PDA

View Full Version : How many calories should I eat?

Notorious
09-17-2007, 04:41 PM
I am 17 years old, 5' 10'' and weigh about 140 lbs. I am 10% body fat and would like to get it down to about 8% (whenever I get a 6 pack), but I would also like to gain a lot of muscle mass.
I work out for about half an hour 5 days a week and do HIIT 3-4 times a week. I also take 5 grams of creatine about an hour before each workout and drink plenty of water. Right now I limit myself to about 2000 calories a day (usually get at least 100g of protein). I think that that's probably not enough to gain serious muscle, but I also want to lose fat. Should I up the calories and is there anything I can do to gain muscle and burn fat at the same time?

Thanks for the help!

VikingWarlord
09-17-2007, 05:05 PM
Should I up the calories and is there anything I can do to gain muscle and burn fat at the same time?

Absolutely up the calories. As for the second half of the question, unless you're brand new to the game...no. Pick one and do it, then do the other one. Getting to 8% bodyfat would mean you'd have to lose just under 3lbs. That's just pedantic.

Lift heavy and eat your face off.

Notorious
09-17-2007, 05:09 PM
If I do go down to 8% and then up the calories, keeping the same workout routine, am I right in assuming my BF percent will also go up? In other words, if I want to do both, do I have to get big before I lose fat?

markdk86
09-17-2007, 05:14 PM
One, not both you must do.

VikingWarlord
09-17-2007, 05:34 PM
For your purposes, you can't realistically gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.

If you cut first, then bulk, you'll have to cut again, completely negating the first cut you did. If you start now and bulk slow and clean, you'll minimize fat gain and only have to cut once. Spend the time you'd spend trying to shed that paltry 3lbs and just bulk first.

Not to sound like a dick, but if you're anything like most of the other high school kids that come around, you'll do what you want to do and will keep asking the same question until someone gives you the answer you want to hear, but believe me when I say that trying to get even leaner than you are now is just a waste of time that could be better spent packing on mass. The more LBM you have, the easier it is to cut anyway.

As an added bonus, if you grow all your muscles, you'll be able to get better definition without having to get to single digit bodyfat.

Better answers can be given if you provide specifics as to your routine and diet.

ArmandSV
09-17-2007, 05:38 PM
you probably could design a clean bulk, and just eat a few hundred extra calories a day, that should prevent the addition of fat.

but you are young and active, and probably pretty small looking if you are 140lbs and 5-10, so I understand your goal of bulking up, and the best way is to stuff your face, and lift HEAVY. Any fat you put on will be easy to lose later, considering all the new muscle you will have

oh and remember lift heavy, but not so heavy that your ROM suffers, I hate seeing people lift big numbers but only move the bar 8 inches total, that doenst count as a rep

Notorious
09-18-2007, 04:26 PM
Another quick question. Should I eat less on my off days?

Bako Lifter
09-18-2007, 04:36 PM
No. Eat everything, everyday.

VikingWarlord
09-18-2007, 05:57 PM
Another quick question. Should I eat less on my off days?

You can if you want a little bit, but it's not really necessary. Just make sure you keep track of what you're eating, that way you know which way to go if you're not getting the results you want.

nhlfan
09-18-2007, 07:09 PM
you need to gain about 40 pounds before you start worrying about your body fat, unless it's getting out of control.

VikingWarlord
09-18-2007, 07:19 PM
you need to gain about 40 pounds before you start worrying about your body fat, unless it's getting out of control.

He needs to gain whatever he wants to in order to look how he wants to look.

smokinHawk
09-19-2007, 07:01 AM
if you truly are 10% you should be fairly cut now, and able to see your abs if you have some.
sounds like you should just workout eat a little bit more and put on some muscle weight, unless you just want to be skinny.

Notorious
09-19-2007, 06:35 PM
Alright, I'm gonna increase the calories by 500 for now, check my results in a couple weeks, and then decide if I'm gonna increase by another 500.
Another question: Will doing cardio (like HIIT, riding my bike, etc) slow down my muscle gain?

Thanks for the replies so far, I appreciate the help!