PDA

View Full Version : Eating Acorns, is it a good idea?

Sumorai
09-22-2007, 07:20 PM
I have collected some acorns and I am considering eating them. It "seems" like a good idea. Have you ever eaten acorns?
I *think* they are edible from what I have read, but I am not sure. Apparently, some Native American tribes used to harvest them, but it seems that had special methods of preparing them.

1.Is it a good idea to eat acorns?
a. Are they edible?
b. Are they healthy?

2. How does one tell if they have a "bad" acorn?

3. How should one prepare the acorns?(cooking, recipes...etc)

Thank you.

Trevor M.
09-22-2007, 07:45 PM
Just one question...Are you a squirrel?

Sumorai
09-22-2007, 07:46 PM
Just one question...Are you a squirrel?

??? No. Of course not.

Relentless
09-22-2007, 08:18 PM
A 0.19-second Google search for "cooking with acorns" netted me 283 web pages with that specific phrase, INCLUDING a pretty detailed wikipedia entry.

Don't you think that doing such a search would be a better first step in determining the nutrional value and preparation methodology for acorns?

You seem like a smart, articulate guy. It strikes me as odd that the Google approach wouldn't occur to you.

Sumorai
09-22-2007, 08:37 PM
Relentless,
Thank you for the good things that you said.
I did search wikipedia, and I searched google as well. The wikipedia entry discussed a bit of the history of acorn consumption amongst Native American tribes, and the google searches turned up results that were less than helpful to me. I did find one to be particularly good:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/clay79.html

But I wanted more perspectives, especially from the viewpoint of others on this forum(and specifically in the context of weight training and nutrition), who may have experiences with this type of thing, as well as additional recipes, and personal experiences in regard to the preparation of acorns, and other concerns especially with the cooking process.
I just thought that I would benefit from the perspectives of other members here. It seems that I am unlikely to derive anything positive in regards to acorns from this thread. Please delete if you see fit. Furthermore, I request that you do delete it.

Alex.V
09-22-2007, 09:29 PM
It seems that I am unlikely to derive anything positive in regards to acorns from this thread.

For some reason, this makes me giggle every time I read it.

....I'm sorry about your acorn issues. People simply might find it a bit odd, since they aren't particularly tasty nuts. They certainly won't hurt you; I'd assume based on their species, most acorns are closer to fatty grains in their nutrition profile, so perhaps not as high in protein as most nuts.

They're edible; I'd blend them up and blend them into a loaf (kinda like a banana nut bread) rather than eating them straight.

But they probably won't be an asset to your diet.

I hope this was a positive contribution to acorns. Found in this thread.

Sumorai
09-22-2007, 09:43 PM
For some reason, this makes me giggle every time I read it.

Okay.

....I'm sorry about your acorn issues.

So am I.

People simply might find it a bit odd, since they aren't particularly tasty nuts.

I do not see why they would find it odd considering I have never tasted one. But I am sure "they" find it odd, nonetheless.

They certainly won't hurt you;

That is good to know.

I'd blend them up and blend them into a loaf (kinda like a banana nut bread) rather than eating them straight.

I will consider this.

But they probably won't be an asset to your diet.

I am disappointed to know this.

I hope this was a positive contribution to acorns.

It was somewhat of a positive contribution to me. Somewhat negative to, but I will take what I can get.

My interest in acorns stems from an interest in paleolithic approaches to diet. This seems to be a trend that is gaining more momentum. There was the fact that I had to walk around a little and pick the acorns up off of the ground. So that is of additional benefit to someone who is mostly sedentary aside from engaging in recent weight training. There is also a "frugal" appeal that it has to me, as well.

RhodeHouse
09-23-2007, 10:31 AM
You hit the nail on the head when you said "TREND". Much like the ghey "core training" and "sport-specific training" and "functional training" trends.

Dude, eat some peanuts and call it a day. You want variety? Eat some mixed nuts.

Detard
09-23-2007, 10:37 AM
Why the **** would you want to eat acorns anyways?

Sumorai
09-23-2007, 10:41 AM
You hit the nail on the head when you said "TREND".

