PDA

View Full Version : Started Westside

BFGUITAR
09-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Well it has been one week on it and I hit my bench and squat PRs that I previously had done, I think thats a good base to start.

They felt easier than I thought, I can see how practical the DE days really are. Ill let you guys know how I do in the later weeks.

Lones Green
09-14-2007, 10:07 PM
squats a

Lones Green
09-14-2007, 10:07 PM
squats and DL's on the same day is pretty tough for me.

noahfor123
09-14-2007, 10:19 PM
Are you a raw lifter?

IZich
09-15-2007, 02:58 AM
squats and DL's on the same day is pretty tough for me.

????

redFury
09-15-2007, 08:29 AM
I've had some success doing a westside hybrid over the last few months. But I never Squat and DL on the same day... though I mix up the assistance exercises at will.

RedSpikeyThing
09-15-2007, 08:57 AM
Squatting heavy and deadlifting heavy in the same day will eventually catch up with you. Do one heavy and do the other light, or go for speed.
For example, your ME Lower day might look like this:

Squat - Work up to 1 RM
Deadlift - 6x1 @ 60%, followed by 1 @ 85% to see where your speed is at
Good Mornings - 4x6-8
Lower back and abs

Congrats on matching your old PR, btw.

samj
09-15-2007, 11:20 AM
Thats what i do
one day is deadlift heavy
squat light
other day is squat heavy
sumo deadlift light

BFGUITAR
09-17-2007, 06:52 PM
Yes I am a raw lifter, I dont think im worthy at this point for anything else.

I feel my bench is going to go up the most, as it sucks balls.

noahfor123
09-17-2007, 06:59 PM
I'm also a raw lifter, and I also just following Westside template. I'm wondering, are you doing anything differently or anything special because you lift raw?

RedSpikeyThing
09-17-2007, 08:42 PM
I'm also a raw lifter, and I also just following Westside template. I'm wondering, are you doing anything differently or anything special because you lift raw?

Everything I've read has said to raise the percentages you train with by at least 10%, so you're working in the 60-70% instead of 50-60. In terms of bench press, I understand that most people can lock out whatever they can get off their chest, so bottom end strength is key.

BFGUITAR
09-17-2007, 08:57 PM
I dont do anything special, I dont think I need anything else at this point in the routine.

noahfor123
09-18-2007, 11:20 AM
I dont do anything special, I dont think I need anything else at this point in the routine.

It's not that you need to do anything special or anything else (I realize these are the words I used), but you should pick exercises that are going to help you out as a raw lifter. Alot of the examples of routines based on the template will have exercises selected that help shirted benchers, like three or four board presses or something. You as someone who isn't using a shirt might not want to do these, and instead do something that works the bottom of the lift. It wouldn't be doing anything special or anything else. It would just be using the principles. I'm new to this too. I'm just trying to figure it out for myself.

The one question I have is does the raw lifter need to focus so much on triceps? It seems that, next to the max effort exercise, triceps work has the greatest emphasis put on it. Should the same emphasis be put on triceps work if the lifter doesn't wear a shirt?