PDA

View Full Version : Cholesterol

1ManRiot
09-12-2007, 11:17 PM
Tell me what cholesterol means to you... :idea:

1ManRiot
09-13-2007, 11:44 AM
Anything at all. I have my reasons for asking.

Tell me anything; a fact about cholesterol, how it features in your diet, your opinions, anything....

Teutates
09-13-2007, 11:49 AM
Fact: Blood cholesterol and Dietary cholesterol aren't the same thing.
Fact: Only about 1/4 of your blood cholesterol comes from your diet.
Fact: Genetics play a huge role in how high your cholesterol level is.

Get it checked regularly and see if you can regulate it by diet. Many cannot.

1ManRiot
09-13-2007, 12:25 PM
Fact: Blood cholesterol and Dietary cholesterol aren't the same thing.
A good fact.

Fact: Only about 1/4 of your blood cholesterol comes from your diet.
Although a very good point, this is simply so different from person to person, diet to diet.

Fact: Genetics play a huge role in how high your cholesterol level is.
I assume you mean serum-cholesterol? This is a point I am interested, it kinda fits in with the above fact, personally I'd like to know more about how genetics play a role in serum cholesterol levels.

Any more for any more?

Built
09-13-2007, 12:48 PM
Mine dropped like a stone when I increased dietary fat and protein, reduced carbs and calories, ditched jogging and started weight training.

Unholy
09-13-2007, 12:53 PM

Crack

Slim Schaedle
09-13-2007, 03:12 PM

If I was the first ever to develop an HMG-CoA-Reductase Inhibitor, I would be on some exotic island and not in the lab right now.

Teutates
09-13-2007, 04:10 PM
Although a very good point, this is simply so different from person to person, diet to diet.

There are going to be some outliers on the bell curve, but not many. I know what you are trying to say though, I think. There are people that take cholesterol drugs because working on the diet didn't help. In fact, when I was going to school to be a pharmacist, I worked in a pharmacy for over a year and I saw a few people's dosage increase through that span. I asked if they changed their eating habits, but they had not. There are also those people that can eat 12 eggs a day every day (yolk and all) and not have their cholesterol increase at all.

I assume you mean serum-cholesterol? This is a point I am interested, it kinda fits in with the above fact, personally I'd like to know more about how genetics play a role in serum cholesterol levels.

That is what I mean, yes. I took mostly chemisty and biochemistry classes before I switched majors, so my knowledge of that level of genetics is way beyond me. I do know, unless things have changed quite recently, that science does not fully understand the mechanisms behind the physiological reasons some have higher cholesterol than others, and why some seem so untouched by dietary cholesterol and others get worse no matter what they eat or don't eat.

You could probably spend your whole life doing research to find out though. I'm sure there are many out there looking for just those answers.

theravingphycho
09-15-2007, 04:50 AM

Its the precurson to testesterone