six hours.

One bad meal is being taken out of context here. Eating McDonalds everyday for a "meal" isn't exactly health conscious. There are many empty calories. But, I'm sure you'll have the "I eat a salad and water" response like most of the other people that advocate McDonalds use.

I'm not dieting down to 3% bodyfat like someone would for a bodybuilding competition. I'm looking for 200 lbs at 10%. That's not unhealthy at all, at least by literature that I've read. In fact, I've read that most bodies see the best results anywhere between 7-12% bodyfat. 7% being on the lower, 12% being on the higher. Of course, this is for overall athletic performance.

I'm an asthmatic, and at one time I did do some things I shouldn't have. I've stopped. I don't drink often, and when I do it's one mixed drink. Nothing terrible. I've done my fair share of unhealthy practices, but I do try and avoid them.

Eating a lot of protein isn't hard on your kidneys. That's myth. I believe they make the argument that it causes an ammonia build up in the body. It's so negligible unless you're consuming thousands of grams a day.

Now, I can make a manipulation of any statement. I could say that eating unhealthy (in this case McDonalds) once every ten days for one meal isn't a bad thing. And I'm sure I could say the same for all the other things you listed too, but that wouldn't be true. I'm sharing my ideas and saying that eating unhealthy in the majority of the time is not good. And I'm sure no one would advocate drinking, smoking, dipping, using recreational drugs daily etc, being health conscious.

KingJustin
09-13-2007, 11:17 AM
I just realized that by dipping you meant tobacco. Haha.

Rhodes, I'm 210-215/9-11% or so right now. I've gotten up to 230 on a fairly slow bulk, while training really hard, but it resulted in me getting up to ~17% body fat. I just know from my experience, that if I **** up everything, I'm putting on fat.

And I think the theoretical evidence is there for everything I mentioned as well, not to mention there's some studies showing each of the things makes significant differences in LBM. Do them all and I think it makes a pretty big difference at the end of a year. If someone's only "a little" committed to getting bigger/leaner, then I think it's kind of pointless, but if someone's fully dedicated, then they might care about the little things. I generally like the way I eat anyway so it's not much of a sacrifice.

As far as health, I do drink and I do lift heavy, which might not be the greatest for my health (I don't really think lifting heavy is that bad until I start moving amazing poundages). But, I like drinking and I like getting stronger. The minor changes in health from doing that are worth it to me. I stay very healthy anyway by eating healthy and exercising.

And I wasn't accusing you of drug use. I was just saying that I don't think everyone here can get to 250/9%--I'm pretty sure that Arnold was right around there in the off-season, with drugs and amazing genetics. I really don't think my body is capable of naturally getting anywhere past 225/9%.

At any rate, my point is that I think there's no way we can say it's for sure one way or another for every person. Some people are less prone to getting fat than others...

HahnB
09-13-2007, 11:30 AM
As a "fat" kid, I eat all of the same foods you've listed above. Why not eat before you go to bed? You're going to be fasting for 6-8 hours. All the "experts" say that you shouldn't go more than 3 hours without eating. If I do the math correctly, you'll miss 2-3 feedings while you sleep.

How come a lot of guys will wake up in the middle of the night to eat a meal, when they're trying to gain weight?

I DO NOT disagree with eating clean. However, eating 1 bad meal a day while you gain weight is not gonna kill you. It's a temporary thing.

The same people that cry about being healthy seem to forget that BBing is not healthy at all. And BBers, are some of the most unhealthy people on the planet while getting ready for a contest. LOADS of drugs, reduced calories, at times, dehydration. Don't cry about health. Cutting? Restricting your body from getting the calories it needs? That's healthy?

Stop crying about health! It's unhealthy to run outside because of all the global warming gases. Don't run on pavement because it'll hurt your knees, feet, hips, blah, blah, blah. It's not healthy to lift weights because it tightens the muscles, which can lead to joint problems. It's not healthy to eat a lot of protein because it's tough on your kidneys. Don't hold your breath while you lift because it'll raise your blood pressure. The list goes on.

no more alcohol - EVER
don't smoke
don't dip

It seems that all you guys that cry about health have NEVER done anything unhealthy in your life. Sorry to sound like a prick, here, but come on.

Being 50,75, or 100lbs overweight is MUCH more unhealthy than drinking alcohol once a week. The two aren't even comparable. I don't understand how any guy would NOT want to have a jawline. It's a distinctive characteristic of a man, not to mention one that most women find very attractive.

Con
09-13-2007, 11:32 AM
And I think the theoretical evidence is there for everything I mentioned as well, not to mention there's some studies showing each of the things makes significant differences in LBM. Do them all and I think it makes a pretty big difference at the end of a year. If someone's only "a little" committed to getting bigger/leaner, then I think it's kind of pointless, but if someone's fully dedicated, then they might care about the little things. I generally like the way I eat anyway so it's not much of a sacrifice.

How do you determine who is a little committed to someone who if fully?

Is it that they eat 100% "clean" foods all the time? Btw, how exactly is bad or unclean defined?

Or is it not eating certain things at certain times in the day? As if your body can tell time...

Or is it eating 6 times to elevate your metabolism?

