PDA

View Full Version : Professional Fighters

TJ2389
09-25-2007, 09:43 PM
Are there any trained fighters in here or people with serious experience? If so, I would like to start independent workout routine based around getting in "fighting shape". Everything from the type of cardio/stretching to the the type of weights/excercises to the equitment I would need. Basically I am looking for someone who can help me design a routine for a beginner who wants to get into MMA. The equitment I already have are a 30 pound bag, wraps/tapes.

nddillon
09-25-2007, 09:58 PM
I have alot of experience in MMA, training not fighting.

Are you looking for the conditioning, the technique, a routine, what???BJ Penn uses alot of crossfit.com stuff.

There are alot of MMA forums out there, I suggest you start there. Also go to the GPP section and search.

Maybe I could be more help if I knew exactly what you were looking for

TJ2389
09-25-2007, 10:00 PM
A specific workout split designed to create a fighter.

method115
09-25-2007, 11:23 PM
I'm not sure what design exactly but you wanna use high reps to build muslce endurance and you wanna get a speed day going to.

Chubrock
09-26-2007, 06:47 AM
I suggest you get into a studio/gym somewhere and start training your ground work and standup. Worry about learning to fight.

Bruteman
09-26-2007, 07:50 AM
There isn't a set routine for fighters. You arrange your trainning based on your own strengths/weaknessess/fighting style. A KO artists trains differently than a submissionist, who trains differently than someone who likes to finness himself to a decision, who trains differently than a ground-and-pound guy.

I would say get to a gym, or club, and learn to fight first, and then go from there. The two books here (http://www.rosstraining.com/products.html) are very good in helping you get your strength and conditioning situated. His site is very helpfull too.

TJ2389
09-26-2007, 08:39 PM
Thanks guys i just actually found this cool video archive on crossfit that shows you some basic moves in terms of fighting.

Jatt111
09-27-2007, 12:23 AM
Thanks guys i just actually found this cool video archive on crossfit that shows you some basic moves in terms of fighting.

TJ, i see you got the core values at the bottom. I am stationed in Ohio and UFC 77 is in Cincy only like 50 mins away from me. I just bought tickets to the event through tixthis.com (cheap as heck surprisingly) if you live close to the base should check out some happening events through tixthis, its a sure way to make some good connections to learn something and get in to martial arts/fighting.

Chubrock
09-27-2007, 06:51 AM
Really man, get into a reputable gym. All the videos in the world don't stack up to a couple of sessions with a good instructor.

Detard
09-27-2007, 08:20 AM
I interpreted his inital post as wanting to get in the same shape that a fighter would be in without actually fighting? IE, Looking like a fighter. Correct me if i'm wrong.

mr.giggles
09-27-2007, 12:15 PM
I interpreted his inital post as wanting to get in the same shape that a fighter would be in without actually fighting? IE, Looking like a fighter. Correct me if i'm wrong.

I interpreted his question the same way, I don't believe he is looking to get into mma, just get the look and train like a fighter..

Imo I would sign up with a reputable Bjj/mma school in your area and train there, rather than by urself, then converse with actual fighters that could possibly show you there routine hands on...Btw. it's pretty tough to "roll" by yourself which is a pretty intense session of training..

TJ2389
10-01-2007, 02:59 PM
OK here let me specify, I want train to fight but at the point in time I have no money. I need to buy a car, pay off insurance, etc. So right now I am looking to get into fighting shape and pick up some basic moves along the way. I wont be able to get into a gym based on mma until this summer.

Edit: I posted some vids yesterday in the vids/pics section. Hitting my bag is really the only thing I can do right now/afford. I really need some advice because I kow I need. it. But if you can try to make it specific so I can really work on it.

Chris255
10-01-2007, 03:15 PM
I'm not a professional fighter, but I have been taking MMA at a local gym, for about 5 months now.

This helped me alot: http://www.ultimatejujitsu.com/learn-jujitsu-techniques/brazilian-jiu-jitsu-techniques.shtml
I looked off this and had a pretty good ground game, but training in a gym just took me up 3 levels.

Lifting
I made up my own routine, and made some good muscle gains. For a few weeks I lifted in the 3-5, then the 6-8, then the 8-12 ranges, worked pretty well, with a good diet of course, fullbody 3x week. I'll help you if needed.

