PDA

View Full Version : first time properly hitting a bag

samj
09-23-2007, 04:04 PM
i am going to start boxing lessons soon so i thought i would get the first time i hit a bag up so i can look back on it:thumbup:

what do you guys think? any tips advice? good points bad points?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=vHC0DpsCt24

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=P2zYh6i2A0I

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-3fUbkB4aQM

the last one who said people who lift heavy and are quite heavy are slow huh

McVein
09-23-2007, 04:18 PM
just watched the 1st one therem when you throw your combos or flurrys, youre leaving yourself wide open, i know the bag wont hit back so its hard to practice like that, but especially on the double jab, or your flurry of body blows, you have to get hour hands back up just as quickly as they went out.

oh, and the punches should come from your hips, not your shoulders.

on the second vid youre guard is very close to you but its only covering your chest, as i said its hard when youre not getting hit back..

TJ2389
09-23-2007, 04:27 PM
Look like you got some decent combos there, but like mcvein said, remember to keep your hands after you make an exchange, gotta protect the looks as they say. I work with my bag down in my basement as well (lighter bag, only 30 pounds i believe). But what I do is put these weights around my feet. The ones that rap around your ankles so that my training with the bag has that extra umph to it. You will notice when you take them off it will be easier to move on your feet.

thoughtshewas18
09-23-2007, 05:17 PM
ur pretty swole.

when u punch with ur right as you release pull back with your lef shoulder so u can get the full extension

HahnB
09-23-2007, 05:27 PM
If the bag moves too much it could a sign of two things, one being that you're not bringing your punches back in fast enough, or the bag is just too light. How heavy is that bag? You do any speed bag work? I've been learning the speed bag but not doing much heavy bag work. I was thinking about taking lessons in boxing or braz. jujitsu.

samj
09-25-2007, 02:36 PM
so i need to better my defense? i'll work on that. I need to work on swivelling my hips on every punch also. I do need a heavier bag i am no expert but its to thin and spins to much.

when u punch with ur right as you release pull back with your lef shoulder so u can get the full extension

i am not to sure what that means? but i think i know

JSully
09-25-2007, 05:36 PM
so you're a southpaw, I love beating on guys like you. When you extend that right for a jab is when I duck and swivel right for a strong left hook to the midsection and then either a straight right or uppercut to the face. I fight conventional. Most people have problems fighting southpaw but I find them easier.

A couple things as I've been boxing for some time now. You're stopping your punches short. Let your arm extend fully as if you're punching through the person. This will help in sparring because if you always do this it actually "pushes" your opponent around and they can't keep on balance. Also, when you throw your hook you throw it with your shoulders/arms/chest. The hook needs to come from your hips. You swivel your torso sideways and keep the hook tight (keeping your elbow at a 90 degree angle). By doing this you can get a MUCH stronger hook.

Also, don't judge your speed on how fast you can shadowbox. I've seen guys that look very fast shadow boxing and just get annihilated by me in the ring. And I don't see myself as very fast at all. I'm 6' 270lbs and against a good boxing of about 210lbs or so, their speed should crush mine. One great thing to do for speed is get 2lb wrist weights and wrap them on your wrists when you're hitting everything, the heavy bag, speed bag and double ended bag. That double ended bag will be your best excercise for for gaining speed.

Anyways, just a few tips from one boxer to another.

oh yeah, you need a new bag. a 200lb bag. that things way too light for you.

left hook
09-28-2007, 11:20 AM
Looking good but i'd need to see how you have your feet placed. I've been boxing since I was a kid. You got the basics down great. I'm gonna guess you already realize your a southpaw. You didn't make the biggest mistake I see most new guys make which is not keeping your chin tucked, you had it down and had your hands placed perfect. Keep it up and I say go for it. Most people I see that start usually go around swining wild but you got alot down great already. Boxing is probably one of the best sports you can get involved in. If you start training are you gonna try and fight amatuer?

samj
09-28-2007, 01:47 PM
thanks left hook ye i definitly(sp) want to fight amatuer i realise i have alot of work and my shoulders seem to burn out quite quick(shoulder injuries)
i want a new bag but my dads sayin no lol he only stands in one spot and taps it to get his heartrate up so there is no difference to him but is to me.
i want a new bag to train on for a few weeks and get right into some cardio and then go to a club.

Stumprrp
09-28-2007, 02:38 PM
i wouldn't fight you thats for sure!

ernburn
09-28-2007, 06:51 PM
i wouldn't fight you thats for sure!

same here and no im not :french:

phatmonky
09-29-2007, 06:51 AM
All shoulders and no hips. Turn into them a little more.

Or better yet, find a boxing gym near by. A few circuits and some sparring and you'll be good in no time.

phatmonky
09-29-2007, 06:58 AM
Most people have problems fighting southpaw but I find them easier. .

I'm one of them. The first time I sparred a southpaw guy, he was 30-40 lbs lighter and about 15 years more experience. The guy found holes to my body no matter what I did. My legs almost stopped working from the liver shots hahaha