PDA

View Full Version : Westside style routine in 3 days, <1hr/session?

manowar669
09-21-2007, 06:11 AM
I've been reading over some of the conjugated periodization (westside) stuff. The protocols suggest training 2X per week for presses, and 2X per week for squats/DLs. A ME and a DE day for each, total 4 days, with auxilliary lifts after the main focus. Could you get it down to 3 days, perhaps by combining 2 of the days? Like ME bench and DE squat/dl on the same day? And by using compound lifts for the BB-style portion, could you keep the session under an hour?

redFury
09-21-2007, 07:15 AM
I would say yes... you could do a hybrid an see some success. To get the workout under an hour, you are likely going to have to do mostly compounds and maybe only 3-5 exercises per session. That will severely restrict what you can do... more so than 3 days per week.

But you should be able to find some success doing it.

RedSpikeyThing
09-21-2007, 08:08 AM
Westside for skinny bastards is a 3 day variation on the tradition Westside template.
Also, you could still do the traditional 4 day by rotating it around:
Week 1: ME Upper, DE Lower, DE Upper
Week 2: ME Lower, ME Upper, DE Lower
etc.

To get it under an hour, hit the compounds and hit them HARD.

bigmoney
09-21-2007, 08:41 AM
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/force_training4.htm

manowar669
09-21-2007, 10:05 AM
Thanks, good link.
Another question. I haven't done GMs much. Are these started from the low position, or from standing?

It seems from the stuff I've read, that you would only be doing ME DLs about once a month, seem right?

Oh, and what's a JM press?

One more question: If you do ME DL for example, do you do DE DL that week, or a different low body exercise for DE, or doesn't it matter?

RhodeHouse
09-22-2007, 01:39 AM
Read the westside template and follow it. Don't combine a DE and ME day because it's 2 different methods meant to be performed on seperate days. If it has to be a 3 day split, do it like it was outlined in an earlier post.

Mon - Me Squat/DL
Wed - ME Bench
Fri - DE Squat
Mon - DE Bench
Wed - ME Squat/DL
Fri - ME Bench
etc...

Don't worry about the under an hour thing. If you can get all that done in under an hour, you won't be getting much stronger.

Mike G
09-22-2007, 05:27 AM
Another article, much like Rhodes and Chris' suggestions.
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/three_days.htm

Only difference is the RE days. The hour is tougher. I work out alone and am able to get a lot done in an hour, but my ME days are longer.