Cardio
Ground work, bag, running, swimming, etc. I liked sled pulls, and tire flips.

BCorn
10-01-2007, 03:15 PM
check out Rossboxing.com. he has a couple of great books, and his site has a forum

Chubrock
10-01-2007, 03:34 PM
My opinion probably won't be too popular, but here it is. Until you have the money to train at a club, don't try to learn techniques on your own. It is FAR harder to reverse bad technique than it is to teach good technique to start with. I'd focus on your conditioning, both anaerobic and aerobic. Once you have the money I'd get into a gym that focuses on ground work. If you have the opportunity, obviously do both, but if you have to pick, I'd really recommend learning some ground work to begin with.

TJ2389
10-01-2007, 03:54 PM
I have a good background as far as the ground goes...I wrestled earlier on in HS and I still have those skills at my disposal.

Chubrock
10-01-2007, 04:28 PM
You're a step above everyone else then, as far as those coming in blind. I still recommend focusing on your conditioning until you get the funds together to find a solid gym.

TJ2389
10-01-2007, 04:44 PM
any specifc names of MMA gyms you can think of? Like chains of MMA places...would that be the correct term?

Chubrock
10-01-2007, 04:47 PM
MMA isn't really popular enough to be producing chain gyms so to speak. Your best bet is to check out sherdog.net and ask about places in your area.

markdk86
10-01-2007, 05:27 PM
If its a chain, gtfo of there.

mr.giggles
10-01-2007, 07:49 PM
MMA isn't really popular enough to be producing chain gyms so to speak. Your best bet is to check out sherdog.net and ask about places in your area.

Actually i believe mma is overpowering boxing as we speak, maybe thats just a rumor, but thats what i heard while watching Vs tonight...

Anyways, to the Op Like chub said, don't try to learn form on your own, just stick to conditioning IMO, and wait until you are in the gym...If you wrestled in highschool, stick to wrestling workouts because from what I've seen, they are pretty intense...Btw...I was always taught to hit in the head (top of the bag) and not strike low like your fighting a midget, invision fighting someone your own height :nod:

And just to add, your wrestling backround will help a lot for takedowns, and wrestlers have a good base, but no ground game...Most can't defend on their backs, they just lay there and take shots, this is why once a wrestler is on his back, it's quite easy to pass guard and get mount...

Chubrock
10-01-2007, 07:54 PM
It's actually much easier to take the back of a wrestler than to mount.

mr.giggles
10-01-2007, 08:02 PM
It's actually much easier to take the back of a wrestler than to mount.

I Never really noticed considering when i have side control I just transfer over to mount, and most never think to roll, so it doesn't open up for the rear naked...

Because in our gym we had a wave of newcomers pile in, and a few were retired HS wrestlers and after I got side control, they just layed there while I spun around them like a top..And to tell you the truth, I never applied a rear naked choke onto a wrestler, it's always guillotines because they tend to drive their head into you :scratch:

Chubrock
10-01-2007, 08:10 PM
Guillotines will come easily as well. If you're transitioning to the mount easily, it's more than likely because the wrestlers aren't comfortable grappling for a submission. Almost all wrestlers will revert back to their usual ways and give you their back quite easily. In wrestling, they're considered pinned if their back is on the mat, so most will do whatever they can to avoid that situation.

mr.giggles
10-01-2007, 08:16 PM
Guillotines will come easily as well. If you're transitioning to the mount easily, it's more than likely because the wrestlers aren't comfortable grappling for a submission. Almost all wrestlers will revert back to their usual ways and give you their back quite easily. In wrestling, they're considered pinned if their back is on the mat, so most will do whatever they can to avoid that situation.

Very true, never thought about it that way...Well next time I roll with a wrestler, i'll see if I can ninja jump on his back and choke his ass out.. :ninja:

TJ2389
10-01-2007, 09:08 PM
I find that my strong point is the double leg takedown. I use it all the time when I am wrestling my friends. The other day I was grappling with my friend (6'1'' 210) and I took him down, but like an idiot I forgot to keep my head up and he put me in a head lock. Luckily hes not experienced at all so he didnt attemp a guillotine choke out. I wiggled free and got a head/arm for pin. Thats what my main problem is, I lower my head on my double allowing my opponent to simply put their arm around my neck.