There is probably some truth to that. I was aware of the implications of using that word, but I decided to go with it anyway. But it just makes so much logical sense that it may be a good idea to eat a diet that is what our bodies were designed for. I don't know if you believe in evolution or not, so these time frames may not mesh with your belief systems:
Agriculture started, probably about like what 6000-10,000 years ago? Depending on whom you ask.
Human beings, as a distinct species, existed for about 100,000 years?
So worst case scenario, as a species we were hunter-gatherers for approximately 90,000 years. Not to mention the vast amount of time we were not "modern" humans, or even "human" for that matter.

But I don't know how much of this talk of our paleolithic diet is actually due to quality scientific research and how much of it is pure speculation, unfounded guesswork, and conjecture.

Much like the ghey "core training" and "sport-specific training" and "functional training" trends.

I note your objection to the above paradigms, and I will approach them with more skepticism whenever I encounter such ideas in the future.

Dude, eat some peanuts and call it a day. You want variety? Eat some mixed nuts.

Thank you for the advice, I will likely do that. I eat a bit of peanut butter as well.

Sumorai
09-23-2007, 10:43 AM

1. I was curious what they tasted like.

2. They thought acorns may be healthy.

3. The acorns were free.

Detard
09-23-2007, 11:01 AM
Hmmm interesting.

WORLD
09-23-2007, 11:04 AM
You're a squirrel aren't you! Winters not here yet, you dont have to start collecting for a few months.

Really though, I'm not sure how much they will benefit your diet for the goals you probably want to achieve.

TJ2389
09-23-2007, 11:38 AM
Guys there some kentucky blue grass outside my house...I was wondering if I should start eating it. Its free, and cows eat it. Look at how big they are! Pshh forget the acorns dude, squirrel eat acorns all the time and look at how tiny they are. Go for you lawn so you can be big as a cow.

Walrus
09-23-2007, 11:40 AM
http://www.solutions.uiuc.edu/content.cfm?item=199&

http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=1179850

Of course, I have to throw in:
http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/recipes/squirrel.html
:cool:

Sumorai
09-23-2007, 12:48 PM
If anyone is unaware that squirrels eat acorns, then reading this thread would definitely remedy that.

Alex.V
09-23-2007, 12:59 PM
One could only assume the preposterous verbosity utilized by the OP is designed to imply that this entire line of discourse is, well, a joke.

Sumorai
09-23-2007, 01:07 PM
One could only assume the preposterous verbosity utilized by the OP is designed to imply that this entire line of discourse is, well, a joke.

This thread was not intended to be a joke. I am completely serious. I do not understand why you would think my vocabulary or manner of writing implies that I am joking. Others have insisted on making a joke out of this thread, however. But that is their doing, not mine.
I have made my share of sarcastic comments and attempts at humor on this forum, but I no longer do that. I was not being myself and all of my attempts to come off as "normal" have fallen flat on their face. I do not think it wise of me to force myself into ways of speaking and relating to others that are not natural for me. I was not being true to myself(nor my Self). This is how I am.
When I am not being true to how I really am, I end up offending others and making a "donkey" of myself.

manowar669
09-23-2007, 03:29 PM
Some acorns contain high levels of tannins and would cause problems if eaten in any quantity. You can boil them in a few water changes to be sure. In a survival situation they can be leeched in running water to remove the tannins. Some can be eaten raw (white oak, I believe). Info courtesy of SERE school (US military survival school). There are better things to eat in your back yard.

VikingWarlord
09-23-2007, 06:53 PM
From experience, acorns are NOT a tasty treat. They actually kind of taste like aspirin.

sprahl85
09-23-2007, 07:06 PM
From experience, acorns are NOT a tasty treat. They actually kind of taste like aspirin.

omg so bitter.... ewwww

Sumorai
09-23-2007, 08:44 PM
I have decided not to consume acorns. Thank you for your time.

saia127
09-23-2007, 09:56 PM
when my brother was a kid, he ate acorns because he thought the inside was cheese.

manowar669
09-24-2007, 06:19 AM
when my brother was a kid, he ate acorns because he thought the inside was cheese.

A cheese tree? Oh, man, some genetic engineer better be working on that!

Sumorai
09-24-2007, 06:52 AM
A cheese tree? Oh, man, some genetic engineer better be working on that!

If they can make goats secrete spider silk out of their nipples, then I would imagine that a "cheese tree" is within the realm of possibility, in the very distant future. Seriously.

