PDA

View Full Version : Feeling it in my lats during bench

BFGUITAR
09-19-2007, 04:19 PM
Is it normal to feel it in my lats during bench press? I recently have been researching bench technique and have learnt a lot about the arch, pushing with planted feet, exploding upwards and such. I just wanted to make sure what Im doing is right.

I recently benched 177.5, beating my previous record by 2.5 pounds lol. I feel that my new found technique is helping my bench. I tried going for a bit more than 180 and the bar went up a few centimeters and just dropped. My safety word with my spotter is pineapple (BTW my spotter is also my good friend lol).

No amount of grunting or screaming can sound like pineapple, a good word to use.

RedSpikeyThing
09-19-2007, 05:38 PM
yep, it's very normal to feel it in your lats, especially when using a PL style.

MPB
09-19-2007, 06:07 PM
Yea my traps and lats get a good pump whenever I bench

RhodeHouse
09-19-2007, 06:20 PM
Pineapple? Here's one that we use. Not as creative, but it works well. "Take it!"

redFury
09-19-2007, 09:11 PM
Lats are definitely activated... and actually I think indicate good form.

jtteg_x
09-20-2007, 12:43 AM
lats play a huge role when benching PL style. next time u bench, rip the bar apart when benching and squeeze at the same time...then you'll definately feel it in your lats.

congrats on the PR

Talking_God
09-20-2007, 06:05 AM
Lats are definitely activated... and actually I think indicate good form.

Right-o. I can't for the LIFE of me remember where I just read the article, but it mentions how you should do all kinds of row work in order to get a better bench etc. etc. Ima hunt down the article and post the bitch up.

tomv
09-20-2007, 06:15 AM
I know what you guys are saying is true from my own personal experience, but I'm curious as to why the lats come into play? What body movement causes the lats to become activated?
They're not used in...
Shoulder Joint Horizontal Adduction
Shoulder Girdle Abduction
Elbow Joint Extension
These were the 3 movements I came up with when using the bench... So why do the lats come into play?
Again, not doubting you guys at all I just want to learn :D.

Guido
09-20-2007, 07:53 AM
Lats can help you push the bar up from the bottom and they also can extend when you lock it out.

Try this:

Reach straight out in front of you with a normal reach while sitting with your back flat against a chair or a wall. Now, without moving your upper body off the back of the chair or wall, try to reach out even a little bit further. You can probably do it, and that's probably because you used your lats to help you push your arms forward.

tomv
09-20-2007, 09:45 AM
Yeah that'd be shoulder girdle adduction... I think. However I didn't think the Lats were used for that?

Guido
09-20-2007, 11:11 AM
They are.

BFGUITAR
09-20-2007, 11:36 AM
Ok cool guys thanks!

I just have a question about elbow placement... it kind of confuses me wher emy elbows should be... Should they be perpendicular to my body or inwards?

RedSpikeyThing
09-20-2007, 12:15 PM
Ok cool guys thanks!

I just have a question about elbow placement... it kind of confuses me wher emy elbows should be... Should they be perpendicular to my body or inwards?

angled inwards while keeping the wrists over them (ie don't bend your wrist). When you hit your sticking point, flare them out to get better leverage.

tomv
09-20-2007, 07:12 PM
Pardon my mistake, it's actually shoulder girdle aBduction, not adduction. You're right however, i looked it up on some websites and it is used :).

RhodeHouse
09-20-2007, 10:21 PM
Tomv - too many big words, dude. Lift weights, not books.

The lats help stabilize the bench. They ONLY come into play when your elbows are tucked at a 45 degree angle and the bar touches the top of your abs. If you touch your chest at all, the lats don't work.

vdizenzo
09-21-2007, 05:22 AM
Shoulder Joint Horizontal Adduction
Shoulder Girdle Abduction
Elbow Joint Extension

I have to learn some of these terms so I can get my bench up. I guess I better bring a pad and pen to the next Elite Fitness seminar.

SFW!

tomv
09-22-2007, 12:32 AM
I have to learn some of these terms so I can get my bench up. I guess I better bring a pad and pen to the next Elite Fitness seminar.

SFW!

Hahah I dunno if you're taking the piss but if you are, nothing wrong with trying to learn :hump: