PDA

View Full Version : Fasting - Beneficial ?

GroundControl
09-17-2007, 09:49 PM
Hey, as some of you may know the month of Ramadan has just started for Muslims. Getting to the point, I have to fast and can't drink water/eat from 5am to 7pm, roughly, for 30 days.

I have been eating clean the last couple days, and it's not so bad, probably 1500 cals a day or so of complex carbs and protein. My main question is, fasting for the day would stop my metabolism (starvation mode) but if I stay active ( running around to classes, work etc. ) wouldn't I still be burning cals ? I still lift, but at night, after I eat. I am just wondering if eating clean will be of any point if I can eat more filling foods, because I am STARVING by 7pm, but will continue to eat clean if it is beneficial. Sorry for the long read, thanks.

KingWilder
09-17-2007, 10:27 PM
the major problem is going to be lack of energy

I wouldn't do too much during the day (again, you prob. won't have energy for it anyway)

lift if you feel up to it at night after you eat

shazoo123
09-17-2007, 10:33 PM
salaam bro,

i am fasting as well and i have been maintaining my lifts and weight so far. I just break my fast with a meal high in carbs and adequate protein, and after an hour to two i go the gym, come back have a muscle milk shake and then another meal and then a pb n j and some cottage cheese before bed. try to get in enough cals or else your body will go in starvation mode and will begin to gain fat.

GroundControl
09-17-2007, 10:40 PM
salaam bro,

i am fasting as well and i have been maintaining my lifts and weight so far. I just break my fast with a meal high in carbs and adequate protein, and after an hour to two i go the gym, come back have a muscle milk shake and then another meal and then a pb n j and some cottage cheese before bed. try to get in enough cals or else your body will go in starvation mode and will begin to gain fat.

walakam salaam,

You see, I am trying to lose some flab, so I don't mind losing weight, as long as the majority is fat, I just am going to try to get in as much as protein as possible.