PDA

View Full Version : plyometrics

Roark
09-29-2007, 07:57 PM
does anyone have any "quick" plyometric routines i could run through(preferrably object/box/step free)

say in the morning, pre or post run

thanks

Sensei
09-30-2007, 02:21 PM
I think that random insertion of plyos into your training is probably going to do more harm than good... Just my opinion.

PowerForward
10-09-2007, 10:42 PM
Why would random plyo workouts hurt? I didn't think they break down your body much at all.

onemorerep
10-25-2007, 03:11 PM
id like to know a good plyo workout period

Dgro
10-28-2007, 04:34 PM
Plyo's have done me a world of good for my vertical jump and sprint speed, if that's the sort of thing you're into. Sensei probably means that if you're already doing a hardcore 3-4 day a week weight training routine, throwing in plyometrics might be too taxing (i.e. overtraining). But what do I know.

The Vertical Jump Bible is a great program. It costs $40 if you want to buy it (it's an e-book), otherwise...you know, you could pirate it. I bought it for myself but when my hard drive crashed...I guarantee you I am NOT paying for it again :mad:

ZenMonkey
10-29-2007, 04:33 PM
I think that random insertion of plyos into your training is probably going to do more harm than good... Just my opinion.

Why would plyos pre run be bad?

ZenMonkey
10-29-2007, 04:37 PM
I do a round of these before HIIT

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=fitness&category=cardio.activities&conitem=3014eeacbac30110VgnVCM20000012281eac____

Adam.
01-16-2008, 11:11 AM
You want to start with light plyos and move to progressively more demanding
ones over time (1-4 months, it's impossible to tell you b/c I don't know you).

Examples:

Light-
Single leg hops
Low Squat Ankle Hops
Alternating Lunge Jumps

Medium-
10yd sprints
Tuck Jumps

Heavy-
20-40yd sprints
Single leg bounds
Double Leg bounds
Single Leg Triple Jump
Depth Jumps
Drop Jumps
Jump Squats

Sensei
01-17-2008, 06:09 AM
Why would plyos pre run be bad?
Plyos pre-run may be fine - I said random insertion of plyos into your training could do more harm than good.

Most people throw them into their training without any planning at all, without any thought given to volume and intensity. A lot of kids end up with, at best, marginal gains that they could have gotten with any other poorly designed program or, at worst, sore knees or injury. Just my opinion - feel free to ignore it.

Adam.
01-17-2008, 07:28 AM
teenathlete--- sent me a pm which I can't respond to,

to respond:

lifting one and off for 5 years, semi-recently was a long drought, recently I have been kickign ass again.

Pretraining SVJ was: 19-21"
Trained at one point to 34-35"
Right now around: 30" since last testing, but I've put up a lot more weight lately so I am expecting some more gains from that.

Hoenstly I don't really do a lot of plyos for RVJ b/c my sport (volleyball) takes care of all the plyometric training I need. After a long maximal strength phase I'll just start playing againg and put another 10-20% on my SVJ for my RVJ.

teenathlete3030
01-19-2008, 04:31 PM
Impressive. Anyone who has increased their vertical by 15" is worth listening to, because generally the people who are naturally gifted have high verticals to begin with, and people who start low and get up there have done it through the right means.

Adam.
01-22-2008, 07:56 AM
Impressive. Anyone who has increased their vertical by 15" is worth listening to, because generally the people who are naturally gifted have high verticals to begin with, and people who start low and get up there have done it through the right means.

If you are interested, check out my forum. w w w . theverticalsummit . c o m