PDA

View Full Version : What happens if you just maintain?

brihead301
09-17-2007, 05:55 PM
I know you can't gain muscle and burn fat at the same time. Right now I'm pretty happy with my size, but I want to would like to get a bit more cut without drastically decreasing calories. I've been eating 2500 - 2700 calories a day for the last 4 weeks (after a 4 month bulk), and I've pretty much stayed around 180, which tells me that my maintainence is around 2600 calories.

So what will happen if I continue to lift my a** off and eat at maintainence level? Nothing at all? Or will I just get more and more cut, but remain the same size (which is what I want)?

WORLD
09-17-2007, 06:24 PM
From experience, you will remain the same size. Nothing wrong with that if you feel that you look good.

Built
09-17-2007, 06:35 PM
Your maintenance will slowly go up as you get stronger and can do more work in the gym.

If you don't increase calories as your maintenance increases, you'll likely very slowly lean out more.

brihead301
09-17-2007, 06:40 PM
So, I guess it would be considered just a slow way to get lean and cut as opposed to bulking first then cutting. I'm not in any rush, so if I'm a s***load leaner in 1 year, I'll be happy.

WORLD
09-17-2007, 07:01 PM
As long as your consistent with your calorie intake and training.

Alex.V
09-17-2007, 08:16 PM
I know you can't gain muscle and burn fat at the same time.

Not in the same instant, but over the course of a day your body can both metabolize fat and repair/add skeletal muscle.

Actually, I take that back. Chances are, you're probably repairing/building muscle AND burning fat right now. You're also breaking down muscle and storing fat.

So technically, you CAN do both.

It's just a slow process. Once the balance gets tipped towards high amounts of lean body mass and low amounts of fat, good luck making huge gains in body composition.

brihead301
09-18-2007, 08:04 AM
Not in the same instant, but over the course of a day your body can both metabolize fat and repair/add skeletal muscle.

Actually, I take that back. Chances are, you're probably repairing/building muscle AND burning fat right now. You're also breaking down muscle and storing fat.

So technically, you CAN do both.

It's just a slow process. Once the balance gets tipped towards high amounts of lean body mass and low amounts of fat, good luck making huge gains in body composition.

I see. So are you saying that if I maintain for a long time instead of focusing on bulking or cutting, I will eventually have more lean mass then fat, but it will then be very hard to gain weight again if I decide to bulk up again?