Just curious again, becuase I think a lot of people, myself included sometimes, unneccesarily drive themselves crazy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe rhodes is correct for the most part. Before I thought he was advocating eating whatever, whenever you want. But in reality, he is advocating eating enough to grow and not sweat the details. How far you take that advice is up to the person.

Me personally, I wont sweat eating some junk as long as it fits into my plan. I will count cals, just because I have a HUGE appetite, and a seemingly amazing capacity for food in my stomache. Im going to push bigger and bigger weights and see where I end up.

KingJustin
09-13-2007, 12:03 PM
To me, commitment is (1) lifting really ****ing hard, (2) eating enough of the generally "healthy" foods to bulk (or little enough to cut), (3) sleeping 8+ hours a day, and (4) doing the "small" stuff that I outlined (btw, I don't really consider doing everything on there 'small' stuff ... I think it might mean going from 180/10% to 200/10% in a year vs 180/10% to 200/15% in a year ... which I consider a pretty big difference).

To me, though, I don't think it's that big of a deal to eat 'smart.' I hate fried foods and most fast food makes me want to puke. I have trouble eating a lot at one time, and I generally enjoy most of the foods that I eat. It's not too hard to keep fats from carbs, and most the rest is hardly a nuisance at all. So, I think it's pretty easy to eat smart.

BTW, even though I could have sworn it boosts my metabolism, studies have pretty conclusively shown that eating 6x/day doesn't boost metabolism by a significant amount. BUT, they have also shown that it still does have an effect on LBM. Your body can only handle so many carbs at one time before it starts converting it to fat. You can only drink so much whey protein (casein is not as big of a deal) at one time, before it starts getting converted to glucose, and then to fat. So, if you spread out the calories then they get used more for what they are intended rather than being stored as fat. It's also easier for me to spread my calories out, it gives me more energy throughout the day, etc.

RedSpikeyThing
09-13-2007, 01:24 PM
...big long post...

I agree. Well put.

Holto
09-13-2007, 01:46 PM
Dude, just eat. If you get hungry, you're not eating enough. You could gain your 20lbs in 4 weeks. I just put on 18lbs in 20 days. For all you worried about BF - mine went from 18.5 to 18.6. So, McDonald's won't kill you. Eat and stop worrying about counting calories. You're wasting time worrying about all that stuff on a weight gain plan. Eat - it's that simple

I call BS on this.

Sorry dude not remotely possible for someone who claims to be as advanced as you do.

I also did this drug-free.

LMAO!!!!!!!

What you are claiming to do have done is utterly impossible

RhodeHouse
09-13-2007, 01:55 PM
I call BS on this.

Sorry dude not remotely possible for someone who claims to be as advanced as you do.

LMAO!!!!!!!

What you are claiming to do have done is utterly impossible

And that, my friend, is why you fail.

Cirino83
09-13-2007, 02:28 PM
^^ wait, so you say you put on roughly a lb a day for almost 20 days (which is probably possible) but only added .1 bf%? (more than likely very not possible)

brihead301
09-13-2007, 02:31 PM
Ya, sorry dude, I'm not buying the 18 lbs. of lean mass in 20 days thing either.

HahnB
09-13-2007, 02:35 PM
It would be extremely difficult to add 18lbs of ANYTHING (water, fat, muscle) in 20 days. Hell, you could take a 140lb person and throw them on test, dbol, deca plus creatine and feed them 6k calories daily and they'd have a hard time putting on 18lbs in 20 days, and they'd be holding a hell of a lot of water too.

Brad263
09-13-2007, 02:47 PM
I added 1200 calories to my daily intake and started taking creatine again and I have only gained like 4 lbs in a month. 1 lb a week is about right, you claim you did 6 lbs a week!! theres no way.

Holto
09-13-2007, 03:36 PM
It would be extremely difficult to add 18lbs of ANYTHING (water, fat, muscle) in 20 days. Hell, you could take a 140lb person and throw them on test, dbol, deca plus creatine and feed them 6k calories daily and they'd have a hard time putting on 18lbs in 20 days, and they'd be holding a hell of a lot of water too.

This is why you won't be 325 @ 1%.

It has nothing to do with genetics, drugs or REALITY.

Your attitude stinks Hahn...get it together man.:thumbup:

Holto
09-13-2007, 03:37 PM
you claim you did 6 lbs a week!! theres no way.

Not only that but he claims he gained nearly pure muscle AND he's an extremely advanced lifter.

:thumbup:

Slim Schaedle
09-13-2007, 03:48 PM
Some parts of this thread makes me laugh.

But that's a good thing.

Blade55
09-13-2007, 04:11 PM
I laughed my ass off at the statement "anyone under 200 pounds is a woman" Go say to the 100 guys in UFC that are under 200 pounds...and get your head kicked in, RhodeHouse. Being over 200 pounds is no big accomplishment in life and doesn't make you more masculine.

RhodeHouse
09-13-2007, 05:36 PM
I laughed my ass off at the statement "anyone under 200 pounds is a woman" Go say to the 100 guys in UFC that are under 200 pounds...and get your head kicked in, RhodeHouse. Being over 200 pounds is no big accomplishment in life and doesn't make you more masculine.

