PDA

View Full Version : First time starting a "CKD" diet......

TFXP-Zeke01
03-07-2002, 05:53 PM
I decided to give this diet a try since I'm wanting to loose body fat and have minimal muscle loss. I'm into my 3rd week of lifting from a 5 year layoff; so it'll be hard!:D

I'm currently at 228LB's down from 235LB's. I did this with just a low carb diet and 3 days a week of cardio and 3 days a week of anaerobic training(still working out the soreness). I have a physical job too; so that contributed a bit also. Well, today I started a full "CKD" diet and here was my meals:

Meal 1: 7:45AM
5 Eggs( 2 whole, 3 whites)
Suplements: 1 TBSP flax(:cry: ), 2 Multivitamins, 2 Xenadrines

Meal 2: 10:20AM
5 Eggs(3 whole, 2 whites)
1 scoop of Designer Protein

Supplement: 11:30AM 5 gram Glutamine

Meal 3: 1:00PM
4oz Salmon
1 stick of String Cheese(like mozzarella)
1 Package of Peanuts (28g)

Meal 4: 3:30PM
1 can Tuna
1 package of Peanuts (28g)

Meal 5: 7:00PM
1 can Tuna
1 TBSP of whole Mayo
1 2oz of 2% Cheddar Cheese

Meal 6: 10:00PM (To be eaten in 2 hours)
4oz Salmon
4 Eggs (2 whole, 2 whites)
1/2 cup cottage cheese

Supplements: 11:45
1 TBSP of flax
5 gram of Glutamine

How does this sound? I'm still working on getting the diet 100%. This is my first day on this diet and according to the "Keto sticks" I'm at 14 mg/dl. What mg/dl is needed before I'm in Ketosis?

irish mike
03-07-2002, 09:06 PM
diet looks good but id substitute the peanuts for natural peanut butter(less active carbs)-with the ketostix when you're in you're in.a couple factors effect the results of ketostix.hydration and activity level.its possible to be in ketosis with a negative reading.there are blood ketone monitors but they're pricey $120

TFXP-Zeke01
03-07-2002, 09:48 PM
Update:

I changed Meal 6 and had 2 Pork Sausages, 4 eggs(2 whole, 2 white), and 1oz Cheddar.

The Calorie, Protein, Carb and Fat tally for the day is:

Calories: 2126.9 kcal
Protein: 254g
Carb: 25.1g
Fat: 123g

I think I'm about 5 grams to high on the carbs. Thanks to the Peanuts. BOY, the carbs add up quick!:( Also, what are some GOOD fatty foods to get my fat intake higher? The WBB "CKD" article in the Nutrition archives says to eat 1.5g of fat per every 1 gram of protein. How in the hell do I do this when most meats have more protein than fat?:confused:

Any help is appreciated!;)

irish mike
03-08-2002, 12:35 AM
id just increase the flax if your looking to add fat

codei
03-08-2002, 12:49 AM
what are these ketostix and where do i get them?

Qea
03-08-2002, 12:58 AM
your local pharmacy

dojdave
03-08-2002, 04:34 AM
I'm on day 5 and it is going well. I felt I was running into the same problem with consuming just as much protein in all these meat and cheese products, and not enough fat. I just started adding olive oil to meats, and using real mayo in tuna.

Ketostix run about $13 for 50 or $26 for 100.

I didn't buy them, but figured I probably entered ketosis during the middle of day 2 due to the smell of my piss.

Prelude
03-08-2002, 07:32 AM
"I didn't buy them, but figured I probably entered ketosis during the middle of day 2 due to the smell of my piss."

Also the taste in the mouth.

Prelude
03-08-2002, 07:34 AM
Calories: 2126.9 kcal
Protein: 254g
Carb: 25.1g
Fat: 123g

Don't you have to have more fat than protein. I was told that a 70/30% of Fat/Protein is better.

aeckhardt
03-08-2002, 08:23 AM
Yeah, your fat needs to be at least 1.5 times your protein or you will be kept out of ketosis. Not that ketosis is that important for fat burining, but you seem to want it so you should strive for at least that ratio.

