PDA

View Full Version : Extra fat, back off, ignore it...wtf now?

Hutch175
09-24-2007, 09:27 AM
Ok, so I been busting my hump since 1 Aug to gain weight. Last time I worked at this I was truly considered a hard gainer (5'5" 100lbs, in 1992...could eat a horse and it not matter) So this time I feel the same. Once I get my maint. calories. I figure I need about 3k to start packing it on, so I get on it. I start out at 3k and the weight was a coming (weight started at 153) 2lbs a week on average. Some weeks 2.5. I was adding muscle, but was also adding fat. (backed off to 2800 calories for comfort)I loved teh extra size, but was uncomfortable with the extra pudge. Hit a high on 15 Sept 171.6 (18lbs, month and half...no complaints)...BUT I had an extra pudge. I know I shouldnt worry much...but its not comfortable. My original goal was 175 by Christmas....I had to adjust that, as it seemed I would hit that. So I am shooting for 175 by Oct 11th and will readjust again from then. Ultimately, 185 is the goal.

SOOOOO...do I ignore the pudge and keep pounding it on (keeping in mind the LBM is coming as well) or do I back it down some. I am at 170 now and holding. I have noticed some of the pudge fading and the LBM seems to still be growing.

Thanks for the help. Those 18lbs are because of u guys anyway ;-)

Outshine
09-24-2007, 09:40 AM
2-2.5lbs per week is too much. I've seen Christian Thibaudeau, Lyle McDonald and other smart people say that the best the average natural male can hope for is something like 0.5lbs of actual muscle per week.

So, if you're gaining 2lbs or 2.5lbs per week, and at best 0.5lbs of it is muscle... that's like 2lbs of fat per week. You'd be much better off slowing down that weight gain. Shooting for 0.5lbs gained per week (and hoping most of that is muscle) is a better idea.

As for backing off at this point... that could be a good idea. The fatter you get, the worse your partitioning (calories going to muscle or body fat) becomes.

You didn't mention exactly how fat you've gotten, but since it seems to be bothering you, now might be a good time to back off and get rid of that fat and then start over again when you're leaner with a much slower bulk so you aren't in this position again.

Hutch175
09-24-2007, 09:50 AM
Well, "fatter" to me is relative. I am not used to having a stomach. My waist is 32 and has been that way for YEARS. I have noticed some 32s now dont fit, but its my hips/azz and not the belly. SO, by "fat" I guess I just mean an uncomfortable fat to me. But I have LOVED the gains.

I think (and this is a question for the gurus) I might need to change the ratios up some.
Fat 41
Carbs 35
Protein 25

I know ratio wise it seems I need more protein, but I am getting about 1g per lb. So, I will up that, reduce the fat, move the carbs around, and see what sticks. Since the past week has been at 170, I might go ahead and bump those calories back to 3k too......with the new ratios.

Holto
09-24-2007, 10:24 AM
2-2.5lbs per week is too much. I've seen Christian Thibaudeau, Lyle McDonald and other smart people say that the best the average natural male can hope for is something like 0.5lbs of actual muscle per week.

Nonsense. Rhodehouse can put on 1lb of LBM per day. :)

Hutch175
09-25-2007, 06:24 AM
Anyone? anything? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance. First time truly working on a "bulk" and just dont want to see it all go to pot(belly) :burger:

WillKuenzel
09-25-2007, 06:48 AM
If you wear 32's and the hips and ass are filling out but not the waist, then that's not a bad thing. It shows you're putting on fairly good mass. I have a 33-34" inch waist but wear 38's to fit my legs and hips. Most clothes are not made to fit an athletic individual.

If you feel that you are putting on too much mass just cut the calories back a little and don't worry about it. Look to gain about .5-1lb a week.

RhodeHouse
09-25-2007, 10:56 AM
Dude, keep packing it on. Those are awesome gains. Don't sacrifice the hard work because your belly feels a little big. You mentioned that you feel like the fat is coming off, eventhough you're still adding weight, right? Keep after it. If you like what you SEE, keep doing it. If you don't FEEL good, add some light cardio 3x a week. Don't sacrifice all those calories. Sometimes it sucks to gain weight. Try going from 290-315 in about the same time you gained. Good times. Max Effort Eating

eddie500
09-25-2007, 11:24 AM
I'm having the same decisions as you when it comes to my wait.

It seems that for your situation and mine, say you want to be 185lbs, would be to bulk to 200lbs then lose the fat as it is inefficient to keep cutting and bulking.

It is also probably good to keep your gains probably between 1lbs and 1.5lbs a week. I am having a problem with this because Its hard to really count calories when my meals change daily,

RhodeHouse
09-25-2007, 03:14 PM
Nonsense. Rhodehouse can put on 1lb of LBM per day. :)

Suck a C@CK!

onetroubledguy
09-25-2007, 10:55 PM
I imagine I will be in the exact same boat as you eventually. I'm 5'9 and started at roughly 130. This is my 3rd week and I'm now 144.

I use to only eat a single meal a day for about a year, so I think the sudden change in diet caused such a rapid gain, which I assume will level out once my body adjusts. Right now I noticed a little extra belly fat (I've never been fat my entire life), but I'm going to stick with it for a while and see how bad it gets. I would like to get to 185 before I start to cut, but that's long down the road and I don't know how "fat" I could stand feeling/looking. Time will tell.

Also, I've been getting about 2600-3000 calories a day. My diet has mainly consisted of milk, pb, eggs, oatmeal, and tuna/chicken (not the best, but definitely an improvement).

RhodeHouse
09-26-2007, 05:46 PM
Dude, your diet is fine. Keep eating. Just do some light cardio 3x a week to keep the fat to a minimum

smalls
09-26-2007, 06:16 PM
Suck a C@CK!

Seriously? Your how old again?

RhodeHouse
09-26-2007, 09:50 PM
Smalls - Seriously? You again? Don't you have better things to do with your time than to follow me around this forum and disagree with everything I say?

I appreciate your attention, though. It makes me feel special - like you really care about me. It's nice.

redFury
09-26-2007, 10:12 PM
You mentioned that you feel like the fat is coming off, eventhough you're still adding weight, right? Keep after it. If you like what you SEE, keep doing it. If you don't FEEL good, add some light cardio 3x a week. Don't sacrifice all those calories.

I think Rhodes is spot on.... sounds like you already made a good adjustment and are progressing in the direction you wanted to (towards >lbm). Keep lifting heavy and doing HIIT or cardio if you need to... and keep up the good work!

Hutch175
09-27-2007, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the assistance! I will bump the calories back up next week, but will add it back in the forms of proteins this time rather than carbs and try to throw in some cardio here and there. Got about 3 weeks to throw on 4.5lbs to hit my goal (my re-established goal anyways).

RhodeHouse
09-27-2007, 09:59 AM
Make sure you keep some good carbs in there. The more carbs you eat, the less protein is necessary. I've always gained the most with higher carb intake. Nice work. Keep after it.