And if you are interested in more about the goat/spider silk thing, read this article from 2000:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/889951.stm

redFury
09-24-2007, 08:26 AM
3. The acorns were free.

Great thoughts honestly... but I think there is likely a reason why they are free. And and a reason why you don't hear people talking about eating them.

manowar669
09-24-2007, 12:09 PM
Grass is very nutritious, only you can't digest the cellulose in the leaves, but if you chew it, and spit out the pulp, you get some of those nutrients. I have a ****load of free lawn clippings for you if you want to come get them.

Keoni
09-24-2007, 01:10 PM
Anyone ever try wheatgrass juice? Is it nasty? Any benefits from it?

TJ2389
09-24-2007, 03:04 PM
Grass is very nutritious, only you can't digest the cellulose in the leaves, but if you chew it, and spit out the pulp, you get some of those nutrients. I have a ****load of free lawn clippings for you if you want to come get them.

Well....is it kentucky bluegrass? Thats the only type I eat..

noahfor123
09-24-2007, 08:49 PM
I've always heard that acorns are only edible if you prepare them in a certain way - like boiling them for a long time or scraping them or something like that.

When I was in first grade, I brought acorns to school to show for show and tell, but I got so nervous about having to show them that I put the acorns in my mouth to hide them. Then, my teacher asked me what was in my mouth and I tried to say "nothing" with a mouth full of acorns.

Sumorai
09-24-2007, 09:57 PM
I will not eat any acorns, nor will I eat grass. And I will not ask any more questions about eating things that are not commonly sold as food in retail markets. Please just let this thread die.

badmules
12-02-2007, 01:49 PM
it is true though that if you eat too many acorns you will become an acorn. Then you will wish you were really a squirrel instead of the acorn(u) that the squirrel is eating

BFGUITAR
12-02-2007, 02:11 PM
Hey guys I was at the hospital recently and I picked up a baby. Theyre free and seem pretty nutritious, anyone know how to prepare baby?

AKMass
12-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Babies <> free.

Hatred
12-03-2007, 04:02 PM
I hear that if you gather a bunch of acorns and throw them into a pot of water along with the baby it's quite tasty.

Don't forget to stuff the baby's ass chock full O'nuts first.

whiteman90909
12-03-2007, 04:37 PM
Great thoughts honestly... but I think there is likely a reason why they are free. And and a reason why you don't hear people talking about eating them.

Logic FTW

Cirino83
12-03-2007, 05:02 PM
I have decided not to consume acorns. Thank you for your time.

hahahahahaha I don't know why but I found this hilarious. :thumbup:

mickyjune26
12-03-2007, 05:03 PM

Too bad they don't have the same benefits as aspirin. i could totally save 2 dollars the next time i have a headache.

Isn't there some sort of bark that gets rid of headaches? Where is a medicine man when you need one?

mickyjune26
12-03-2007, 05:04 PM
I will not eat any acorns, nor will I eat grass. And I will not ask any more questions about eating things that are not commonly sold as food in retail markets. Please just let this thread die.

NEVER!!! LOL

But seriously. Thanks for posting this. I learned something today because of your courage. you are a brave person!

mickyjune26
12-03-2007, 05:06 PM
I've always heard that acorns are only edible if you prepare them in a certain way - like boiling them for a long time or scraping them or something like that.

When I was in first grade, I brought acorns to school to show for show and tell, but I got so nervous about having to show them that I put the acorns in my mouth to hide them. Then, my teacher asked me what was in my mouth and I tried to say "nothing" with a mouth full of acorns.

This is a funny story! ROFL. Why is everything so funny in this thread?

Hatred
12-03-2007, 05:39 PM
This really is one of the best threads Evar. I think I may stick it.

Invain
12-04-2007, 10:55 AM
Even though it wasn't meant to be....

