PDA

View Full Version : Question about a fixed caloric intake to take you through bulk, maintenance, and cut

Questor
09-12-2007, 09:19 PM
If someone maintained at 3000, and was eating 3500, he would bulk. Until his maintenance was 3500. Would he then continue to put on muscle s l o w l y until his mainteance was actually 4000 and he was essentially cutting?

Would there be any advantages to this?

Or would it just be a fantastic way to waste a year of lifting?

Jordanbcool
09-12-2007, 09:37 PM
If someone maintained at 3000, and was eating 3500, he would bulk. Until his maintenance was 3500. Would he then continue to put on muscle s l o w l y until his mainteance was actually 4000 and he was essentially cutting?

Would there be any advantages to this?

Or would it just be a fantastic way to waste a year of lifting?

A fantastic way to waste a year.

Progress is not linear.

Blade55
09-15-2007, 12:11 PM
Actually, chris mason explained this to me. If you stay at maintence and stay at your current weight and do a bodybuilding specific routine, you can cut your bodyfat, stay at the same weight, and gain muscle.

RedSpikeyThing
09-15-2007, 05:14 PM
How? To lose bodyfat you need to be in a calorie deficit, to gain muscle its a excess

Newbie gains and body recomp. It can be done, but it takes a long time.

Shankerr
09-15-2007, 05:27 PM
Can someone tell me what the point of trying a diet like that would be? hahahahaha

Questor
09-15-2007, 05:37 PM
I'm not really sure if there would be any benefit.

I was just wondering about it.

1ManRiot
09-15-2007, 08:13 PM
Can someone tell me what the point of trying a diet like that would be? hahahahaha
A diet like what!? Losing BF and building LBM!? If a proven method comes along, then I want in on the action!

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
09-16-2007, 01:12 AM
A diet like what!? Losing BF and building LBM!? If a proven method comes along, then I want in on the action!http://ud2.lylemcdonald.com/

Please...just stop.

Blade55
09-16-2007, 09:54 AM
I would think chris mason knows what he's talking about...unless I misunderstood him? I could've swear he said it's possible to maintain your calories staying at the same weight AND losing bodyfat at the same time.

Jordanbcool
09-16-2007, 01:24 PM
I would think chris mason knows what he's talking about...unless I misunderstood him? I could've swear he said it's possible to maintain your calories staying at the same weight AND losing bodyfat at the same time.

You misunderstood him.

If you're gaining LBM your bodyfat is going to go down. How? Because LBM and fat are dependent on your entire body WEIGHT. So if you're gaining lean muscle your body fat percentage can very well go down. However, you aren't actually losing any fat at all. Simply adding more LBM in comparison.

Get it?

Jordanbcool
09-16-2007, 01:25 PM
Also to the OP. I wouldn't try such an approach. Body re comps are grueling IMO and I think you can make better progress simply by cutting and bulking. You can try it but I think it would be a huge waste of time.

smalls
09-16-2007, 04:53 PM
A fantastic way to waste a year.

Progress is not linear.

I dont think I have ever agreed with one of your posts more strongly. Exactly my thoughts, it's waste of time, which is evil.

Questor
09-16-2007, 09:24 PM
Yeah I'm not in for experimenting with that kind of time. The thought just struck me one evening and on a lark I put it up here.

I'll stick with tried and true methods.

1ManRiot
09-17-2007, 12:38 PM
http://ud2.lylemcdonald.com/

Please...just stop.
You mate, are a prize pr1ck, and UD2 is essentially a cutting diet.

Do you honestly believe that a CKD is an effective way to make quality lean gains?

Keith
09-17-2007, 12:43 PM

Do you honestly believe that a CKD is an effective way to make quality lean gains?

What made him a prick for what he said?