Thanks Blade. Your words have really brought me back down to earth. I never knew that the reason I wanted to be over 200lbs is to feel more masculine. Wow, this is a crushing blow to my ego. I'm not sure I'll be able to go on. Does anyone have a good therapist I could talk to?

RhodeHouse
09-13-2007, 05:55 PM
Whoever talked about all the drugs - clearly has no idea about drugs and how they work.

As for the rest of you that doubt me - I DON'T REALLY CARE! I am fairly advanced as a lifter. And, I know how to do what needs to be done in order to gain weight. It's not rocket science like you guys think.

You guys can think what you like about my progress. You're the same people that look at Barry Bonds and attribute his success to steroids. You're the first people to knock someone down because they did something that you can't do. Go to EliteFTS.com and read about Matt Kroc dropping 21lbs in 15hrs and then putting it ALL back on in 20hrs. Anything is possible if you have any idea what to do.

I realize that over the internet it's sometimes tough to buy what people have to say, but, why would I lie about it? I could care less if you guys think I'm fat or not. I'm pretty proud of my success and feel it needs to be shared with those that are having trouble and are extremely close-minded about ways to achieve their goals.

I sorta feel bad for you guys that aren't asking me how I did it. I would think, anyone interested in putting on some weight would want some of my ideas. I know that's how I learned this stuff.

But, we all know that I am just so genetically gifted. It's ALL drugs and genetics. And, there is no way any of you will ever be able to do what I've figured out how to do, simply because I'm genetically superior to all of you.

Slim Schaedle
09-13-2007, 06:13 PM
I sorta feel bad for you guys that aren't asking me how I did it. I would think, anyone interested in putting on some weight would want some of my ideas. I know that's how I learned this stuff.

Previously posted....

Here's the reality of people trying to gain weight. If they don't know how to eat (and most don't) then counting calories is a waste of time. Just eat.

Keep it simple. Train hard. Eat smart. Worry about the particulars when you're about to step on stage.

Now, I don't really see any reason why we would need to ask you how you did it.

:windup:

Shouji
09-13-2007, 06:15 PM
I'm interested in how you gained 18 pounds in 4 weeks and only gained .1% bf.

Holto
09-13-2007, 06:22 PM
Whoever talked about all the drugs - clearly has no idea about drugs and how they work.

There are some folks in this thread that have learned more about anabolics than you ever will. They learned through READING and doing. Something you have admitted you have no interest in.

Why don't you call some people out and see if your knowledge stacks up.

It's not rocket science like you guys think.

Your absolutely right. If all we wanted was to be big, we could just lift big and eat big and watch our jawlines and belt buckles dissapear.

why would I lie about it?

I don't think you are lying. I just don't think you know enough about the human body to have a clue what you are talking about.

Tell me you measured your body fat the same way, same person, same pair of calipers and then I'll tell you that you are lying.

I sorta feel bad for you guys that aren't asking me how I did it.

We aren't asking you because you don't know. You lift weights not books. You can tell us what you did, you can't tell us why it worked. We want to know the whys and hows that are discovered through learning the underlying science.

I know that's how I learned this stuff.

What have you learned?

RhodeHouse
09-13-2007, 06:45 PM
Holto - all very good questions. Pardon my inability to quote eerything neatly.

1. Same person - same calipers - same locations - done. Same guy measures me every time I get it done. I'm now a liar?

2. Anabolics - I don't know everything, but I have a genius who advises me on what to take, when, and how. I let him do the research and explain it to me. However, the research I did about anabolics was a two year process before I stepped over to the Darkside.

3. I don't know a tremendous amount about the human body, like a Dr. does. Some basics that most lifters do know.
a. lots of protein - we all know the at least 1g per lb of BWT
b. lots of water/stay hydrated
c. good carbs - limit sugar
d. while gaining, continue to condition (cardio) but keep it light
e. use healthy fats to your advantage
f. eat as many times a day as possible - I eat 8-10x a day
Nothing earth-shattering that we all don't already know. However, it works.

4. To learn a lot of what I do know, I did read. I read a whole bunch. What I found is that real people/lifters know more than the books do because they've done it.

5. The what have I learned post is very broad. I've learned that people waste their time reading too much instead of doing. Someone posted somewhere that it's very individual specific. I agree. Everything that worked for me won't work for you, but some of it will. Most of the basics of gaining weight will. When it comes to me having to cut weight to make the 308's or 275's, you can bet your asses I'll be looking for advice.

I guess I understand the fact that some want to know the science behind it. To me, I'm more interested in getting it done the way my body needs to do it. Not the way science says it should be done.

I've found more success asking those that I want to be like/look like, than reading about it. That's where my lack of faith in science comes into play.

RhodeHouse
09-13-2007, 07:13 PM
I'm interested in how you gained 18 pounds in 4 weeks and only gained .1% bf.