This is one of the funniest threads I've read in a while.

badmules
12-10-2007, 10:48 AM
just saw on a recipe news channel, HoneyBaked ham stuffed with an ACORN squash lol.. Acorns are edible and cheap! you will however, have to fend off and/or fight the squirrels for the acorns and they are not scurred .....

zen
12-10-2007, 10:59 AM
I have acorns at my place, and buckeyes, but the only non-fruit that falls from my trees that I have contemplated eating is the walnuts... but I heard you have to cook them and can't eat them raw, so I never tried them. Personally, I'll leave them to the squirrels unless the world economy collapses and I turn to scavenging.

samadhi_smiles
12-17-2007, 08:56 AM
My input to this strange thread:

Yes, I have consumed acorns before. They are quite tasty. When we used to shoot squirrels to eat something, we would slit open their stomachs and a lot of times they would have an acorn paste in them. We would use this to thicken a gravy that we would eat with the squirrel meat. Delicious!

Also, you might not want to mess around kentucky blue grass as it contains a somewhat potent tryptamine (dimethyltryptamine). However, it is not orally active, but apparently in some species it is since there have been reports of animals 'tripping out' after consuming it!

BFGUITAR
12-17-2007, 09:26 AM
I cant believe this thread is still going.

Cirino83
12-17-2007, 10:13 AM
I can't believe people eat squirrels.

AKMass
12-17-2007, 10:18 AM
I can't believe people eat squirrel pre-poop.

I also can't believe it's not butter.

zen
12-17-2007, 10:55 AM
I can't believe people eat squirrels.
lemme tell you a story about a man named Jed......

aes1989
12-17-2007, 11:26 AM
Yes, I have consumed acorns before. They are quite tasty. When we used to shoot squirrels to eat something, we would slit open their stomachs and a lot of times they would have an acorn paste in them. We would use this to thicken a gravy that we would eat with the squirrel meat. Delicious!

this made me want to throw up.

bjohnso
12-17-2007, 12:50 PM
I can't believe people eat squirrel pre-poop.

I also can't believe it's not butter.

LMAO!

mickyjune26
12-17-2007, 01:06 PM
My input to this strange thread:

Gross...really gross...

samadhi_smiles
12-17-2007, 02:43 PM
ya'll just haven't lived until ya ate acorn mash from a squirrel's stomach! Great for bulking! :thumbup:

RickTheDestroyer
12-17-2007, 02:55 PM
Also, you might not want to mess around kentucky blue grass as it contains a somewhat potent tryptamine (dimethyltryptamine).
How potent a concentration are we talking here? A little visit from the MAOI fairy and it'd be orally active. :read: :thumbup:

samadhi_smiles
12-17-2007, 02:58 PM
not very potent unfortunately, although you can order bark from a beautiful tree of the genus Mimosa from the Amazon that has DMT content up to 1% :D

Oh beautiful spiraling chaos, I bask in your glory Mother DMT.

RickTheDestroyer
12-17-2007, 03:01 PM
Oh beautiful spiraling chaos, I bask in your glory Mother DMT.
You and me both buddy, albeit it's been awhile. ;)

Max Thunder
12-17-2007, 03:17 PM
Acorns

Acorns are very high in tannins, which make them very bitter and astringent when eaten raw. They need to be boiled or roasted, or both to make them palatable. The sweetest nuts come from the white, burr, and chestnut oaks. The black, pin, and red oak acorns are bitter.

To use: Collect the acorns in the fall, when ripe. Remove shells and caps. The shells will come off easier if you first slit them with a sharp knife. Boil the acorns whole for at least two hours, changing the water each time it becomes light brown in color. This boiling removes the bitterness and they become pleasantly sweet. You will find, after this boiling, that they are quite dark brown in color. Toast in a 350 degree F oven for another hour. They can then be eaten as they are or ground into flour.

SW
12-17-2007, 05:22 PM
I have acorns at my place, and buckeyes, but the only non-fruit that falls from my trees that I have contemplated eating is the walnuts... but I heard you have to cook them and can't eat them raw, so I never tried them. Personally, I'll leave them to the squirrels unless the world economy collapses and I turn to scavenging.

Take a hammer and go eat yourself some walnuts. Used to do it all the time as a kid.

Hatred
12-18-2007, 10:40 AM
Lol.

galileo
12-18-2007, 11:28 AM

I lol'd. Not for the comment as much as the comment following the reading others' (including Belial's).

Mik
12-18-2007, 11:55 AM
I lol'd. Not for the comment as much as the comment following the reading others' (including Belial's).

Admit it. You love nuts.

galileo
12-18-2007, 11:58 AM
Admit it. You love nuts.