UD 2.0 DOES allow you to add on LBM. Although it's primary purpose is to cut, yes.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
09-17-2007, 01:04 PM

Do you honestly believe that a CKD is an effective way to make quality lean gains?Did you not read what you wrote? You said if there's a proven way to lean out while adding LBM, you'd like to hear about. Or do you have the memory span of a goldfish and forget what you say instantly? I never said it was a way to make "quality gains" because it is essentially a cutting diet. Adding "quality gains" has nothing to do with your quoted text.

Shall I quote you again? Maybe you'll actually read what I quoted this time ~>

A diet like what!? Losing BF and building LBM!? If a proven method comes along, then I want in on the action!Is there something I missed? And your post was bleeding with sarcasm and I then followed up with showing you a proven method. Congrats on however you came to your wild conclusion.

sharkall2003
09-17-2007, 01:19 PM
I once read on one of Belials posts that it's a waste to cut and bulk. Instead, recomp at a certain weight. I think that would be applicable here.

1ManRiot
09-17-2007, 01:27 PM
Did you not read what you wrote? You said if there's a proven way to lean out while adding LBM, you'd like to hear about. Or do you have the memory span of a goldfish and forget what you say instantly? I never said it was a way to make "quality gains" because it is essentially a cutting diet. Adding "quality gains" has nothing to do with your quoted text.

Is there something I missed? And your post was bleeding with sarcasm and I then followed up with showing you a proven method. Congrats on however you came to your wild conclusion.
Well quoted, you'll note I used the word "proven". Some people might make minor gains from it. Hardly a proven method is it?

smalls
09-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Did you not read what you wrote? You said if there's a proven way to lean out while adding LBM, you'd like to hear about. Or do you have the memory span of a goldfish and forget what you say instantly? I never said it was a way to make "quality gains" because it is essentially a cutting diet. Adding "quality gains" has nothing to do with your quoted text.

Is there something I missed? And your post was bleeding with sarcasm and I then followed up with showing you a proven method. Congrats on however you came to your wild conclusion.

LOL, maybe he has a higher standard for "proven" than a bunch of ass-kissers who think the mirror, their lifts in the gym and some calipers show that they gained muscle while dieting. Not saying it is or is not being accomplished by people, but most people dont understand or poorly misrepresent their own results to convince themselves they have done both, simply becuase their skinfold BF% tells them they did.

And the ass-kisser statement refers to the lyle and other guru groupies on this and other boards, I dont know who exaclty they are, just making a general statement of WHO is reporting these amazing proven results.

Con
09-17-2007, 02:03 PM
Im confused. I know its peoples opinions, but Id like a finite answer.

Ive also head that cutting and bulking can be a waste of time. The logical thing would to do a slow and steady approach, that could possibly include a recomp.

For people who want to get bigger and stronger, but dont have the greatest base, what is really recommended?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
09-17-2007, 02:04 PM
@ smalls:

I'm definitely not a Lyle groupie, but he was making it seem as if it was impossible (leaning out and adding LBM) by the way he was posting. Leaning out and adding LBM is certainly a bitch to do though. I'd much rather bulk and cut later...unless I absolutely need to start getting down to ridiculously small body fat percentage numbers, but I won't be competing anytime soon. Maybe someday I will.

but most people dont understand or poorly misrepresent their own results to convince themselves they have done both, simply becuase their skinfold BF% tells them they did.I do agree that it can be misconstrued by people's own inaccurate data analysis, but it's not out of the question.

smalls
09-17-2007, 02:12 PM
Agreed.

Blade55
09-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Im confused. I know its peoples opinions, but Id like a finite answer.

Haha, me too. I'm confused as a mother****er in this thread.

I've also read that Belial said bulking and cutting is a complete waste of time...but what is recomping at a certain weight? I've never heard that term, honestly. Isn't that what chris mason said? I checked and that's what he told me, you can maintain at a calorie level, work on hypertrophy of your muscles, which would cut your bodyfat down without losing any weight. Chris knows his stuff too.

Maybe Beliah will further explain why he thinks the traditional bulk and cut is a waste of time.