This is what I ate:

Meal 1
2 packs of oatmeal made with milk
Protien shake w/2 cups of chocolate milk, 50g of powder, and 1 tbl spoon of Olive Oil

Meal 2
3 eggs
hamsteak
english muffin

Meal 3
same shake as above

Meal 4
8 oz of Chicken Breast/93% Lean Ground Beef/Pork
1 1/2 servings of rice/pasta

Meal 5
same shake as above

Meal 6
Same idea as Meal 4

Meal 7
Shake

Misc:
- I eat 2-3 Zone bars during the day
- I drink at least a gallon of Gatorade a day
- For 2 weeks I dropped 1 cup of milk and added a cup of heavy cream to my shakes in the AM and before bed to jumpstart the weight gain. I dropped the olive oil in the heavy cream shakes. It took 2 weeks before I gained a lb. As soon as the scale went up, I stopped the cream.
- I sleep 7-8hrs a night. I have a C-Pap, so my sleep is very deep and restful. That helps me A LOT!
- I walk 1 mile 3 days per week
- row 2,000m on Concept 2 Rower 1x per week
- push my truck for 5-10 trips of some distance 1x per week
- weights 3x per week

Supplements
- Multi-vitamin
- Red Yeast Rice and CoQ10 (for cholesterol)
- ALA 3x per day
- Flax Oil 2 caps 3x per day
- 1 Aspirin for the ticker

How did I only gain 1%?
1. My meal frequency increased from 4x to 7 planned meals, plus the bars I ate 2-3 more times each day. I still wake up dripping sweat with the AC cranking everyday.
2. My protein is always over 300g and usually closer to 400g per day. I make sure to get in at least 2100g per week. If I had a bad day of protein, I made up for it by the end of the week.
3. Being on my feet for 6-8hrs a day at work helps a lot as well. I'm always moving

Observations:
When I was 304 (a year ago for a contest) my waist was a 44 and my belly was 50". I lost 15lbs after that meet. Now, I'm 311. My waist is still a 44, but my belly is only a 48". I measure it when I'm pushing it out as if I'm squatting. As crazy as it sounds, I've noticed myself get leaner as I've gained. I attribute that to all my activity And, I limited my McD's intake. In that 3 week time, I ate it only 3x. For the first time, I've been really strict with my planned meals. And, the increased protein and activity have kept me leaner than usual. I know 18-19% is not lean to most, but it's pretty damn good over 300lbs. Once the "Darkside" kicks in, I'll lose more fat around my waist.

That's what I've done. Someone tell me the science behind it. Either way, it worked. In 2 months I'll squat a grand and all the work will be worth it.

Clifford Gillmore
09-13-2007, 07:26 PM

no more alcohol - EVER
don't smoke
don't dip

Solid advice.

As for everyone attempting to argue with Matt, The **** guys? He is bigger, definately stronger than all of you. I eat far worse, and train a heap less and I'm still losing fat and gaining strength. Everyone overcomplicates things that don't need to be, just because some guy with an MD.PhD,BDD or whatever has post a hypothosis on the internet. I wish I did have the internet.

Holto
09-13-2007, 07:46 PM
He is bigger, definately stronger than all of you.

Do you also believe he gained 18 of nearly pure muscle in 20 days?

Holto
09-13-2007, 07:48 PM
1. Same person - same calipers - same locations - done. Same guy measures me every time I get it done. I'm now a liar?

Yeah, pretty much.

I hate to say it because you seem like a nice guy and you want to help.

Do you think you can gain 18lbs (of nearly pure muscle) again?

How many more times do you think you can do it?

RhodeHouse
09-13-2007, 08:34 PM
If I said yes, I'd be a liar, now wouldn't I? Well, we'll see. I'm taking about 2 weeks off from stuffing my face. Everything I try to eat makes me gag. So, hopefully in 2 weeks, I'll be able to eat my wheels off again. My plan is to gain another 10lbs, maybe more. As long as I fit in my squat gear, I'll continue to gain.

Just to make you happy, I'll get my measurements taken again. I think I'll see the guy on Sunday. I will let you know the results.

Remember, I am genetically gifted. That's why it's so easy for me.

KingJustin
09-13-2007, 09:17 PM
I think you guys are being a little harsh on Rhodes. Even though I disagree a little with him, he's wayyy more advanced than anyone else on this thread and it's really an honor to have him on board. If someone told me he could squat 1,000 lbs, I'd probably call BS, too, but Rhodes has done that (I think?).

Anyway, it seems like there's more to his diet than just eating a lot and not caring about anything else.

Also, I might be getting the lifter wrong, but ... Rhodes, weren't you the lifter that played football with Jim Wendler and could only bench 225 after years of training?

RhodeHouse
09-13-2007, 09:59 PM
I think you guys are being a little harsh on Rhodes. Even though I disagree a little with him, he's wayyy more advanced than anyone else on this thread and it's really an honor to have him on board. If someone told me he could bench 1,000 lbs, I'd probably call BS, too, but Rhodes has done that (I think?).

Anyway, it seems like there's more to his diet than just eating a lot and not caring about anything else.

Also, I might be getting the lifter wrong, but ... Rhodes, weren't you the lifter that played football with Jim Wendler and could only bench 225 after years of training?

I never benched 1000! Not even close. I'm trying to squat 1000 in Novemeber. And yes, I did play with Jim Wendler in college. I assume you saw the video on EliteFTS.

