PDA

View Full Version : Teutates's Journal

Teutates
09-12-2007, 10:32 AM
Starting this journal to help me with my motivation and to track my progress.

I currently weigh 200lbs and have an unknown BF % (probably 23-25%). Used to wear 32 pants, now wear 33 or 34 (much of my weight is in my legs rather than stomach, though don't get me wrong, I have more than a bit of pooch).

Goal: Getting Married in May, would like to be 175 and at least 12% BF for the honeymoon.

Eating: 1600 calories a day. Trying to cut out drinking except an occasional drink on weekends.

For the first 6 weeks I will be cutting, aiming for 2 lbs a week. Starting next week I am going to eat a semi-low carb type diet (greens / vegetables ok, still going to drink milk too) with an Ephedra/Caffeine stack as was recommended. I say starting next week because I have bought groceries this week and don't wish to waste the food (I am a poor college student) and I have to wait to get the Ephedra in the mail.

After the first 6 weeks, going to gain for 6 weeks and so on. I don't want to lose too much of whatever little muscle I have, and I hate being weak in the gym, so want to go up some.

edit: this week I am doing Monday, Wed, Friday, and maybe next week to ease into it, but next week or the week after I am going to do a 4 day split.

WillKuenzel
09-12-2007, 10:40 AM
First off, congratulations on the soon be to marriage! One of the best things that ever happened to me.

Good luck with the fat loss. Keep it simple and enjoy life. Don't get discouraged if you don't lose 2lbs a week. Honestly, I think that's just a tad much. One pound a week ensures that it's not muscle you're losing and you need to keep as much muscle as you can. Again, good luck, stay steady and never hesitate to ask questions!

Teutates
09-12-2007, 10:43 AM
Monday 9/10:

Started off with Dumbell Bench Presses, It had been awhile so I picked up the 40lb dumbells. Did 1 set of 10 and picked up the 45s

Did 2 sets of 8, couldn't finish the 3rd set. I'm weak.

There was some huge guy curling what I was benching. Talk about emasculation. I'm glad he didn't laugh or anything.

I went to OH presses with DBs next. Damn, my endurance is crap as well as my strength, my arms already felt like rubber. I pick up the 25lb dumbells and barely push out the first set of 10. Second set I was aiming for 8 reps but barely made 6 when I had a sharp pain in my arm. I think I was pushing too hard. Perhaps I should have started with the machine.

I went to the Lat pulls but couldn't pull one due the pain in my shoulder. My face burning bright in shame I went to the treadmill. I walked 30 mins at 4 MPH (I have an existing knee problem, so I have to work my way up slowly )
and by then my arm wasn't hurting.

Ah hell, why not! I go back and finish my lat pull downs. 3 X 10 at 45lbs and some cable rows ( 4 X 10 @ 50lbs). Barely got the rows in before I started hurting again. Oh well, did some sit ups on the ball and went home.

I forgot to do side bends and back extensions. Damnit. Wednesday I'm bringing a checklist.

Teutates
09-12-2007, 08:12 PM
Wed, 9/12:

Still sore from Monday. I parked in a different commuter parking off campus so I could walk to work. Usually I take the bus and I have to walk about 1/8th of a mile. This other parking lot it a bit less than a mile (12-15 minute walk at a decent pace). Now that it isn't scorching (I have to wear slacks and a button up shirt for work) I plan on walking as much as possible to and from work (and classes, both of which are near each other on campus).

Today was a good day, but it was leg day. I did 3 sets (of 10) of squats. Didn't know what weight to do since it has been so long and my gym only has a smith machine. So I piled on 60lbs on the bar and did these. I am ashamed to say that it was rough that last set. I don't know how much those bars weigh, but hopefully something. If squatting 60lbs is that harsh, I have some work ahead of me.

I worked a couple sets (of 10) on the Glute machine (70lbs, some sort of kick back thing), 3 sets (of 10) on the sitting leg curl for my hammies (90lbs). I also did a quick heavy set of wrist twists (heavy for me- 30lbs) and a solitary set of tricept extensions, only one set cause I decided I should move it to chest/shoulder day (correct me if I am wrong, but shouldn't they need a break?). I walked again for 30 minutes at 4 MPH. Had to slow it down a couple times because my back is killing me (from the squats, in a good way though), but my knee didn't even twinge once.

God, I'm out of shape. One more day this week and I am going to try to kick it up a notch. Well, off to buy groceries for next week.

