PDA

View Full Version : Bottom position lifts

Hazerboy
09-13-2007, 08:17 PM
Rereading my copy of "Dinosaur Training," I'm finding that many of the old time strongman performed the squat and bench from the bottom position because of lack of equipment. Squat racks, for instance, where hard to find, thus some men simply dug a large hole in the ground to stand in and squatted out of that. Similarly, when bench uprights where not available, one would simply clean the weight to his thighs while sitting on the bench, role it back to his chest, and press. This sort of training is notorious for building great power in the lower part of the lifts, but I'm also wondering in this day and age of judging discrepancies and gear arguments if it might be a great idea to go back to the bottom position squat/bench in competitions to level the playing field. For instance, if I'm not mistaken Paul Anderson was known to have trained this way, and I've never heard of anyone questioning whether or not this guy's strength was "legit" or not.

Sure, the totals would be smaller, but it would sure clear up all the dispute on whether or not one went parallel or touched his chest. As far as gear goes, you'd have to be able to get underneath the bar so most suits/shirts would be out, eliminating anyone bitching about the lifter's gear. Whadaya think?

RhodeHouse
09-13-2007, 08:26 PM
Not to sound like a dick, but anyone who would care about this, is probably just weak. powerlifting is about moving as much weight as possible. It's also disrespectful to the guys that bust their ass by questioning their totals. It's all a matter of opinion, though. I'm sure a lot of you guys will like this idea.

Detard
09-13-2007, 08:44 PM
I think that those methods are good for training (example, dead press or rack lockouts) but like Rhodes said, powerlifting is about pushing as much weight as you can.

deeder
09-13-2007, 09:59 PM
But..... WHY?????

Stumprrp
09-16-2007, 04:40 PM
dinosaur training is an awesome book, dead pressing and squatting is very, very difficult.

Hazerboy
09-17-2007, 10:08 AM
But..... WHY?????

Clear up disputes over form and gear.

deeder
09-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Clear up disputes over form and gear.

Who's disputing?

Stumprrp
09-17-2007, 12:42 PM
for example, you can do more weight if you start a deadlift from the top and touch the floor, instead of lifting it DEAD off the ground, deadlift is one of the best power building exersizes right? why not train squat from the bottom DEAD and bench from the chest DEAD?

if you NOT a powerlifter but someone looking to get big and strong its actually fantastic to train like that.

WillKuenzel
09-17-2007, 12:43 PM
Clear up disputes over form and gear.You'll always have those. The deadlift is still always challenged and all you have to do is stand up with it. There'll always be different federations of powerlifting just like there are different bodybuilding committees and strongman groups. You have those that everybody knows but there are always those "others".

drew
09-18-2007, 05:00 AM
Why can't we all just stop crying about it and lift heavy weights?

WillKuenzel
09-18-2007, 05:19 AM
Because higher levels of testosterone means higher levels of estrogen and that means more crying!