PDA

View Full Version : High Protein, Low Cholesteral foods??

z_dog
09-14-2007, 04:53 PM
Yo,

I have high cholesterol (high 200's) and I'm wondering if anyone knows what the heck I can eat for protein and bulking up. It's a hereditary thing, but I don't know what else to eat. I need protein or I get really skinny and don't keep the mega-mass on. I've got an extremely high metabolism, even at age 40. Everyone tells me I should lay off the red meat, chicken and even fish because of my high cholesterol. But I'm so addicted to lifting and being as big as I can possibly be that I think I'd rather chance keeling over from a heart attack than laying off meat.

Anyone have any advice in this area?

getfit
09-14-2007, 04:56 PM
cottage cheese,egg whites

z_dog
09-14-2007, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I've been hitting the eggwhites like they're going out of style, but it just doesn't seem like it's as "solid" as meat. I wish I could stomach cottage cheese, but that's one of the few foods that I just can't eat. Any other ideas so I can mix it up a bit? There's got to be other builders in the same boat as me. Thanks again.

1ManRiot
09-14-2007, 05:17 PM
What has your doctor suggested mate?

Built
09-14-2007, 05:48 PM
I'm older than you and my cholesterol used to be high.

How's your diet and your bodyfat% currently - and are you natty or assisted?

theravingphycho
09-15-2007, 04:23 AM
whats your current diet like, what about EFA fat consumption as well as veg

z_dog
09-17-2007, 09:33 AM
My doc told me to cut out all meat and wants me to go on medication for lowering cholesterol. I told him no way. I have friends on that crap and it makes them go to the bathroom every hour and makes their body/muscles sore. He wants me to eliminate all of the meat and limit it to fish 2-3 times/week, and eat nuts and beans for protein. I just don't think -I KNOW I WON"T- get what I need to maintain the mass.

theravingphycho
09-17-2007, 11:11 AM
you can easily eat nuts, egg whites, grains etc to maintain you mass it may just take some eating thats all. Cholesterol as you well know is produced by your body naturally so diet influences your levels somewhat

Have you eaten any oily fish or O3 rich foods as these help lower levels. Do you eat a lot of things like peanut butter as well as these are very high in O6 which if it isnt balanced out then can lead to health issues.

post up your current diet and lets see if the community here can perhaps suggest changes where you can keep your mass yet avoid the meds route

Built
09-17-2007, 12:29 PM
Post your routine, too. I brought my cholesterol down from 234 to 132 when I changed my diet and training from lowfat + cardio to higher fat and protein + heavy lifting and HIIT.

sharkall2003
09-17-2007, 02:42 PM
Wasn't there information on certain fats lowering cholesterol? Poly and monos? I'll come back if I can find some more info.

Max Thunder
09-17-2007, 04:05 PM
from lowfat + cardio to higher fat and protein + heavy lifting and HIIT.

Alleluia!