Mostly because they're free. :birthday:

AKMass
12-18-2007, 12:06 PM
If they can make goats secrete spider silk out of their nipples, then I would imagine that a "cheese tree" is within the realm of possibility, in the very distant future. Seriously.

And if you are interested in more about the goat/spider silk thing, read this article from 2000:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/889951.stm

SPIDER GOAT, SPIDER GOAT....DOES WHATEVER A SPIDER GOAT DOES.

Man I love this thread.

zen
12-18-2007, 12:08 PM
Take a hammer and go eat yourself some walnuts. Used to do it all the time as a kid.

Yeah, I wiki'd walnuts after I made my post and it said they were edible. Shame too, because I ran over a boat load of them this fall with my lawn mower. lol

samadhi_smiles
12-18-2007, 04:16 PM
You had to use wikipedia to find out whether walnuts are edible???

Da Wasian
01-12-2008, 03:27 PM
lol..

TopCat
01-12-2008, 04:56 PM
Man, the first page of this threads still makes me laugh. Another classic, though recent, thread of WBB.

BFGUITAR
01-12-2008, 06:38 PM
Yeh definitely a classic.

McLovin
01-14-2008, 09:01 AM
They taught us how to eat acorns among other stuff not normally consumed when I was in the Navy at S.E.R.E.'s school. Just have to get past the bitterness of them. I'm not sure on their nutritional value though.

kcurrin
02-05-2008, 02:49 PM
Acorns taste really bad.

Detard
02-05-2008, 07:47 PM
Acorns taste really bad.

And act as window smashers when thrown at cars...:hide:

getb1g
02-05-2008, 08:49 PM
only if you like nuts

Angler
02-28-2008, 09:02 AM
Since you are looking to eat acorns for food I’m assuming you would be looking for the acorn with the most protein. Out of the six major acorns producing Oaks the Post oak (Quercus stellata), has the highest crude protein values at 6.8, 6.7 Crude Fat, and 18.1 Crude fiber. http://www.na.fs.fed.us/pubs/silvics_manual/volume_2/quercus/stellata.htm

Just in case you find you love acorns and want the trees to produce a larger crop.
http://www.whitetailstewards.com/articlesonsite/deerhabitatmanagement/improveacornproductionpart1.htm

I have eaten some acorns in the past but it’s not the norm for me. I’ve also eaten worms out of Tequila bottles but my taste buds advanced to much better Tequilas.:evillaugh:

I’m a big time hunting/fisherman. To be more successful at hunting deer I need to know not only what they are eating but why. I see deer passing over a mile of Oak trees that are dropping enough acorns to cover the ground to get to a certain type Oak. Several deer will be feeding under one out of 100’s of trees for the acorns with the most nutritional values. Pretty wild they know this without ever ready a study.

This you mentioned the Paleolithic diet issue, I read a bit on this subject and remember that it stated that many foods have a natural defense system so certain animals wouldn’t eat them. Like wheat has glutens, potatoes and leguens have toxins, and some seeds taste very bitter and are made to pass through to benefit the plant such as an apple. So wouldn’t the very bitter nasty taste of a raw acorn mean to stay away from it staying on the Paleolithic diet path?

PHILSTER
03-27-2008, 02:04 PM
First off

pure speculation, unfounded guesswork, and conjecture.

= the grand theory of evolution.

Secondly, all sarcasm aside, I'd advise you to just leave the acorns to the squirrels and spend the three dollars (possibly less) on either a jar of peanut butter or nuts. :idea:

Notorious
03-27-2008, 04:16 PM
You had to use wikipedia to find out whether walnuts are edible???

lol

Man, I crack up everytime I see this thread.

**** should be stickied.

live2lift
03-28-2008, 02:38 AM
I hear that if you gather a bunch of acorns and throw them into a pot of water along with the baby it's quite tasty.

Don't forget to stuff the baby's ass chock full O'nuts first.

I want to thank you for this post. Laughed so hard I think an acorn just shot out of my ass.

atmzsa
03-30-2008, 12:48 PM
Why would you want to eat acorns if there is perfectly normal food more easily accessible?

