PDA

View Full Version : Please critique my deadlift form...

redivote
09-18-2007, 10:31 AM
plz critique my deadlift form, i know the weight is pretty light but i have just started doing it, and im sorry for the poor quality but plz tell me what u think from what you can see.
how's my form?
tnx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4X1bUc6zm0

samj
09-18-2007, 10:57 AM
do it with a heavier weight imo anyone can do it with right form with 60lbs

Cards
09-18-2007, 11:02 AM
Agreed, add more weight then try it again. that being said, at 60lbs the form was on.

RedSpikeyThing
09-18-2007, 11:04 AM
I agree with samj, more weight.

You are pulling the bar around your knees, which means the bar isn't going in a straight line. As the weight gets heavier, you won't be able to do that. Start with your hips a little higher and that should correct the problem. Remember to pullback as opposed to up.

redFury
09-18-2007, 11:10 AM
Form looks good... when I get to about 60% of my max is when my form starts to break down. Throw about 70% of your max on there and take a video.

Lumiel
09-18-2007, 11:44 AM
I would say straighten your legs a bit more so the bar travels in a straight line up and down against your legs... that way you're using more back and less legs.

redivote
09-18-2007, 11:43 PM
ok tnx guys, ill post another video with more weight, that was just the second time i dealift and ill keep in mind the straight line thing

-Superman-
09-19-2007, 06:22 AM
Good form, but don't expect to have that form when you hit heavier weights.

:nod:

dscarth
09-19-2007, 08:29 AM
IYou are pulling the bar around your knees, which means the bar isn't going in a straight line. As the weight gets heavier, you won't be able to do that. Start with your hips a little higher and that should correct the problem. Remember to pullback as opposed to up.

Back instead of up... well, I guess thats why my DL's feel alot like squats. Either that or they really do feel like squats and im an idiot.

North
09-19-2007, 10:22 AM
It almost looks like your trying to lift sumo in a conventional stance.

Cirino83
09-19-2007, 11:05 AM
I'm with the peanut gallery :) You need more weight to check proper form. Also, it looks like you are doing squats. I like to try to use more back.

WillKuenzel
09-19-2007, 12:19 PM
You're hands are out in front of your shoulders. If you tried doing that with more weight, it wouldn't work. Shoulders over your hands, shoulders behind the bar and the bar almost drags up your legs. Your hips need to be a little higher from the start and you need to think about pulling back more, not just standing straight up with the weight.

redivote
09-19-2007, 12:42 PM
hey, tnx for all your comments
well the bar is loaded with 15kg, i guss that when its loaded with 20kg it will be higher and then i wouldn't have to go so low to grab the bar and that would allow me to keep my hips higher than now...
now its just not high enough so my hips would is pretty low...

Jinkies
09-19-2007, 12:46 PM
Your form looked pretty decent except you need to lean back more on the lockout but not too much.

Also try to keep the weight as close to possible to you, when you shins start to bleed you know your doing it right

Guido
09-19-2007, 12:57 PM
You don't need to lean back on lockout, Jinkies, as long as your knees are locked and hips forward.

Franco
09-19-2007, 02:14 PM
Read what HomeYield said over again and have a look at some other individuals who have posted video clips in journals etc.

I feel that you do need to correct your form, especially as you progress. At the moment a greater amount of weight on the bar would literally have you tipping over due to stability issues.

redivote
09-25-2007, 12:12 PM
You're hands are out in front of your shoulders. If you tried doing that with more weight, it wouldn't work. Shoulders over your hands, shoulders behind the bar and the bar almost drags up your legs. Your hips need to be a little higher from the start and you need to think about pulling back more, not just standing straight up with the weight.
hey, sorry for upping just now, but i was not around...
i dont understand that hand<shoulder<bar u said...
how can my hands be behind my shoulders??? to be able to do so i would need an exaggerated lean forward, and i was told here to start higher and be more "backward"

WillKuenzel
09-25-2007, 02:31 PM
Looking at you from the video, from left to right, you want your shoulders to be to the right of the bar. Your hands should be directly under your shoulders.

At no point in the lift should your knees be out over the bar. To correct that you need to raise the hips, or think about pointing your butt up to the ceiling. You're not taking a dump on the floor.

redivote
09-25-2007, 06:19 PM
Looking at you from the video, from left to right, you want your shoulders to be to the right of the bar. Your hands should be directly under your shoulders.

At no point in the lift should your knees be out over the bar. To correct that you need to raise the hips, or think about pointing your butt up to the ceiling. You're not taking a dump on the floor.
ok, so first i need to get the bar higher in order to raise my hips...i guss ill have to put the bar on top of 2 plates because im still deadlifting with 33lbs plates whice are not high enough...
and still, in order that the knees wouldnt pass the bar i would need to do the deadlift with shins in vertical...i guss thats the point right?? that way the weight is allways on my heels???...and in addition shins vertical would make me lean more with my back forward so it would be more lower back involve than now...right??? and that will lead me to pull the bar in a more straight line???
am i right with all the things i have just said?? im just trying to figure it out right...
tnx

redivote
09-28-2007, 03:24 AM
ok, so first i need to get the bar higher in order to raise my hips...i guss ill have to put the bar on top of 2 plates because im still deadlifting with 33lbs plates whice are not high enough...
and still, in order that the knees wouldnt pass the bar i would need to do the deadlift with shins in vertical...i guss thats the point right?? that way the weight is allways on my heels???...and in addition shins vertical would make me lean more with my back forward so it would be more lower back involve than now...right??? and that will lead me to pull the bar in a more straight line???
am i right with all the things i have just said?? im just trying to figure it out right...
tnx

????

redivote
10-01-2007, 09:27 AM
tnx
????plz guys, i need to workout tomarrow