PDA

View Full Version : Substituting Crossfit Workouts for DE Days?

IZich
09-15-2007, 10:25 PM
Hey all:

I'm doing great on the Westside program, but I'd like to incorporate more crossfit-style training into my workouts. What would be the benefits/disadvantages of doing them as a supplemental workout after my speed set on DE Days? I would imagine they would similarly help train my body for speed and explosion. Thoughts?

To clarify, I would be taking out the regular "BB-Style" workout that goes after my speed set on DE days, and replacing them with a Crossfit WOD.

LouPac
09-15-2007, 10:34 PM
Crossfit workouts are great, some of the WODs can be pretty demanding. Sometimes I can't even finish a whole WOD, especially if I do one after a regular workout, light or heavy. They've definitely helped me build endurance and cardio.

Bako Lifter
09-15-2007, 10:37 PM
Crossfit would probably make for some kick ass GPP.

Sensei
09-16-2007, 07:36 AM
It would depend on the WoD you do, but I don't think you're doing the best thing by mixing a WS template w. WoDs.

Stumprrp
09-16-2007, 08:07 AM
i agree with sensei you have to do crossfit on there own days, DE days after speed work are simply muscle building assistance exersices, while you can build muscle with crossfit, its not benefiting you as much, imo.

RedSpikeyThing
09-16-2007, 09:09 AM
I was thinking about adding it in once a week on my mid-week off day. Thoughts?

Sensei
09-16-2007, 09:44 AM
Again, I think it depends on the WoD and the person. If you think you need to improve your work capacity, it might be a good idea to add an extra session somewhere, but if it starts affecting your main DE/ME sessions, you need to rethink it.

KingJustin
09-16-2007, 10:04 AM
I basically do Westside, and I usually do the CrossFit metcon workouts on my off days. I think it's pretty effective at increasing work capacity/stamina/muscle endurance.

But, everybody's different.

Chubrock
09-16-2007, 10:28 AM
You've got to realize that CF is a set of ideals, must like the stuff from Westside Barbell. There are many different "CF WoDs." Some are geared towards Met Con, some towards ME work etc etc. To say you're going to do CF for your DE days is like saying you're going to lift weights for your DE days.

RhodeHouse
09-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Izich, what are your goals. If you want to get bigger and stronger as a PLer, stick to the Westside stuff. If you want to be a good PLer, you only need to be inshape to compete in PLing. You have to figure out what your goals are.

Anthony
09-16-2007, 03:34 PM
You've got to realize that CF is a set of ideals, must like the stuff from Westside Barbell. There are many different "CF WoDs." Some are geared towards Met Con, some towards ME work etc etc. To say you're going to do CF for your DE days is like saying you're going to lift weights for your DE days.

:withstupi

I wouldn't replace DE with GPP if you actually need the DE.

IZich
09-20-2007, 12:49 AM
Izich, what are your goals. If you want to get bigger and stronger as a PLer, stick to the Westside stuff. If you want to be a good PLer, you only need to be inshape to compete in PLing. You have to figure out what your goals are.

Rhodes, you're right. I'll take a bit of time and think hard about what I really want to do with these next few years. Thanks everyone for your input on mixing CF with westside.

manowar669
09-20-2007, 05:59 AM
I was wondering this as well. Something like a weighted "JT" for the bench DE day (Ring dips, pushups, and handstand pushups for time). Maybe one of the Deadlift/clean/pullup DE type WODs for the squat/DL DE day.

Anthony
09-20-2007, 07:00 AM
Speed work done on a DE day is not the same as GPP work done for time. Just because both of them have "fast" elements doesn't mean you can swap them out and expect the same results. They have completely different purposes.

That doesn't mean you can't replace DE with GPP ... just understand the difference between them.