It wasn't as bad as 225. I benched 285x1 and squatted 330x1. Pretty sad for a 250lb, D-1 football player. I put up those amazing numbers being trained and coached by the "experts" in strength and conditioning at The U of Arizona. All I've learned from the "experts" is what not to do.

I actually follow a lot of Jim W's philosophies on eating and training. He actually wrote something in his training log about his diet philosophies. If I can find it, I'll post it. But, I'm sure someone will call BS on that, too.

Too many non-believers. I need to find a new cult. KingJustin, you want in? All you have to do is agree with me in every 4th post
:bow:

sharkall2003
09-14-2007, 08:41 AM
I'll go with ya RhodeHouse. I'd do anything to get my lifts up. I"m a weak little bitch.

Eric Cartman
09-14-2007, 10:01 AM

Yes, its lame that this guy is saying "that separates us from them", like he is better then other people. We are all created equal, and to rag on someone who is out of shape and call them a dumbass is very arrogant and obnoxious. People post this like it is meant to be inspirational, and its just freakin rude... We aren't better then other people cause we lift weights... we simply have figured some things out that they haven't yet,.. and hopefully they will deal with their issues and become inspired to lift weights eventually, but not if we laugh at them...

EC

RhodeHouse
09-14-2007, 11:42 AM
Shark - same deal as KJ. You just have to agree with every 4th post I make and you're in. We won't have to drink Kool-aid and have a mass suicide, in case you were wondering. We may just have to feed at a different fast food restaurant of my choice each night.

HahnB
09-14-2007, 02:10 PM
Of course he's bigger and stronger than I'll ever be, we aren't debating that. His advice in this thread is terribly bias, and in a few cases just terrible in general. Him being more advanced than me has nothing to do with it, it's still bad advice. Telling a bodybuilder who's concerned about bf and their general health to eat like a 300lb power lifter-eating as much as possible and never counting calories- is bad advice.

brihead301
09-14-2007, 02:15 PM
Hey HahnB, what are your stats? You look around my size, but it looks like you have less bodyfat. I'm 182, 5'11, 14%.

Blade55
09-14-2007, 04:09 PM
He looks bigger than 182 to me....unless he's like 5'8?

Bako Lifter
09-14-2007, 04:18 PM

Because Spikey said it limits PERFORMANCE. Performing = lifting weights, nobody does that better than the PLers. Plus, they aren't fat.

Bako Lifter
09-14-2007, 04:20 PM
As far as the little weight classes - any man under 200lbs AND NOT DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT is a woman.

:swear:

LOL

HahnB
09-14-2007, 04:42 PM
Hey HahnB, what are your stats? You look around my size, but it looks like you have less bodyfat. I'm 182, 5'11, 14%.

I'm about 5'10, 198 (apparently I'm a woman)-my avatar was somewhere during my last cut.

sharkall2003
09-14-2007, 05:55 PM
Shark - same deal as KJ. You just have to agree with every 4th post I make and you're in. We won't have to drink Kool-aid and have a mass suicide, in case you were wondering. We may just have to feed at a different fast food restaurant of my choice each night.

Sounds good. :nod:

RedSpikeyThing
09-14-2007, 06:47 PM
Rhodes, since you pride yourself on walking the walk (and who doesn?), why don't you try cleaning up your diet for a few months and see how it impacts your performance? If calories are calories then, at worst, you'll progress the same way you are now. If they're not, then you'll end up better off than you were.

Like I said before, just look at Dave Tate.

RhodeHouse
09-15-2007, 03:19 PM
My goal is to squat 1000lbs. I will not change what has worked for me in my training cycles in the past. Besides, there's not a whole hell of a lot I could really clean up in my regular diet.

Here's how bad McD's is for performance.

April of this year I squatted 700x2
Last week I got 705x5

6 weeks ago I squatted 955@291

Sorry healthy eaters, bad food ain't all that bad for you. Maybe after my contest I'll show you how easy it can be to be in great shape over 300lbs.

As for my advice being bad - opinions vary

RedSpikeyThing
09-15-2007, 04:12 PM
Hey man, I'm not hating on fast food that much - just had 2 double cheese bugers and fries from McD's, actually :D All I'm saying is, why not give it a shot? At worst, you'll be making the same progress you are now. At best, you find something that allows you to progress faster and hit your 1k squat sooner.

RhodeHouse
09-15-2007, 04:43 PM
1000 will fall in November. It would've fallen today if i took it. There's no doubt in my mind. What you guys fail to understand is that I don't eat fast food very often. I have used it as a tool in the past in order to gain weight. I recommend it as a tool, because it works. It's very calorie dense food, so you're able to put a lot away. If you can have 2000-2500 calories at one sitting, it'll make it a lot easier to get the rest of your good food in. And, it'll make it much easier to hit your caloric goals for the day. But, my advice is just plain bad.

RedSpikeyThing
09-15-2007, 05:12 PM
1000 will fall in November. It would've fallen today if i took it. There's no doubt in my mind. What you guys fail to understand is that I don't eat fast food very often. I have used it as a tool in the past in order to gain weight. I recommend it as a tool, because it works. It's very calorie dense food, so you're able to put a lot away. If you can have 2000-2500 calories at one sitting, it'll make it a lot easier to get the rest of your good food in. And, it'll make it much easier to hit your caloric goals for the day. But, my advice is just plain bad.

