PDA

View Full Version : Does cooking change calories, etc??

HP666
09-14-2007, 05:34 AM
As an example, I have Large eggs. On the package's Nutrition Facts it has 1 Egg as 70 Calories, 4g Total Fat, 6g Protein, 0g Carbs

Yet when I put 1 Egg cooked, scrambled on Fitday they list the Large egg at 101 Calories, 7g Fat, 7g Protein, 1g Carbs.

I may be splitting hairs here but I was just wondering if that cooking the egg does actually have the effect of changing the numbers?

Alex.V
09-14-2007, 05:55 AM
That's why I don't like these websites.

People usually add butter or oil to eggs when they scramble them. It's adding that in. True, in most diners, this is how you'll get them. But if you do it yourself, just use the raw ingredients.

Cooking something in oil etc. will obviously add to the calories. Grilling something (so the fat bubbles off) will obviously decrease the calories.

Other than that, cooking doesn't really change the caloric content much at all.

HP666
09-14-2007, 06:07 AM
That's why I don't like these websites.

People usually add butter or oil to eggs when they scramble them. It's adding that in. True, in most diners, this is how you'll get them. But if you do it yourself, just use the raw ingredients.

Cooking something in oil etc. will obviously add to the calories. Grilling something (so the fat bubbles off) will obviously decrease the calories.

Other than that, cooking doesn't really change the caloric content much at all.

Actually Fitday doesn't add the oil/butter etc, you have to do it yourself. I'm just gonna put each food in custom when it varies like that.

Bikkstah
09-14-2007, 06:32 AM
It does add it in, it's the only calorie site where 6 egg whites have 22g of carbs.

entropy1
09-14-2007, 08:50 AM
it does slightly, by changing the digestiblity of the food.

sharkall2003
09-14-2007, 09:02 AM
Does it matter that much to you? It mike make a one or two gram difference. You're over complicating the situation way too much.

entropy1
09-14-2007, 09:29 AM
^well said

HP666
09-14-2007, 06:34 PM
Does it matter that much to you? It mike make a one or two gram difference. You're over complicating the situation way too much.

^well said

I love comments like this. I only asked a simple question. I didn't say I was some anal retentive ****** who was over complicating anything and was gonna let this ruin my whole day. I was just looking for some info, which I got, so thank you.

theravingphycho
09-15-2007, 04:27 AM
go via raw values

Unless you drian away fat the calories dont change. 200g of raw chicken still has the same values as 120g of cooked chicken only difference is water is lost