Teutates
09-13-2007, 10:21 AM
Update: Figured out what I am going to eat next week and the week after that. Might change it up a bit after that. Haven't decided if I can eat the same thing for 6 weeks (two is definitely doable)

.............................................. Cals.......Protein....Carbs...Fat....Fiber

16 oz Chicken (2 breasts) .............460...........90.........0......12
1 cup cottage cheese (fat free)......140...........16.........10
2 cup milk (2%)............................240...........16.........22....10
1 1/2 cup Special K (p+)................200...........20.........28.....61.....10
I can Black Beans.........................385...........24.5.......66.....4.......24.5

I guess I'm not doing pure no-carb, but it is lowish carb. (a mere 35% of calories). I would drop the Beans, but I don't want to take fiber supplements and black beans are good with some peppers. I plan on putting black pepper and cayanne pepper in my cottage cheese and I have a handmade spicy bbq sauce to put on the chicken. (I put Mad Dog 357 sauce (http://www.firegirl.com/hs1163md.html) in K.C Masterpiece) It adds 75-100 calories of mostly sugar, but I'm thinking with all the capsaicin I am eating I think they won't be an issue. (I could give it up, but I love it soooo).

The Special K is fast to make in the morning, and is the Extra protein kind (10g per 3/4 cup serving, its no supplement, but it works good with milk). I would make eggs or oatmeal every day, but I'm going to be lazy. I work 20+ hours a week and go to school full time and I have a fiance, and while those aren't great excuses, I'm hoping I don't catch too much flack because of the situation. :)

Teutates
09-19-2007, 08:52 AM
I'm far behind on this, doh. I'll update when I get home from work. I did weigh myself at 193.5lbs this morning. I'm sure a huge percentage of that is water, but I have been drinking like 3+ liters of water (I have a 1.5 liter bottle I drink two full of water, plus food, plus the odd cup and glass of water or can of soda) and I lost nearly 6lbs of water weight since I started my ECA stack on Sunday. Crazy.

Teutates
09-19-2007, 12:23 PM
Monday, Sept 19th
Ok, So Monday was my first day at the gym on the ECA stack. For my workout I did Incline DB bench-presses, OH DB presses, DB rows, shrugs and some wrist twists. I have decided, while I am cutting in such exceess, not to stress my muscles out more than they can handle so I am doing 3 sets of each, and only those listed above. I may incorporate some curls and tricep extensions or something a bit later when I start my slow bulk.

DB BP: 2 x 8 @ 40lbs, decided to try a set with 45lbs and got 6 reps in.
OH Press: 3 x 8 @ 25lbs
DB Rows: Did 2 x 10 @ 35lbs and 1 set of 40lbs for 8 reps (For each side)
Shrugs: 3 x 10 @ 40lbs
Wrist Twist: 2 x 10 x 30 lbs
Also walked on the treadmill for 32 minutes at 4.0 mph

Still getting a feel for what I can and cannot do, hence the change in weight.

Teutates
09-19-2007, 12:29 PM
Wednesday, Sept 18th.

Leg day! My choice of exercises are as follows:

Squat (on Smith machine): 3 x 6 @ 70lbs (plate weight, dunno what bar weighs)
SLDL (with Dumbbells): 3 x 5 @ 55lbs (two dumbbells at 55 lbs)
Sit-ups: 2 x 10 with 20 lb dumbell
Side Bends: 2 x 8 x 30lbs (yes, holding only ONE dumbbell, lol)
Back Extension: 2 x 10

I have not done a good squat workout in some time, so my weight sucks. We don't have an Olympic bar at the gym, so I am using dumbbells for everything except the squat. I thought of doing good-mornings, and I will when I max out the dumbbells on the SLDL. (They have 115 lb dumbbells I think)

Anyway, for the squat, I am not sure what the bar weighs, but I'm not too worried about it, as long as I know I am making gains (at least when I bulk), I don't care what my total weight is. When my contract is up, I am going to switch gyms.

edit: oh, I ran at 4.1 mph for 30 mins. Come Thursday I plan on trying to ramp it up to 4.2 and Friday 4.3. Next week I am going to jog / run alternating at 5 mph.

Teutates
09-24-2007, 11:14 AM
Didn't get in Thursday and Friday like I hoped, but I went in on Saturday and did a combo workout. The next couple weeks looks bad, so I am going to plan on going 3 times a week and working around school. My Fiance and I started playing Tennis for 30mins to an hour on the weekends, and with dance lessons for 2 hours twice a week, I think I am getting good cardio and general fitness, if I absolutely MUST cut down lifting twice a week, I will figure something out. Right now I am cutting and more worried about cardiovascular health and the lifting is more preservation since I can't really gain while cutting as much as I am.

My average weight for the week was 196.4, just below my target weight of 196.5. Cheated twice this weekend, but still didn't go over my 2800 calories that I know I burn every day. Saturday night went to Fuddruckers and had a 1/2 lb burger and fries with a beer. In the morning my Fiance treated me to breakfast at Bob Evans. I had 3 eggs over medium, 3 slices of bacon, ate half of my potato squares, and two biscuits (bad me, bad) with honey on em (only a little bit though). Also for lunch I made spaghetti (1 cup for each of us) with sauce and some textured soy protein I threw in the sauce. YUM.

All in all I did pretty good. I didn't go crazy with my cheat day(s) and stayed active. Even though all day Saturday, other than the gym, was spent doing homework sitting at the computer. God I hate school and damn busy work.