Sat: 65g 20%
Poly: 5g 2%
Mono: 3g 1%
Carbs: 169g 21%
Fiber: 19g 0%
Protein: 241g 33%
Alcohol: 0g 0%

Total Calories: 3006

This was my calorie/macro breakdown for yesterday, and I was just wondering if things like how much poly/mono fat or how many carbs I get is important. And I know fat is important, but do carbs also play a vital role?

Noxon
09-26-2007, 11:09 AM
Yes.

Starchy carbs that break down into glucose = glycogen and insulin = anabolism.

Lots of good reading on WBB, or just Google glycogen + insulin + strength + bodybuilding. Don't want to go too in depth since this is a very common topic and there are lots of good articles written by people more knowledgeable than myself.

Con
09-26-2007, 11:28 AM
Starchy carbs that break down into glucose = glycogen and insulin = anabolism.

Um, Excess calories = anabolism.

There are people that bulk on low carbs. As much as I hate to say it, I may be one of those people who do better with not going crazy with my carbs.

FighterInSnatch
09-26-2007, 12:20 PM
Low sodium, good carbs, good fats and lots of protein.

If you're cutting or bulking that will decide your total calories.

Noxon
09-26-2007, 01:35 PM
Um, Excess calories = anabolism.

There are people that bulk on low carbs. As much as I hate to say it, I may be one of those people who do better with not going crazy with my carbs.
Er, you are correct of course. I got myself in trouble by generalizing too much. Here, I'll clarify my point.

What I really meant, again without going too in depth, is that carbs prevent short term catabolism due to cortisol build up during and following intense weight training.

Timed carbs are important... Not necessarily mass quantities of carbs.

Built
09-26-2007, 02:05 PM
Low sodium isn't all that grand for your muscles.

Con
09-26-2007, 02:43 PM
What I really meant, again without going too in depth, is that carbs prevent short term catabolism due to cortisol build up during and following intense weight training.

Could you go into a bit more depth with this?

Noxon
09-26-2007, 05:48 PM
Could you go into a bit more depth with this?

http://www.thinkmuscle.com/ARTICLES/jalali/cortisol.htm

JSully
09-26-2007, 06:00 PM
or excess cals = fat gain..

it depends on how your body releases insulin. if your body doesn't release the insulin to carry the excess cals to your muscles then those excess cals get stored. myself and maryanne included (built) are both insulin resistant. we do better on low carbs and high fat or we blow up like a balloon. you can't just generalize. even when bulking, i've changed my diet so that i have SOME carbs in the am upon waking up and then all other carbs are strictly before and after my workout and they are at a minimum as well. i'm 265-270lbs and i take in roughly 4300 cals/day with only about 210g carbs on my workout days. non workout days are about 60g carbs and they are all trace carbs.