PDA

View Full Version : How do you eat an Elephant?

MrBulknCut
09-14-2007, 11:58 PM
One bite at a time

Today was a day of preparation for my lifestyle change. I went to the store and got all of the proper food items. I think I will refer to my food or meals as fuel just to look at it different. I also got a new digital scale to weigh my food and Wal-Mart had a clearance on weight scales that go up to 400lbs so I go one of those as well. I plan on getting my official starting weight and photos done Saturday.

As far as exercise, I did some walking around Wal-Mart for about an hour then at home I did 3 set of 10 of standing squats. I also have a Ketlebell that I used like a dumbbell and did 3 sets of 10 of curls and side lateral raises.

working on my list of 50 things to do before I turn 50.

MrBulknCut
09-16-2007, 12:54 AM
Today or I guess by this posting time yesterday was a busy day for me. My Daughter had a CC invitational that I went to so I did a TON of walking. In fact I walked so much that my two toes got blisters which is my fault because I normally wear my Injinji socks but did not today. I am proud that since I was gone all day I made great choices for my fuel which is a lot harder when you are at home and have it made. Once I got home I got my new scale out and my offical weigh in is Sunday morning but I got on it and I was quite upset as I am heavier than thought. I will give official numbers on Sunday.

I do plan on making my meals (fuel) for the week all on Sunday, with the invention of throwaway Tupperware I can make them and just give them a quick zap in the micro or eat cold.

PS My daughter who just started CC this year has sahve almost 4 minutes off her time in the last month. Her first race her time was 20:41 and today she did a 16:34!

RedSpikeyThing
09-16-2007, 09:28 AM
I'm glad you're diving in to this. Throw out all of the crap food in your house and replace it with good stuff. Keep your journal updated. One of the best things you can do for motivation is look back on your journal and see how much you've improved.

Congrats on taking the first steps to changing your life and I hope I get t read a success story in the making :)

MrBulknCut
09-17-2007, 06:22 PM
waiting for updates!

Sorry for no updates but my old computer had dies last week ( it was 7 years old) and I was using a friends tower but he needed it back on Sunday so today I went a got a brand new Dell!

Advantages: Went from a 20G HD to a 250G HD, Now can watch and burn DVD's,
processor is 3x faster and I went from 512 MB of RAAM to 2 GB of RAAM

Disadvantage: I can only buy a Dell with Vista

Then on Sunday my wife and I were driving around our new town and found a gym called Total Fitness. I went in just to get a price sheet and this place was just WOW!, I have belonged to Gold's, LA Fitness, ETC and this was just as big and brand new but in this dinky town I live in. So this cute girl comes over and I ask "how much for a membership" and she informs me that you have to take the tour before you talk package prices. So I get my wife to come in and tell her that we have to get the "tour" for the hard sell and not to get too excited because we would never be able to afford this. Long story short it was only a one time $49.00 enrolment fee then $29.00 a month for me and $15.00 a month for my wife. unlimmted tanning was a extra $14.00 a month or $4.00 a session and I figured I dont need to tan because what is the difference betwwen a 400lb tan man or a 400 lb pasty white man.

Advantages: Cheap, fingerprint entry (so membership card), 4 miles away, for every parking space they have a piece of cardio equipment so you dont have to wait, 24 hours

Disadvates: no juice bar, or steam or suanas

So we are working out 6 days a week:

Tue, Thurs,& Sat is 20 minutes of cardio and then one trip around the circuit training

Sun, Wed, & Fri is 60 minutes of just cardio

Mondays off

All workouts start and end on this, I dont know what to call it other than a stretching chair

I have been doing great with my meals and I have switched over to Diet Dew as I make the total switch to just water. The only bad thing in the last two days was this.

Sunday morning I opened up my new scale and did my first official weigh in, I was thinking I would be around 367 I was 397.8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RedSpikeyThing
09-17-2007, 06:26 PM
So we are working out 6 days a week:

Tue, Thurs,& Sat is 20 minutes of cardio and then one trip around the circuit training

Sun, Wed, & Fri is 60 minutes of just cardio

Mondays off

This is no good. Do a weight training routine like Wanna Be Big #1 and throw in some HIIT (google it, read built's article "How to do cardio if you must"). 60 minutes of cardio is not going to help you.

EDIT: Sounds like a decent gym. Juice bar? Who cares.

MrBulknCut
09-17-2007, 06:59 PM
This is no good. Do a weight training routine like Wanna Be Big #1 and throw in some HIIT (google it, read built's article "How to do cardio if you must"). 60 minutes of cardio is not going to help you.

EDIT: Sounds like a decent gym. Juice bar? Who cares.

OK thanks

MrBulknCut
09-18-2007, 08:39 PM
Today was a LOOOONG day!, started out with a visit to the doctors and that was a time hog. Then I went to the gym with my wife and we did 20 minutes of Cardio and 1 round on the circuit weight training.

