PDA

View Full Version : Bulking Progress

BigBossMan
09-13-2007, 07:56 AM
Wannabebig forum members,

I haven't been on in a long time do to the fact that I have been extremely busy. I wanted to let you know how my bulking is going and see if you think things are progressing okay. I have been bulking for four weeks now. I weighed 177 originally I cut down to 162 to start then I did three weeks of maintainance and began bulking. I almost done with my fourth week and I weighed in at 168 today up from 162 so that is about 1.5lbs a week gain. Is this too fast? too slow? To be honest it feels really slow but I am trying to keep my gut in check. I have been making strength gains for the first time in my life it is pretty amazing how that works. I set PR last week and this week.

I have been eating around 3500 cals during the week and attempting to get in about 3000 on the weekend but and generally fall a little short. I think I have been getting around 3000 I just forget to put stuff in because I am crazy busy on the weekend. I would say that I have been averaging around 3200 kcal a day.

Here is my fitday:

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=MicahKurz

Con
09-13-2007, 07:59 AM
so that is about 1.5lbs a week

I have been making strength gains

Two key points.

Only thing else I would do is note bodycomp changes.

Calipers, tape measure, mirror and the scale should tell you if you are getting too fat.

theravingphycho
09-15-2007, 04:37 AM
if youre a natural trainer then 1-1.5 lbs of muscle is achievable every month

anything over this is going to be fat or water with some slightly higher glycogen storage levels

BigBossMan
09-18-2007, 08:21 AM
if youre a natural trainer then 1-1.5 lbs of muscle is achievable every month

anything over this is going to be fat or water with some slightly higher glycogen storage levels

1-1.5 a month???That seems riduculously slow I thought it was 1-1.5 a week? Are you sure about that?

nzk
09-18-2007, 09:13 AM
he's talking about pure muscle, not total weight.

theravingphycho
09-18-2007, 09:46 AM
1-1.5 a month???That seems riduculously slow I thought it was 1-1.5 a week? Are you sure about that?

Pretty sure mate. Thats lean muscle BTW not body weight

1lb of lean muscle will not mean 1lb gained its more due to increased glycogen storage and water storage as well

With gear its slightly higher. If you gain 6lbs a month it will be more fat than lean tissue (newbie gains and anabolic rebound is another matter entirely)

let me know your thoughts on this litle article

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1268956

BigBossMan
09-18-2007, 10:05 AM
Wow. That is rather depressing. I haven't noticed much fat gain but seeing as I have gained close to 8lbs now in just over a month.....bummer. For some reason I thought that I read somewhere that a clean bulk would be about 1-1.5lbs a week....I guess maybe I should lower the cals and slow things down a bit...Thanks for the feedback I will read the T-nation article.

BigBossMan
09-18-2007, 10:32 AM
let me know your thoughts on this litle article

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1268956

yeah I have read this before.....I actually printed out the calorie recommendations and have it in my WO book at home. I just kept seeing all these stories in member pics where guys put on like 50lbs in eight months and what not....and wanted to do the same! I didn't expect it to take 3years to put on 50lbs...oh well patience is the key here I can see thatI think I will lower my cals to around 3000 go for month and check the scale and take it from there. Thanks for the input!!!

HahnB
09-18-2007, 10:38 AM
Don't try to accomplish what should take 3 months in 1 month, you're just going to add fat that can otherwise be avoided. Your body can only build so much muscle, and pushing it farther will only force it to gain fat. Go by the mirror, take things slow but make sure you are progressing at a rate that you feel is sufficient.