PDA

View Full Version : Chub's Pulling Session, Critique Away

Chubrock
09-23-2007, 08:33 PM
The following is the majority of my pulling session from the other day. Some of you know I've been having a hell of a time tweaking my DL form. All competent comments are welcome. Just to get a few things out of the way:

1. The progression is 225, 275, 315, 335, 365, 385

2. The shirt comes off to let ya'll see how my back is holding the arch, or not.

3. Feel free to make fun of how small I am.

4. The song cuts off halfway. Something screwed up while editing it.

_91VL3alLpU

Anthony
09-24-2007, 03:54 AM
I noticed a few things, but I'm in a rush ... what stands out most is that your hips shoot up every single rep. Which indicates to me that you're trying to yank it off the floor and/or your shoulder blades are behind the bar when you initiate the pull.

And it looks like you have a real hard time getting into position. Not sure why you insist on the super wide sumo stance, but you may need to work on flexibility for that position because I watch your arch flatten out as soon as you get near the bottom.

Fast pulls though!

j_man_honda
09-24-2007, 06:14 AM
You look heavier than 165 bro.... I havent tried sumos yet but watchin your vid has made me want to.

Chubrock
09-24-2007, 07:02 AM
And it looks like you have a real hard time getting into position. Not sure why you insist on the super wide sumo stance, but you may need to work on flexibility for that position because I watch your arch flatten out as soon as you get near the bottom.

You're right, I do have a hard time getting into position. Most likely it is a flexibility question. I use the sumo stance because I feel like it's about the only option I have as far as potentially maintaing an arch. I'll try and shoot shoot some video of me pulling conv and with a closer sumo stance so you can get an idea. Any suggestions on keeping my hips from rising too fast?

redFury
09-24-2007, 08:49 AM
Thanks for posting this up man... I actually have the exact same problem with losing my arch both on squat and deadlift. It's nice to finally be able to recognize why its happening.

RedSpikeyThing
09-24-2007, 08:50 AM
Strong deads chub!

Any suggestions on keeping my hips from rising too fast?

I don't know if this is right, but it worked for me.
Focus on pulling back, rather than up, and think about trying to get your hips under the bar.......almost like your trying to humping it :nod:

EDIT: Are you wearing briefs?

Chubrock
09-24-2007, 09:54 AM
No problem Red.

Spike- Nah I'm not wearing briefs. What you're seeing is my UnderArmour compression shorts.

bigmoney
09-24-2007, 10:51 AM
not sure if you have read this article: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/sumo_deadlift.htm

but here are a ffew pointers he makes that I think you would benefit from:

" 1. Feet pointed outwards, wider stance: This will get your knees out more and your hips closer to the bar, which makes it easier to keep your shoulders behind the bar. This really takes advantage of the strong back, ass, and hamstrings that we spend most of our time developing. This also helps with getting back on your heels and not up on your toes.

2. Sit back more before you break the ground: This should feel very tight (while sitting back, you’re pulling the slack out of the bar). This will get your shins perpendicular, and improve your arch and hip position (which should still be as high as possible without leaning over or losing your arch).

3. Get your ****ing head up: We all know this, and we all still need to be told about it from time to time. ****ing do it. "

Chubrock
09-24-2007, 11:32 AM
Money- Thanks for the link, but yea, I've read it. Actually think I have it printed out.

Con
09-24-2007, 03:06 PM
" 1. Feet pointed outwards, wider stance: This will get your knees out more and your hips closer to the bar, which makes it easier to keep your shoulders behind the bar. This really takes advantage of the strong back, ass, and hamstrings that we spend most of our time developing. This also helps with getting back on your heels and not up on your toes.

Anthony mentioned it in his post and I believe he gets it from ripptoe, but arents your shoulders supposed to be in the front of the bar?

Thats the only thing I can add chub.

Good work and gl improving form.

RickTheDestroyer
09-24-2007, 03:09 PM
Looking good dude.
One thing I noticed right off the bat is that you go down to the bar and **** around for 10 seconds and destroy your stretch reflex. Get on down there and pull.
Maybe actually pull your legs/feet in a little. I have a much easier time with sumo when I have my shins just a short way outside the rings, if not right at them.
I almost think of getting into position like I think of a box squat- I'm constantly trying to sit back farther... I'll get my feet in position, come down so that I can grab the bar, and then try to lock my back and almost rotate down and back hard- so that I'd fall right over if I wasn't anchored to the bar... that seems to help me anyway. Of course, my deadlift is ****sville right now so...

Sensei
09-24-2007, 04:06 PM
I noticed a few things, but I'm in a rush ... what stands out most is that your hips shoot up every single rep. Which indicates to me that you're trying to yank it off the floor and/or your shoulder blades are behind the bar when you initiate the pull.

Fast pulls though!Yeah, I'd agree w. this. You might just start with your hips an inch or two higher and really focus on pointing your ass at the sky, driving the chest upward (in Pavel terms, work on your "wedge").

Chubrock
09-24-2007, 05:12 PM
I appreciate all the suggestions guys.

Natetaco
09-24-2007, 05:48 PM
only thing i sorta noticed was your shoulders, they seem out in front, at least at the front of the pull. maybe tighten up there, other then that looks pretty good.

Chickenlegs
09-24-2007, 06:34 PM
I noticed you look down when lowering the weight. Keep that head up

deeder
09-24-2007, 06:55 PM
I agree with much of what has been said in here... Narrow your stance a little bit... It seems you are not flexible enough to set up properly with that wide of stance.

Get your chest up at the beginning of the lift and keep it up. Squeeze the bar off the floor with your ass don't yank it with your back.

Other than the stance and the start of the lift you looked strong and once you figure out your setup you should add some easy poundage.

Chubrock
09-25-2007, 10:49 AM
Appreciate all the suggestions guys. I'll try and incorporate some of them the next time I pull.

Fitzg
10-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Toes out, in line with knees, wide is fine, just stick your ass out, shoulders back, grip and rip.