PDA

View Full Version : Kettlebell Exercise Form - Advice needed.

tomv
09-20-2007, 02:57 AM
G'days Ghouls and Gals

I've recently purchased a kettlebell for cardio and entertainment purposes and have been messing around doing a few exercises. I've got the hang of the swing, it's a good fun exercise and definitely gets the heart-rate going. The snatch is also pretty good and I feel my form is ok on that (I will probably post some videos soon-ish). I've not yet tried anything other then these exercises (e.g. Turkish Get-Ups or Windmills) as I don't really know where to get advice or instructional videos on form.
My issue is with the clean. Whenever i pull it up I seem to keep banging on the top of my forearm (close to my wrist). In which way can you position your arm so that this doesn't happen? I've tried a few different ways but nothing is seeming to help and to be honest I'm not too keen to just keep practicing them lest I somehow damage a nerve or something.

So who can help me out? Also does anyone know a good site with instructional videos for Kettlebell work? I can't really afford to get a Pavel book at the moment.

Spanks for all advice and suggestions offered :).

Also, here is a little kettlebell routine I came up with to act as a bit of cardio. I'm just doing this till i feel I would last past the first minute of Tabata then i'm straight into that ;-).

20 Double handed swings
10 One handed swings (either arm)
10 Cleans & Jerks (either arm)
20 Front Squats
10 Snatches (either arm)
20 Figure 8's**
5 Shoulder Press (either arm)
10 Front Squats

** (I pass the KB through my legs in a figure 8 path. Seems to really work core and leg muscles... seems to. If anyone disagrees or thinks this could be dangerous please say so :)

Sensei
09-20-2007, 06:21 AM
Anthony DiLuigio has a great video series called "The Minute of Strength" - a lot of kettlebell instruction. Look through all the archives - you'll learn a ton:
http://www.artofstrength.com/Newsletter/tabid/75/newsid468/55/Default.aspx

Jason Brown of kettlebellathletics.com has some great instructional videos too: http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=KettlebellAthletics&p=r

As far as the clean goes, start with the arm inwardly rotated and outwardly rotate the arm as you clean it. The movement should look like an uppercut. If you do it correctly there shouldn't be much bang at all on your forearm.

Anthony
09-20-2007, 07:01 AM
20 Double handed swings
10 One handed swings (either arm)
10 Cleans & Jerks (either arm)
20 Front Squats
10 Snatches (either arm)
20 Figure 8's**
5 Shoulder Press (either arm)
10 Front Squats

Have you tried this yet?

tomv
09-20-2007, 09:47 AM
Have you tried this yet?

Yep :). I almost died doing it... and my pace wasn't fantastic but I managed.
I don't think I did the last set of front squats though.

Anthony
09-20-2007, 09:52 AM
I think if you can make it through that workout without setting down the KB, you're more than ready for Tabata!

MrBulknCut
10-06-2007, 10:59 PM
http://www.strengthmill.com/videolist/videonew/?cid=4

Hephaestus
10-25-2007, 09:53 PM
Just curious what brand of kettlebell did you buy and how to you like it?also what weight?

tomv
10-27-2007, 09:56 AM
I bought a Kettlebell from a company in Australia... I love the thing it's so much fun. 16kg

dynobells
10-16-2009, 03:48 AM
Thanks sensei, I have also purchased a kettlebell having 16 kg weight.Last one week i have done the workout consistently.the links which have you given that was too usefull.