View Full Version : Volleyball
09-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Over the past month or two, I have taken a casual interest in volleyball. But, I'm looking for something in the gym to help me on the court.
So far, I've looked at three categories:
1) Hitting strength (because I'm mostly at the net)---> Shoulder and not sure what else is involved
2) Jump height/Hang time---> Oly movements, Box Jumps, and other jumping exercises.
3) Agility/Quickness on the court---> 8 seconds sprint, 15 second jog, rinse and repeat. Also, I do drills that work on changing directions fast such as going to a parking lot, run to 1st space and turn around, and do that for a row of spaces.
I'm asking for some advice to improve these three areas of the game, and if I left any areas out, feel free to interject about those.
09-15-2007, 08:09 PM
No volleyball players on this site?
11-12-2007, 11:58 AM
I had a program and I can't find it now that I did before my season..it incluced alot of agility and speed movement,cone hops, jumping on the spot knees to chest, 30 yard sprints and stuff like that. Weightroom wise there was quite a few olympic lifts which are useful because of the explosion you get out of them which is needed for hitting/ blocking.
Lots of ab work - this helps with vert
a strong back and shoulders for hitting
When your lifting focus on explosive power rather than heavy weights slowly just explosively.
if that makes sense
01-16-2008, 11:01 AM
I play vball at a pretty high level.
Hitting power is a combination of lats, chest, shoulders, rotator cuff, traps and abs. Essentially everything upper body. It is a lot like a pitch in baseball. Honestly, if you are just starting out, technique will to way more than strength to improve your swings.
As for everything else, jump training. It will make you jump hire and be faster on the court. There's really nothing else to improve on for vball physically (although upper body and jumping training pretty much covers everything anyhow).
If you want to dicuss jump training, I'm at a great and very informative site called w w w . theverticalsummit . com (omit the spaces obviously). This is our focus there and our passion.
01-27-2008, 09:03 PM
I play beach vball at a high lvl. I would recommend the following:
1. Cardio. This is something I've been working on recently. It doesn't matter what your vert is in the beginning of the game if you are too tired to jump by the end.
2. Squats. You need a good amount of leg strength before you work on plyo's. Jumping ability is a combination of leg strength and quickly generated power.
3. Plyo's. Your fast twitch muscle fibers need to be developed as much as possible.
3. Overall upper body strength along with just hitting balls with good technique. The more balls you hit, the more developed your fast twitch muscle fibers involved in the swing will become. You can also use your abs to whip your body and hit harder.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.