PDA

View Full Version : Squat Vs. Leg Press

1600TigerFan
09-12-2007, 06:14 PM
We have a pretty decent debate going on in our hometown highschool forum regarding strength training using Squats vs. Leg Presses. I'd love to hear input from anyone qualified in College / Professional training. Thanks.

Unholy
09-12-2007, 06:22 PM
Do a search or get flamed.

Personally I would love to flame you.

Chris255
09-12-2007, 06:30 PM
LOL, this is gonna be so one sided its not even funny. Squats, easy.

Read, print/paste this and show everyone.
http://www.med.und.nodak.edu/depts/pt/research/Plyo3/LegPressvsSquat.htm

Edit
So many people are gonna open this thread and be like "what a f**king idiot" and then go back to the main forum, lmao.

Lones Green
09-12-2007, 06:33 PM
oh wow...squats, easily. :bang:

schmitty199
09-12-2007, 08:01 PM
Lol id guess the people who are saying leg press are the people to lazy to squat or people with weak legs who feel good doing big weights on the leg press because they cant do it anywhere else.

Theres really no debate here. It's squats.

Bikkstah
09-12-2007, 08:36 PM
Squats unless you have ****ty knees. Don't trade in your wheels for robot legs if you have knee shearing or ACL issues or anything like that just because someone on the internet told you to squat.

Lones Green
09-12-2007, 09:58 PM
Squats unless you have ****ty knees. Don't trade in your wheels for robot legs if you have knee shearing or ACL issues or anything like that just because someone on the internet told you to squat.

if you perform squats correctly, you aren't going to end up with "robot legs." Sensei has filmed around 20 videos all about proper squat form, and different variations of the squat. squats can also be used as a great rehab exercise, even if they are with just bodyweight. plus i dont think it's just "someone on the internet" who is going to pick squats > leg press, ask the top powerlifters, bodybuilders, and training experts and see what your response is.

Keith
09-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Leg extension FTW!!

KingWilder
09-12-2007, 10:29 PM

actually if you perform squats correctly you should have no problems with your knees

Brad263
09-13-2007, 11:09 AM
I have always done the Leg Press. Mainly because I figured it was the same thing and I didn't have anyone to show me proper squat form. I watched some videos and read some articles on squating and had a friend show/watch me. It turned my legs into Jello. I could barely walk the rest of the day and stairs suck right now. So lets just say Squats > Leg Press

SW
09-13-2007, 03:42 PM
Squat hard untill you can hardly stand it due to lactic acid, then legpress till the same happens. Eat, sleep, repeat. oh yeah...GROW.

Bikkstah
09-13-2007, 08:36 PM
if you perform squats correctly, you aren't going to end up with "robot legs." Sensei has filmed around 20 videos all about proper squat form, and different variations of the squat. squats can also be used as a great rehab exercise, even if they are with just bodyweight. plus i dont think it's just "someone on the internet" who is going to pick squats > leg press, ask the top powerlifters, bodybuilders, and training experts and see what your response is.

Incorrect. I have knee pain unless I wrap them. Without wraps my knees and shins ache for days and sometimes weeks, no pain when I wrap. My knees are all dicked up from running 10+ miles a day for years + wearing too much weight on my back in Iraq without any knee support. If I didn't take precaution with my knees, simply putting all that weight on my back with squats would destroy my legs. I wasn't arguing that squatting is not great compared to leg press, I was arguing that people with dicked up knees should be cautious when squatting.

Levantar
09-13-2007, 08:50 PM
Incorrect. I have knee pain unless I wrap them. Without wraps my knees and shins ache for days and sometimes weeks, no pain when I wrap. My knees are all dicked up from running 10+ miles a day for years + wearing too much weight on my back in Iraq without any knee support. If I didn't take precaution with my knees, simply putting all that weight on my back with squats would destroy my legs. I wasn't arguing that squatting is not great compared to leg press, I was arguing that people with dicked up knees should be cautious when squatting.

"EVERYONE" should be cautious when squatting.

redFury
09-13-2007, 11:17 PM
Do squats for sure... but safely.

pbal17
09-14-2007, 12:31 AM
squats by 100000%. i used to do leg press, til i could rep over 500lb. tried squats and since then ill never go back

Ramstein85
09-14-2007, 09:58 AM
Squats. I can rep 150 kg with the press and with squats i do 5x5 wit 85 LOL thats how big the difference is. Its just the fact squat has many more muscles at work. Stabilizers like lower back, abs, a fat ass weight on your traps etc

live2lift
09-14-2007, 10:11 AM
Ever wonder why squats take it out of you SO much more than leg presses? Theres a reason for that. Prolly the same reason its more exausting to get off your butt and goto the gym than it is to click the remote on your tv. Do you want the easy way out with some results or work hard and do things right for great results? I guess thats what you have to ask yourself.

MPB
09-15-2007, 12:32 AM
Haha reminds me of one time at the gym when I was squatting 285 lbs, my whole face was purple with blood veins popping out and there was this one old lady, who seemed to be disgusted by the fact that I was squatting. Her son who seemed very young then told her "mom i wanna squat too" and she made him do leg press, saying less weights and lots of reps will tone his legs, I think the weight he was pushing was about 50 pounds, about 30 reps :D