Then we had to drive about a hour to watch my daughter run at a CC race and I got some walking in there as well because I walked to the wrong side to be at the 1 mile mark to give her the split time when she ran by. But then I had to walk the whole way over to the real 1 mile mark and then after she ran I had to get back to the finish line.

All meals were spot on, I am not too hungry but I am tired and sore.

MrBulknCut
09-21-2007, 12:39 PM
Last two days have been really good for me, the only problem I had was that I got a big blister on my foot. I guess I should know better than to hit the ground running (sorry for the pun) but to ease back into a workout routine. I mean my body went from a workout being the fact that the fast food drive thru was broke and I had to go inside to doing cardio everyday and lifting every other day.

One thing that I have found is that since I started doing my workout's and eating better that I am doing more things than just watch TV. I just checked my TIVO and my there are a ton of things on the hard drive that I just dont have time to watch.

Anyhow food(fuel) intake has been really on the spot, and yesterday I only drank 1 Mt Dew. I had blood drawn today to get a CBC, Metabolic Panel, Glucose, Cholesterol, Thyroid, and my T levels so I know where I am at.

Well I go to go burn a safety pin to pop my blister and take my shot... will post this weekend.

Sumorai
09-21-2007, 01:01 PM
Mr. BnC,

I wanted to chime and share my support. I too am morbidly obese at 6'4" and 320+ lbs. Feel free to PM me if you ever want to talk. I cannot advise you on anything, but if you need some positive motivation and someone who can relate to what you are going through, then I may be able to help. I also wanted to thank you for posting about the scales at Wal-Mart. I will look into that. I had no idea that scales of such capacity were available to the general retail consumer. Only high end scales like the kind physicians use have been able to weigh me since I went over 300lbs.

MrBulknCut
09-21-2007, 11:33 PM
Mr. BnC,

I wanted to chime and share my support. I too am morbidly obese at 6'4" and 320+ lbs. Feel free to PM me if you ever want to talk. I cannot advise you on anything, but if you need some positive motivation and someone who can relate to what you are going through, then I may be able to help. I also wanted to thank you for posting about the scales at Wal-Mart. I will look into that. I had no idea that scales of such capacity were available to the general retail consumer. Only high end scales like the kind physicians use have been able to weigh me since I went over 300lbs.

thank you for the support

MrBulknCut
09-21-2007, 11:49 PM
Mr. BnC,

this link is not Wal Mart but this was the model they were selling

http://www.unbeatablesale.com/esxl400lbhic.html?utm_source=froogle4&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=ESCAL003&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=ESCAL003

Organichu
09-22-2007, 12:27 AM
Hi,

Have you taken pictures? I think that would be a HUGE step for you. It's up to you whether you opt to post them openly (IMO a great way to make yourself accountable), but even if you don't I still suggest taking them for your own personal records.

Good job so far!

VikingWarlord
09-22-2007, 09:26 AM
I can only buy a Dell with Vista

Dell with WinXP (http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/winxp_inspndt?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn)

If you don't like it, send it back within 21 days and get what you want.

That out of the way, good luck and good job deciding to start. It's a long road and it sucks most of the time, but making it through is the best reward you can imagine.

VikingWarlord
09-22-2007, 09:31 AM
Hi,

Have you taken pictures? I think that would be a HUGE step for you. It's up to you whether you opt to post them openly (IMO a great way to make yourself accountable), but even if you don't I still suggest taking them for your own personal records.

Good job so far!

Excellent idea. Take a full set of pics and measurements every 2 months or so and keep a log. You don't have to share any of it if you don't want to, but being able to see your progress in front of your eyes so far definitely helps keep your motivation up through those tough times.

Ask Built. She really hates not having any before pics.

MrBulknCut
09-23-2007, 06:49 PM
Not a bad weekend, I think I need to switch our day off from the gym from Monday's to Sunday's. Sunday's for me is so packed from Church, family events, and we always watch a movie as a family on Sundays. I know that my gym is 24 hours but I think it will be just easier to do it this way.

I did break and drank two Mt Dews today because I am weak... other than that all things are good except for some pangs of hunger.

MrBulknCut
09-25-2007, 04:24 PM
Last two days have been upside down for me, some big time personal issues that I wont bore anyone with. Anyhow even with driving around the last two days I was still able to come close to sticking to my food plan. I ate a lot of Subway Veggie Delight subs. Anyhow I am going back to the gym on Wednesday, I was thinking of going tonight since my gym is 24 hours and I am a night owl but I was told that working out late at night is bad for you.

Side note on Monday night I got home and reached into the fridge and grabbed a cold chicken breast that I had cooked the week before ( I try to cook a weeks meal at a time) and this piece was so dry that I took a bite and about chocked to death.

Down to 1 Mt Dew a day and trying to drink 1 gallon of water a day.