TFXP-Zeke01
03-08-2002, 02:58 PM
K? Then should I eat a **** load of either flax or olive oil to get the "good" fats or eat alot of fatty meat with saturated fat? I might just carry the stuff around with me and chug a WHOLE bottle during my meals! LOL!!:D

I just checked today with the keto sticks and I'm still the same as I was last night!:( Damn! I never thought finding a way to eat a BUTT load of fat would be this hard and keeping the carbs under 20 gr, to boot!:D

notSoBig Guy
03-09-2002, 09:21 AM
I would never try this type of diet. It just doesn't look very healthy. I mean it might be, but I still don't trust it. How the hell is fat more important that carbs?

TFXP-Zeke01
03-09-2002, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by notSoBig Guy
I would never try this type of diet. It just doesn't look very healthy. I mean it might be, but I still don't trust it. How the hell is fat more important that carbs?

From what I understand, this diet isn't about adding muscle. It is strictly to burn, burn, burn fat! When you eat high amounts of fat(as clean as possible from flax and olive oil with moderate sat. fats), moderately high proteins(clean), and trace carbs, it forces your body to TOTALLY rely on fat for it's energy. It will burn the fat your consuming(I assume) and then dip into the fat storage to get even more energy, while keeping the insulin levels low and stable; thus preserving as much muscle loss as expected.

This is what I understand, I'm BY FAR no expert and still gaining knowledge myself; so someone correct me if I'm wrong.;)

UPDATE ON DIET: I talked to a knowledgable guy at my gym. Well, he seemed fairly knowledable to me; so I took his advice willingly. He said, also, my fat wasn't high enough to enter Ketosis. He said for me to consume about 60%fat and 40%protein and get my carbs in trace amounts from the foods I eat to reach this percentage. He gave me some sample meals to get these ratio's.

For instance, here's three sample meals he gave me:
Meal 1: 80-85% Beef (4oz)
3 whole eggs
1 slice whole cheese

Meal 2: 1 large can of Tuna
1/4 cup of walnuts
2 TBSP of flax or olive oil

Meal 3: 6 oz Chicken
1 TBSP safflower
1 TBSP of flax or olive
1 slice whole cheese

After workout shake: 2 scoops designer protein
2 TBSP whipping cream
1 TBSP flax

From my diet of the past two days, I was getting TOO much protein and not enough fat. I'll try to get as clean of fat as possible, and keep the sat. fats at bay in minimal amounts. I'm gonna have to sacrifice some protein and instead of consuming 250 grams like I was; I'm gonna consume a lower amount to compensate the higher fat ratio. Although, still trying to keep my caloric intake around 2000 cal for the first 2 weeks. Then I'll be slowly lowering my cals til I get to my desired BF %.

I'm gonna also carb load every 6 and 7th day for a couple weeks and then only carb load every OTHER 6th and 7th day(twice a month). I'm still experimenting!:D Everyone is different and has to try different things through experimentation. I'll keep all posted as to how I'm doing on this!;)

Thanks for all the replies! You guys rule............:)

TFXP-Zeke01
03-09-2002, 12:14 PM
BTW, after re-forming my diet yesterday. I CHEATED last night and ate some taco bell Big stuffed burrito's!:D Plan on having some Chinese tonight also.....

I'm going full fledged Monday; so I thought I'd go ahead and have 2 cheat days this weekend since I've already lost about 10 pounds from the prior 2 weeks and won't have another chance to cheat again for quite some time.;)

the doc
03-09-2002, 01:23 PM
sorry but you must be VERY disciplined for this diet to work.

Reinier
03-09-2002, 01:58 PM
cant go on anything low carb and cheat....

TFXP-Zeke01
03-09-2002, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by the doc
sorry but you must be VERY disciplined for this diet to work.

re-read this:

posted by me
I'm going full fledged Monday; so I thought I'd go ahead and have 2 cheat days this weekend since I've already lost about 10 pounds from the prior 2 weeks and won't have another chance to cheat again for quite some time.