That's not the way it was coming off in previous posts - that's why I kept bringing up Dave Tate as an example of ****ty diet.

RhodeHouse
09-15-2007, 06:31 PM
Spike - I know Dave Tate very well. On his crappy diet of McDonalds, he squatted 935, benched 630, and pulled in the mid 700's. He had to clean things up for health reasons, as I'm sure you know. However, his numbers speak for themselves.

HahnB
09-15-2007, 06:49 PM
My goal is to squat 1000lbs. I will not change what has worked for me in my training cycles in the past. Besides, there's not a whole hell of a lot I could really clean up in my regular diet.

Here's how bad McD's is for performance.

April of this year I squatted 700x2
Last week I got 705x5

6 weeks ago I squatted 955@291

Sorry healthy eaters, bad food ain't all that bad for you. Maybe after my contest I'll show you how easy it can be to be in great shape over 300lbs.

As for my advice being bad - opinions vary

Strength doesn't equal health. Also, unless you've conducted some sort of experiment, for all you know your lifts would be even higher with a better diet.

I'm sorry, but there's no such thing as being in "great shape at 300lbs". 300lbs is really bad for your heart among other things, no matter what your body fat is.

RedSpikeyThing
09-15-2007, 09:03 PM
Spike - I know Dave Tate very well. On his crappy diet of McDonalds, he squatted 935, benched 630, and pulled in the mid 700's. He had to clean things up for health reasons, as I'm sure you know. However, his numbers speak for themselves.

My question, which I guess can't really be answered, is could he have done better if he cleaned up his diet sooner? Or could he have achieved those results sooner?

BTW that's really cool that you know Dave Tate :thumbup:

RhodeHouse
09-16-2007, 10:40 AM
Strength doesn't equal health. Also, unless you've conducted some sort of experiment, for all you know your lifts would be even higher with a better diet.

I'm sorry, but there's no such thing as being in "great shape at 300lbs". 300lbs is really bad for your heart among other things, no matter what your body fat is.

Are you f#$%ing kidding me? I don't lift for health reasons. I have goals and I'm gonna do what needs to be done to reach them. That's why I can report success in almost every post I put in my training log. Having sex is probably bad for your health as well. Might catch a disease. You gonna stop F#$%ing? Health reasons. Enjoy your life of mediocrity and jealousy. While you're crying about health and why you can't reach your goals, eveyone with a set of balls (metaphorically speaking) will be reaching their goals. You can spend your time criticizing and knocking other people's hard work.

No 300lber is healthy? Can someone put this ****** out of his misery? You have no F#$%ing clue what you're talking about.

HahnB
09-16-2007, 10:47 AM
Are you f#$%ing kidding me? I don't lift for health reasons. I have goals and I'm gonna do what needs to be done to reach them. That's why I can report success in almost every post I put in my training log. Having sex is probably bad for your health as well. Might catch a disease. You gonna stop F#$%ing? Health reasons. Enjoy your life of mediocrity and jealousy. While you're crying about health and why you can't reach your goals, eveyone with a set of balls (metaphorically speaking) will be reaching their goals. You can spend your time criticizing and knocking other people's hard work.

No 300lber is healthy? Can someone put this ****** out of his misery? You have no F#$%ing clue what you're talking about.

Never once did I knock your hard work. I simply stated a fact that weighing 300lbs is not healthy. Then you make a personal attack on me. I've never been jealous of anyone in my life, and my life is far from mediocre. Then again, defending my personal life on the internet would make me look just as dumb as you, so I'll stop there.

Stumprrp
09-16-2007, 10:59 AM
i cant believe i actually read this ENTIRE thread.

what are we arguing here people? this is the F\/CKING INTERNET, the mans trying to make a god-damn point!!! WHEN YOU ARE YOUNG AND ABLE TO PUT ON WEIGHT FAST F\/CKING EAT, cut all the stupid ass chicken tuna and protien shakes at certian times of the day and LIVE YOUR LIFE, eat alot, nutritious foods WITH ALLOWING yourself to cheat when ever you want, it doesnt make a difference!!

im 18 years old, i eat what ever i want, im 225 lbs @ 19% body fat, and my blood pressure is 110/70.

GO FIGURE, i cant believe some of you arguing with rhodes, such thick headed people.

PS rhodes - your diet didnt look bad to me what so ever aside from some extra sugar from chocolate milk (which is damn good)

RhodeHouse
09-16-2007, 11:30 AM
Hahn - as stated earlier. You have no idea what you're talking about.

KingJustin
09-16-2007, 11:59 AM
i cant believe i actually read this ENTIRE thread.

what are we arguing here people? this is the F\/CKING INTERNET, the mans trying to make a god-damn point!!! WHEN YOU ARE YOUNG AND ABLE TO PUT ON WEIGHT FAST F\/CKING EAT, cut all the stupid ass chicken tuna and protien shakes at certian times of the day and LIVE YOUR LIFE, eat alot, nutritious foods WITH ALLOWING yourself to cheat when ever you want, it doesnt make a difference!!

im 18 years old, i eat what ever i want, im 225 lbs @ 19% body fat, and my blood pressure is 110/70.

