how horrible is that?

i used 95lb on the thrusters

and did chin ups not pull ups

the chin-ups were what blew my time up

fyi: 6'2, 183

Con
09-22-2007, 01:47 PM
I think its pretty good you finished.

If Im not mistaken however, elite or top time in like 4 minutes or maybe even lower.

Chubrock
09-22-2007, 01:51 PM
Top time is 2:XX. With that said, you can't compare yourself with people. If you improve next time, then awesome. If you slack off and get worse, then you blow.

Sensei
09-22-2007, 02:20 PM
That's not horrible - I did it once and I think it took me something ridiculous like 20:00, but I really can't remember for sure. I never did try it again.

manowar669
09-22-2007, 04:20 PM
Just work on finishing them at first, then improve time. There are some I still have a tough time getting through after a year. Some I can blast right through.

big ol' boy
09-22-2007, 04:27 PM
The first time I did FRAN it took me 15 minutes. I was 6'2" at 285. I did assisted pullups because I couldn't do full pullups or kip.Never tried it again because it made me pyuke my steak out.

KingWilder
09-22-2007, 04:58 PM
eventually I'll try a full run through of it, lately I've just been doin the thrusters on leg day for sets of 21, 15, and 9

redFury
09-22-2007, 04:58 PM
I would die... great work at finishing :)

Anthony
09-22-2007, 05:08 PM
It's not bad, but if you stick with it, you'll notice some huge improvements. "Elite" is considered anything under 3 minutes, with the best time so far being 2:19.

Roark
09-22-2007, 05:38 PM
yeah, i've seen you post about crossfit for a while anthony

the chinups were my weak spot, but i didn't do any kipping

i've decided it's the conditioning method i want to use to help me compete successfully in grappling tournaments

and it just seems fun to have such a wide variety and only need a 15min w/o to completely kick that ass

Anthony
09-22-2007, 05:44 PM
Kipping will reduce your time A LOT. Same work, less time, and the coordination will carry over into other movements. AND your "strict" chinups will improve by default as well. DEFINITELY start practising. :p

That's awesome though, stick with it for a few months and you'll notice a huge difference on the mat!!

Tofer
09-22-2007, 07:02 PM
It's not bad, but if you stick with it, you'll notice some huge improvements. "Elite" is considered anything under 3 minutes, with the best time so far being 2:19.
For those of you who haven't seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyXTguBCpv8

Ridiculous.

Roark
09-23-2007, 07:23 AM
Kipping will reduce your time A LOT. Same work, less time, and the coordination will carry over into other movements. AND your "strict" chinups will improve by default as well. DEFINITELY start practising. :p

That's awesome though, stick with it for a few months and you'll notice a huge difference on the mat!!

i know it's debated over there

but personally, you don't see kipping as "cheating"?

thanks for the positive words

planning on competing to win on the 13th

Chubrock
09-23-2007, 07:55 AM
but personally, you don't see kipping as "cheating"?

How are you cheating? When did we set the rules for smashing weight and decide that chins must be completed without any kind of total body involvement?

Roark
09-23-2007, 08:43 AM
How are you cheating? When did we set the rules for smashing weight and decide that chins must be completed without any kind of total body involvement?

just asking

imo, chins/pullups would be straight down to dead hang and back up

seems like kipping would be akin to using back momentum to bb curl heavy weight

but my knowledge of kipping is limited

Chubrock
09-23-2007, 09:48 AM
It's all about goals. The majority of the CF community is focused on maximizing power. Kipping chinups fit into their goals.

Roark
09-23-2007, 10:30 AM
cool, thanks

i'll look into it

i haven't posted in a while, but from what i remember, don't you train bjj in wilmington?

i saw a bunch of guys from champion's at the hayastan tourney in charlotte yesterday

forgive me if i'm mistaking you for someone else

Chubrock
09-23-2007, 11:34 AM
I used to train BJJ. After I had a falling out with the owner of the place I trained at, I started focusing on PLing. I've got a buddy who trains occasionally at Champion. I haven't been up there yet. Are you in Wilmington?

Progress
09-23-2007, 12:13 PM
That Heavy Fran video is incredible. The dude does it in under 5 minutes.

KingWilder
09-23-2007, 02:06 PM
wow, I did Fran today to see where I'm at

9:49

not too shabby, except I still feel like I could be sick and I finished it a good 25 minutes ago.

Anthony
09-23-2007, 03:44 PM
but personally, you don't see kipping as "cheating"

No. Anyone who talks smack about kipping falls into one of the following categories:

1) they don't know how to kip (it's a skill/coordination movement)
2) they have ****ty chinup numbers

Once someone learns how to kip, sees the results in both their kipping AND strict chinups, the debate simply doesn't exist. Results speak for themselves.

shansen008
09-23-2007, 05:48 PM
Man the more i read about crossfit the more i want to try it. Especially since my pullup numbers suck. Im not about bodybuilding, i do this for health and functional fitness mostly....and crossfit seems like it would be perfect for me.

Crossfit seems like it would benefit athletes way more than a traditional lifting routine, or maybe in conjunction with one you could get the best of both worlds.

Sensei
09-23-2007, 08:11 PM
No. Anyone who talks smack about kipping falls into one of the following categories:

1) they don't know how to kip (it's a skill/coordination movement)
2) they have ****ty chinup numbers

Once someone learns how to kip, sees the results in both their kipping AND strict chinups, the debate simply doesn't exist. Results speak for themselves.Pfffft... Kipping's for sissies. I could do it if I wanted, but to me, it's just like a bench shirt.

D Breyer
09-23-2007, 09:47 PM
I've been doing crossfit for about 8 months now and I'm never going back to the old BBing ways.

kipping pullups FTW.. I just wish I had more ammunition to counter all of the people who say kipping is cheating.

manowar669
09-24-2007, 06:09 AM
I've been doing crossfit for about 8 months now and I'm never going back to the old BBing ways.

11 months here, and ditto.

Man the more i read about crossfit the more i want to try it. Im not about bodybuilding, i do this for health and functional fitness mostly....and crossfit seems like it would be perfect for me.

You, and about 90% of us. Go find out.

Crossfit seems like it would benefit athletes way more than a traditional lifting routine, or maybe in conjunction with one you could get the best of both worlds.

Yep.

Roark
09-24-2007, 06:19 AM
I used to train BJJ. After I had a falling out with the owner of the place I trained at, I started focusing on PLing. I've got a buddy who trains occasionally at Champion. I haven't been up there yet. Are you in Wilmington?

charlotte

i've also heard they have a charuto purple belt who opened a school down at wrightsville

Roark
09-24-2007, 06:19 AM
wow, I did Fran today to see where I'm at

9:49

good job!