PDA

View Full Version : Is whey necessary?

espn2829
09-22-2007, 12:54 AM
I just ordered some whey and it just arrived. But I'm thinking of returning it. Is whey really necessary when bulking? I am probably consuming enough protein so I am not sure about this. I guess the more protein you eat can be helpful.

Should I return it or keep it?

theravingphycho
09-22-2007, 01:07 AM
its a useful tool for PWO shakes

But if your definition of necessary is its a key tool to weight gain then no it is not

Look at the bodybuilders of the 70's and 80's.

You can easily get good PWO nutrition from a egg salad sandwich you make yourself

WORLD
09-22-2007, 01:35 AM
ok. All protein powder does is makes it easier for you to consume the amount of protein you need. 1 scoop gives you approximately 30gr of protein right? It's pretty easy to drink. Imagine eating enough real food to meet your protein requirements. A few too many chicken breasts right? It's possible but not practical. Plus, whey digests quickly. You want something that digests quickly after training. Keep it.

When you ask, is protein powder worth keeping when bulking, what do you mean? What do you think bulking means?

mikey4402
09-22-2007, 11:41 AM
if your eatting 1-1.5 grams per lb of body bass then you dont NEED it. Will it help? yes it helps alot.

My advice, if its a question of money then send it back. if you have the extra cash then buy it, its worth the investment IMO

Trevor M.
09-22-2007, 03:05 PM
No...

WORLD
09-22-2007, 04:34 PM
No...

I'm pretty sure that doesn't answer his question.

Trevor M.
09-22-2007, 04:58 PM
I'm pretty sure that doesn't answer his question.

Is whey necessary?
No...

WORLD
09-22-2007, 04:59 PM
No...

Sorry bud, I was basing what I said to his last question in the actual thread.

BBB
09-22-2007, 07:04 PM
The short answer is no. You don't NEED it. It's just a convenient way to get your protein in.

Egg whites are nearly just as "fast" as whey, they are cheaper, and almost completely bioavailable.

smalls
09-23-2007, 12:41 AM
The short answer is no. You don't NEED it. It's just a convenient way to get your protein in.

Egg whites are nearly just as "fast" as whey, they are cheaper, and almost completely bioavailable.

Agreed, but whey sure is convenient. But where do you get egg whites that cheap? I need me some of that.

Built
09-23-2007, 12:44 AM
My bulk food store sells the dry powder, and grocery stores sell the liquid ones.

smalls
09-23-2007, 01:22 AM
My bulk food store sells the dry powder, and grocery stores sell the liquid ones.

I've never seen liquid egg whites cheaper than I can get whey. But maybe the dry powder. I'll have to keep an eye out, always seemed a little pricey at most places. Thanks Built.

BBB
09-23-2007, 01:33 AM
I was thinking of buying eggs by the flat (5 dozen at a time) and separating out the whites - it is cheap that way...and you get really good as separating out the whites in no time at all - pretty cheap when you buy in bulk - and does a BBer or Power lifter ever do anything else? I buy all my staples in bulk. <shrugs>

But yes, whey is convenient and I use it - maybe once a week when I'm really in a hurry or short on protein (by some sick twist of fate) for the day.

smalls
09-23-2007, 03:44 PM
I buy eggs at costco like that. I still dont think they are cheaper than whey though, per gram. Tastier? Hell yes.

sprahl85
09-23-2007, 04:42 PM
If you are on a money constraint i would say whey is necessary as it is for me. 180 grams of protein a day from food sources would seriously kill my food budget lol. Plus the whey i get is significantly lower in calories than food proteins. Which helps with mah belly lol, and i gain fat easy as hell.

RedSpikeyThing
09-23-2007, 06:12 PM
Not necessary, but definately convenient. When it's 10 PM, you're 1000 calories short and you're not hungry, whipping together a (relatively) healthy shake is a blesing.

leetuck
09-24-2007, 08:13 AM
I am always busy so I need quick, easy and convenient ways to get some protein. Without whey I would never hit my daily protein goals.

Then again, you could always just drink 6 pints of milk a day extra :)

redFury
09-24-2007, 08:29 AM
Keep the protein... it is a tool you can use. I don't take any protein supplements myself, but I will say most of what you need can be derived from food sources, like milk.

macro
09-28-2007, 10:50 AM
I just ordered some whey and it just arrived. But I'm thinking of returning it. Is whey really necessary when bulking? I am probably consuming enough protein so I am not sure about this. I guess the more protein you eat can be helpful.

Should I return it or keep it?

necessary -- no

helpful in getting sufficient protein without digestive issues- yes

Keith
09-28-2007, 10:58 AM
No it's not.

Ronnie Coleman himself doesn't even have a PWO shake with whey or anything in it.