GO FIGURE, i cant believe some of you arguing with rhodes, such thick headed people.

PS rhodes - your diet didnt look bad to me what so ever aside from some extra sugar from chocolate milk (which is damn good)

Stump, I'm just going to say that I disagree. I think it's person-specific. I know that if I don't eat right, I get fat. If I eat well, I stay lean. Either way, there's no downside to eating right other than the fact that it's harder for some people.

Look at all the **** Arnold did to build muscle. Do you think that his advice should bee taken by everybody?

HahnB
09-16-2007, 12:04 PM
Hahn - as stated earlier. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Have I ever told you what you should do to increase your squat? No. Have I ever told you should not eat like you do? No. That's not my place because you clearly know more about that than I would. Eating how you do may be fine for your goals. The only thing I did was state the following, all of which are true

1) For all you know, you MAY have been better off with a cleaner diet. There's no way you could possibly know this unless you tried it both ways

2) Weighing 300lbs, NO MATTER HOW STRONG YOU ARE, is NOT healthy. If you're going to disagree with this, you have some serious denial issues to deal with.

That's all I said. Never once did I say your lifestyle is stupid, or did I knock your hard work. I think you're under the impression that I feel like your goals are easier to accomplish than mine, because you eat whatever you want. I actually feel the exact opposite way. I realize what you do is hard, and there are lot more people in the world with my build than there are people as strong as you. I was just pointing out that it's not what I desire.

RhodeHouse
09-16-2007, 01:17 PM
Have I ever told you what you should do to increase your squat? No. Have I ever told you should not eat like you do? No. That's not my place because you clearly know more about that than I would. Eating how you do may be fine for your goals. The only thing I did was state the following, all of which are true

1) For all you know, you MAY have been better off with a cleaner diet. There's no way you could possibly know this unless you tried it both ways

2) Weighing 300lbs, NO MATTER HOW STRONG YOU ARE, is NOT healthy. If you're going to disagree with this, you have some serious denial issues to deal with.

That's all I said. Never once did I say your lifestyle is stupid, or did I knock your hard work. I think you're under the impression that I feel like your goals are easier to accomplish than mine, because you eat whatever you want. I actually feel the exact opposite way. I realize what you do is hard, and there are lot more people in the world with my build than there are people as strong as you. I was just pointing out that it's not what I desire.

Dude, the fact that you think anyone over 300lbs is unhealthy is one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever heard. Are you a Dr? How do you know this, FOR SURE? You don't. You just THINK people over 300lbs are unhealthy. WRONG! It has nothing to do with me being strong, or not.

And, I've posted what I've eaten to achieve my goals. I guess oatmeal, yogurt, granola, eggs, peanut butter, beef, chicken, pork, pasta, and rice is BAD for you. I ate fast food a handful of times so that I didn't have to skip a meal or because I was tired of cooking. The only thing I could do better is eat vegetables.

I stand by my earlier statement. You have no idea what you're talking about.

RedSpikeyThing
09-16-2007, 01:38 PM

What about someone who is 7' tall? Would 300 lbs be unhealthy then?

HahnB
09-16-2007, 02:00 PM
Go to a doctor and ask them if weighing 300lbs during your lifetime is healthy. I have a friend whose brother is a doctor, I'd be glad to ask him and report what he says. The fact that you need a doctor to confirm that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen on these boards.

If you went into a doctors office and told them that you consistently eat enormous amounts of food (a large portion of it being unhealthy) and your body weight is over, and will be over 300lbs for a long period of time, then asked him if this is healthy-he'd probably give you a justifiable look that would resemble a man trying to comprehend that there's actually a human being dumb enough to ask that question.

theravingphycho
09-16-2007, 03:17 PM
300 lbs is just a number

if they are a solid lump of muscle then i do not see how it can be unhealthy. Granted some mass monsters have breathing troubles because of all of the extra weight they carry, but to each his/her own at the end of the day. We can only advice :)

Last timei checked none of us here are qualified physicians either :D

HahnB
09-16-2007, 03:35 PM
wow. I'm done with this thread. Some people have their head so far up their ass it's ridiculous.

RhodeHouse
09-16-2007, 05:28 PM
Hahn - remove your head from your ass. I've posted several times what I eat on a regular basis. Try reading it.

i see my Dr every 6 months. No problems. I'll tell you why. I'm HEALTHY! Who'da thunk it?

Bottom line, be small and healthy and live forever. Have fun with it.

Holto
09-16-2007, 07:26 PM
http://media.myfoxdc.com/5th_grader/smarter.jpg

RhodeHouse
09-16-2007, 08:09 PM
http://media.myfoxdc.com/5th_grader/smarter.jpg

YOU AGAIN!