If you want to be frugal, you could always become "freegan"

McIrish
03-30-2008, 03:09 PM
Why would you want to eat acorns if there is perfectly normal food more easily accessible?

If you want to be frugal, you could always become "freegan"

I'd sooner take my chances with poisonous acorns that dumpster dive for half-eaten burritos! :thumbup:

I love this thread and when people are quoting it in 5 years I'll look back on this and laugh! What up future me

WUKILLABEEZ78
04-24-2008, 08:58 PM
I knew a guy who's whole family ate acorns. They were pretty weird though. The kids went barefoot most of the year and only wore shoes when it got cold. The kids also referred to their parents as Ma and Pa. That was funnier than them eating acorns to me, the only time I'd heard about people calling their parents Ma and Pa was in books I'd read about hillbillies... that's some Little House on the Prairie type s##t... I felt sorry for the guy though. People picked on him and called him "Ratboy"... Kids can be cruel but that's another story entirely....

scumbag
06-18-2008, 12:55 PM
hahaahhhaa best thread EVER

AKMass
06-18-2008, 03:32 PM
Back from the dead....suh-weeeet!

ProLogic
06-19-2008, 04:06 PM
When the United States reaches the stage of civil unrest, Acorns are the best option. I have the military survival handbook and recipe's on how to prepare and cook road kill. And lots of acorn recipes: acorn meal, bread e.t.c. If worst comes to worse.. I'm ready.

ThomasG
10-01-2008, 09:13 PM

Guys there some kentucky blue grass outside my house...I was wondering if I should start eating it. Its free, and cows eat it. Look at how big they are! Pshh forget the acorns dude, squirrel eat acorns all the time and look at how tiny they are. Go for you lawn so you can be big as a cow.

This thread is so full of win.

Invain
10-01-2008, 11:11 PM
I remember reading this for the first time, I was sitting in the grad library and could not stop myself from laughing. It was so bad I had to walk to the bathroom so I could calm down, lol.

manowar669
10-02-2008, 10:19 AM
It lives!!!!

Hanlon
10-13-2008, 08:19 PM
I ate them as a kidling, they are bitter.

OXplode
11-26-2008, 07:35 AM
lactating trees is the way to go

Mercuryblade
12-16-2008, 02:24 AM
1. I was curious what they tasted like.

2. They thought acorns may be healthy.

3. The acorns were free.

This made me lol. I'm having a sleepless night, so I tip my hat to you sir, for making it less miserable.

Focused70
12-19-2008, 03:05 PM
lactating trees is the way to go

:eek:

rbtrout
12-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Acorns seem to work for squirrels, so maybe? The only problem is I don't recall ever seeing any 250 pound powerlifting squirrels around......if I had I'd run like crazy.

twm
12-28-2008, 04:46 PM
i dont think squirrels have opposable thumbs either. they must use suicide grip

powerboy93
12-28-2008, 05:04 PM
http://www.fugly.com/media/IMAGES/Stupid/strong_squirrel.jpg

EAT THOSE ACORNS! they are as good as roids...

etcarl
01-20-2009, 08:54 PM
HAHA; this thread is too funny for this site. It should be on a comedy forum. You're all botards in the best sense, kudos.

However; it really ticks me off how young people act like they're new age rebels, but they talk like 1920's conformist pigs. Like ''If the government, big buisnesses, local molestors aren't doing it; WHY WOULD YOU!?! Like OMGZERS''. Hey; if I grabbed some random weed out of my backyard, blended it into a paste with some of my butthairs, and it became a popular treat and a respected source of many nutrients (like crap molecules, yum); would you eat it and say it's Gods grand rainbow fart design? Just because people do things, it doesn't make them good. People smoke. They jerk off upside down while choking themselves. Human beings aren't really all that bright.

Carp has incredible amounts of protien compared to other fish. I hear it's gross and is a bottom feeder. Most people won't eat it. You could, but most don't. Because most don't, would eating it be stupid? Is the opposite of conforimty ignorance? Especially in a totalitarion regime that we have. Kids these days. Look also at what cows eat (and guess what geniuses; it isn't grass); alfalfa. Alfalfa has an incredible nutritional profile, and if you can find some growing in a field for free, pick it. Most people wouldn't eat it, but don't crap on the people that will take an Afalfa supplement. Stop sucking uncle sams teat you emos! Lay off the different peeps around you (or as those dopes on lost so unintelligently call them: The Others), HAHA.