I know I can't cheat!;)

I had the diet wrong and re-did it last night. I'm not starting the diet til Monday; so I'm having 2 cheat days before I go ALL OUT on this CKD diet and/or modified CKD. It's not like I'll be gorging myself on fatty foods or anything. I'm just eating 2 meals that I like and know I can't have for a VERY long time. Trust me, there will be no cheating when I finally start it.;) You can count on it.........

EDIT: If I gain a few pounds then it'll come right off in no time.

TFXP-Zeke01
03-09-2002, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Reinier
cant go on anything low carb and cheat....

I don't plan too!;) Just eating 2 meals that are out of diet and starting CKD Monday, full fledged......

the_hall
03-09-2002, 08:14 PM
Bro' good luck with the CKD! I am starting one in about a month, you should keep a journal too, I love reading the CKD journals, it helps me know what to expect.

BTW, what exactly do you do with the ketostix to know if you are in ketosis?

TFXP-Zeke01
03-09-2002, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by the_hall
BTW, what exactly do you do with the ketostix to know if you are in ketosis?

You hold it in your stream of urine, wait about 10 sec, and then hold it up to the bottle and compare the change of color on the ketostick with the color codes on the bottle. It basically gives you a basis to know if you're in ketosis or not......;)

notSoBig Guy
03-09-2002, 09:45 PM
I'm diabetic type 1, and I can go into ketosis very fast if I stop injecting my insulin. I know this cuz when I first got diabetes, I was in ketosis and i had ketones or whatever, and I dropped like 20 pounds in 2 weeks, it was horrible.

irish mike
03-10-2002, 05:49 AM
not so big,ketones in the urine of a diabetic is not the same as ketones in a healthy person.for you its a sign of ketoacidosis(VERY SERIOUS!)in a healthy person its called benign dietary ketosis.it actually improves insulin sensitivity and can prevent someone with hyperinsulinism from developing type 2 diabetes.TFXP your explaination of this diet is right on.also it does take discipline on this diet but ive found that you also have to listen to your body.if your in ketosis and start having uncontrollable cravings dont feel guilty about it.put in a killer full body workout(it helps you feel less guilty)and carb up.i also do a creatine load.ive found that every once in a while you need an extra boost for your metabolism.good luck

TFXP-Zeke01
03-10-2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by irish mike
not so big,ketones in the urine of a diabetic is not the same as ketones in a healthy person.for you its a sign of ketoacidosis(VERY SERIOUS!)in a healthy person its called benign dietary ketosis.it actually improves insulin sensitivity and can prevent someone with hyperinsulinism from developing type 2 diabetes.TFXP your explaination of this diet is right on.also it does take discipline on this diet but ive found that you also have to listen to your body.if your in ketosis and start having uncontrollable cravings dont feel guilty about it.put in a killer full body workout(it helps you feel less guilty)and carb up.i also do a creatine load.ive found that every once in a while you need an extra boost for your metabolism.good luck

Awesome advice bro!;) Thanks!

TFXP-Zeke01
03-13-2002, 08:26 PM
I started Monday with a revised "CKD" diet plan. It is now, Wed. and I feel like crap. I'm tired and don't feel like lifting a freakin finger to do anything! hehe!! I guess my body is starting to adjust to the ketogenic style diet. Actually, once I got in the gym tonight, I felt better. I think I'm allergic to Walnuts(was part of the diet) because each day I eat them, I got nausiated and my lips broke out!:eek:

I'm writing them out of the diet and transfering something else in.;) So far, so good! I've been keeping my carbs under 20g a day except today. The only reason I went over today was because of my post-workout drink. The designer put me over at 4 grams of carbs for 2 scoops!:mad: Oh well! I know I depleted every ounce of carbs I eat today because of my low volume/high intensity workout!:D

cwny69
04-14-2002, 02:46 PM
if u carb up each week will you gain back the fat you lost

Jane
04-14-2002, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by cwny69
if u carb up each week will you gain back the fat you lost

No, not necessarily. Where did you get this idea?