It's the same people that I piss off every time. That's funny to me. One would think they wouldn't pay any attention to my posts since I am not smarter than a 5th grader. But, I am bigger. Can you little boys say the same? One might also deduct (that means figure out) that, eventhough I stand by all of my advice, I might just try to get under your skin because it's fun.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
09-16-2007, 08:22 PM
But, I am bigger. Can you little boys say the same?Maybe if you didn't say stupid things like this, people would respect you more. Congrats on your progress, but don't be so damned prideful about it by putting yourself on this pedestal like you're better than everyone else. You've accomplished things most only dream of and my hat is off to you. But chill the f*** out. Respect is earned, not given blindly. Don't expect others to simply treat you a certain way because you're a Goliath of muscle. That's all fine and dandy, but like I said, respect is earned and you must treat others in the way that you want it reciprocated back to you. That sounds cheesy, but it's true. I can be an asshat sometimes and I know what kind of reaction I'll get. You act like an asshat and you seem like you're surprised every single time by it. Learn from it and try and understand why people react this way. They're not jealous...they truly think you're being an ass. Now I'm not saying I have anything against you, I just think you should chill a little, and so should everyone else. And you didn't get to where you are now by chance or by some mystical elf magic. You got there through years of hard work and I'm sure you have a lot of great advice to bestow upon others less experienced than you. I respect you in that regard, but try and be a little more patient with us "little boys".

Peace.

Holto
09-16-2007, 09:58 PM
One might also deduct (that means figure out)

Actually the word is deduce.

de·duct /dɪˈdʌkt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[di-duhkt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object)
1. to take away, as from a sum or amount: Once you deduct your expenses, there is nothing left.

RhodeHouse: 0
5th Graders: 1

RhodeHouse
09-16-2007, 10:13 PM
You got me!

Rhodehouse = BIG
Holto = small

No matter what, I can always fall back on this one. It's like a booty call. You just know she's gonna be there for you everytime.

It's sad that you looked up the word in the dictionary or on the net just to prove me wrong. The power I have!

Scarz - I hear you. I don't need respect here. I have advice that works. Take it or leave it. I enjoy the posts. I laugh and have a good time when I respond. I have a bad sense of humor, not nearly as talented, but much like Andy Kaufman. I don't care how people on here "treat" me. This board is fun for me and I know what I'm talking about. If people get offended, try removing the sand from your vaginas. I know there are people on here that have figured me out. Hopefully, they see my stupid humor and laugh. Those guys are all in my cult. Those that think I'm an "ass" - that's fine, too. My paycheck is still the same whether some people like me or not. And, I'm not surprised when people react they way they do to my posts. Part of the fun I have with it. SFW!

Bako Lifter
09-17-2007, 12:08 AM
Rhodehouse = BIG
Holto = small

Uh-oh, somebody give holto some sunscreen for that burn. Lmao

Hey Rhodes, if some day these guys finally piss you off to the point where you decide to leave WBB, tell me where you're gonna go. Because I'll go with you.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
09-17-2007, 12:50 AM
Scarz - I hear you. I don't need respect here. I have advice that works. Take it or leave it. I enjoy the posts. I laugh and have a good time when I respond. I have a bad sense of humor, not nearly as talented, but much like Andy Kaufman. I don't care how people on here "treat" me. This board is fun for me and I know what I'm talking about. If people get offended, try removing the sand from your vaginas. I know there are people on here that have figured me out. Hopefully, they see my stupid humor and laugh. Those guys are all in my cult. Those that think I'm an "ass" - that's fine, too. My paycheck is still the same whether some people like me or not. And, I'm not surprised when people react they way they do to my posts. Part of the fun I have with it. SFW!Eh...I'm used to it. Doesn't bother me. I hear sand in vaginas is all the rage these days though. :thumbup:

brihead301
09-17-2007, 07:06 AM
Lol, I like this site.

Btw, I'm bigger then a 5th grader too. I swear.

Slim Schaedle
09-17-2007, 11:32 AM
Actually the word is deduce.

de·duct /dɪˈdʌkt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[di-duhkt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object)
1. to take away, as from a sum or amount: Once you deduct your expenses, there is nothing left.

RhodeHouse: 0
5th Graders: 1

HA

you beat me to it

Rhodes, I really don't think anyone here gets pissed off by anything you say. If anything, they realize that some things sound stupid and they have a differing opinion. And there's nothing wrong with that. Using the computer in order to debate something doesn't necessarily mean other posters walk away from their keyboards red-faced and stricken with contempt at the fact that you diasgree with them or say things to try to get under their skin.

RhodeHouse
09-17-2007, 06:35 PM
Thanks Slim.

Scarz - I think sandy vaginas are the rage. My geirlfriend has some sand in hers right now. I can bet my left nut that I put it there, too. Not in the good way, though.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
09-17-2007, 08:29 PM
Thanks Slim.

Scarz - I think sandy vaginas are the rage. My geirlfriend has some sand in hers right now. I can bet my left nut that I put it there, too. Not in the good way, though.Maybe you should have that looked at. :scratch:

murray421
09-18-2007, 12:12 AM
wow, great ideas

RhodeHouse
09-18-2007, 07:59 AM
Maybe you should have that looked at. :scratch:

If I get it looked at, that'll mean I have to admit there's a problem. If I admit that, she'll rule me forever! I'm pretty sure I can just sweep it under the rug and it'll go away. Right?