And while we're on the cow subject: The March 25, 2002 issue of Hoard's Dairyman (the dairy farmers magazine) reveals a mixed menu of gourmet foods in a dairy cow's diet, including chicken feathers, blood, pork, fish, and soybeans. Just thought you might want to know that. *GAGS*
http://www.tezoarillustration.com/weblog/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/squirrel-rough-1-and-a-half.jpg
http://www.treehugger.com/army_squirrel.jpg
http://www.vi-r-us.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/squirrel.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w257/squirrelmaster88/super_squirrel.jpg

redwolf4k
01-21-2009, 06:31 PM
I thought I was on a budget for my weight lifting diet man. This dudes walking around the woods collecting acorns. LOL jk jk

platypus
01-22-2009, 02:30 AM
I'm pretty sure I got an ab workout just from laughter.

killxswitch
06-25-2009, 01:59 PM
I read Detard's post in this thread - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126292&highlight=acorn

So I did a search for "acorn" to see what was so funny. Enjoy, all you who missed it the first time.

Mr. Mustard
06-25-2009, 03:05 PM
This is some of the most ******o **** I've read on here. Amazing.

StartingAt33
06-25-2009, 07:26 PM
If you seriously want to collect a "free nut" from your backyard then collect those pinecones.

This delicate and buttery nut, which contains the highest amount of protein of all nuts and seeds, comes in several varieties

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d9/StonePine.jpg/300px-StonePine.jpg

WillNoble
06-25-2009, 09:00 PM
best thread ever on this site, I laugh a little more every time I read it

Ben Moore
06-25-2009, 09:36 PM
How the fawk did I miss this before??? Classic stuff kids

VikingWarlord
06-25-2009, 10:54 PM
God, why won't this thread die?

BFGUITAR
06-26-2009, 07:58 AM
LOL epic thread.

sohel001
07-03-2009, 06:55 AM
So why aren't people eating acorns? Only way I can figure it, is it must be a ... Good stuff…I will admit, now I am curious about how they taste. ..... I had never really been introduced to the idea of acorns as a source of human food, ...

dynamo
07-10-2009, 02:07 PM
yes!

brettmartin
07-10-2009, 07:50 PM
I eat pecans and almonds all the time, never tried acorns though? :confused:

angelo212
02-14-2010, 08:36 PM
I just read this whole thread thanks to AKMASS having it in his signature with the heading saying "Best Thread Ever". It was.

Mark!
02-14-2010, 10:06 PM
HAHA. People started asking me what the hell was wrong sitting here at work and laughing out loud. Epic win.

Lones Green
02-15-2010, 06:25 AM
I thought this thread was done haha

J.C.
02-15-2010, 07:23 AM
I think there should be a hall of fame sticky in general chat for the greatest threads. This should be in it and so should that one about the guy who saved a squirrel.

Mark!
02-15-2010, 03:34 PM
I wonder who would win...the guy who saves squirrels, or the guy who wants to steal their food supply??

angelo212
02-15-2010, 05:48 PM
Noticed the dude who started this thread disappered real fast. At least on this thread anyway.

bedukes
02-21-2010, 12:04 PM
I ate a whole grocery bag full of acorns a few years ago, man you should've seen me go! I felt so awful the next day you would've thought I had been in a fight with a 300lb gorilla. I'll never do that again. LOL

Keith
03-03-2010, 09:03 PM
Dammit AKMass, thanks a lot for making me read this entire thread again. Definitely got a laugh out of it, though. Some of Belial's quotes really make me LOL. Where the hell did that ridiculously strong genius go, anyways? Probably curing some form of cancer or something...

Alex.V
06-30-2012, 07:37 PM
Probably curing some form of cancer or something...

Yep, took care of it!

Jonathan E
07-01-2012, 09:43 AM
First time reading this. Very amused. 10/10

http://www.sciuridae.org/Sciurus%20carolinensis/20080501%20Sciurus%20Carolinesis3.jpg

jed
07-03-2012, 01:50 PM
And the thread lives on!!!

Jonathan E
05-07-2014, 11:53 PM
There are some real gem threads here..if you you dig deep enough.