PDA

View Full Version : worth it to drink anything during workout?

Averof
09-30-2007, 02:52 PM
is it worth it to drink anything during your workout, like protein or gatorade ?

sometimes my workouts run to the 2 hour mark including stretching, and though i have a good pwo shake, i wonder if i'm missing out on anything by not drinking during my workout... i guess drinking my pwo shake b4 my 10min stretch at the end of the workout would be a good idea too

mikey4402
09-30-2007, 02:57 PM
i think the better question is why are your workouts 2 hours? is that strickly stretching and weights?

Averof
09-30-2007, 03:06 PM
well its 2 hours including around 30 min stretching/warmup total .. 10min before, followed by 5-10 min warmup.... then at the end of the workout, another 10min stretching.. so the weights really are just 1.5hrs

mikey4402
09-30-2007, 03:16 PM
well its 2 hours including around 30 min stretching/warmup total .. 10min before, followed by 5-10 min warmup.... then at the end of the workout, another 10min stretching.. so the weights really are just 1.5hrs

1.5 of weights is too much in my book. 50min to hour should be all it takes to get a good workout in. I cant tell if your over training or not without looking at your routine.

That said, to answer your original question, yeah, the cool down streach would be a good place to drink your PWO shake. i wouldnt try to take it around with you durning , just in case you spill it or whatever.

HahnB
09-30-2007, 04:07 PM
What are you doing to warm up that it takes you a half hour?

smalls
09-30-2007, 05:27 PM
I usually start drinking my shake and eating my hot tamales towards the end of my workouts, simply because I like it and find I dont get so bloated and can eat again sooner than if I just drank it once I finished.

I dont think an hour and a half workout is necassarily a bad thing, just depends on what your doing and why, most of my workouts take that long especially if the gym is busy. And warmup sets are good but preworkout stretching is a bit of a waste.

Unreal
09-30-2007, 05:31 PM
Also depends on your goals. If you are trying to add some mass then a dilute dex/protein shake can be good. If your cutting I rather save the calories for solid food.

Chris255
09-30-2007, 05:32 PM
is it worth it to drink anything during your workout, like protein or gatorade ?

sometimes my workouts run to the 2 hour mark including stretching, and though i have a good pwo shake, i wonder if i'm missing out on anything by not drinking during my workout... i guess drinking my pwo shake b4 my 10min stretch at the end of the workout would be a good idea too

Yeah, gatorade and powerade will put back what you lost. Water, electrolytes, etc.

And warmup sets are good but preworkout stretching is a bit of a waste.

This is a very touchy argument. It's proven that muscles contact at higher degrees, so pre-WO stretching is not a waste.

mikey4402
09-30-2007, 05:45 PM
Yeah, gatorade and powerade will put back what you lost. Water, electrolytes, etc.

blah...

This is a very touchy argument. It's proven that muscles contact at higher degrees, so pre-WO stretching is not a waste.

actualy i think you have that backwords. Its higher contracton rates with unstreched muscles.

However stretching is defently not a waste

Chris255
09-30-2007, 05:56 PM
blah...

actualy i think you have that backwords. Its higher contracton rates with unstreched muscles.

However stretching is defently not a waste

blah....what? They have science to prove this.

Actually, I had it right.

"Did you know that muscles contact harder and faster the higher their temperature?"

-Louis Simmons; "Things You Should Know" (Jun-06)

mikey4402
09-30-2007, 05:59 PM
blah....what? They have science to prove this.

Actually, I had it right.

"Did you know that muscles contact harder and faster the higher their temperature?"

-Louis Simmons; "Things You Should Know" (Jun-06)

well thats all the proof i need

mikey4402
09-30-2007, 06:09 PM
Stretching inhibits the golgi tendon reflex, which assist in explosive contraction after extension of the muscle

Healthy muscles remain at optimum contraction length in a resting position. When you stretch them, you cause them to go into a suboptimal contraction length, hence weakening the fibers (temporarily).

Good link about warm ups
http://www.johnberardi.com/updates/oct252002/na_warmup.htm

Chubrock
09-30-2007, 06:54 PM
I drink Gatorade during the workout. My workouts usually last 1.5hrs. All this bull**** about anything over an hour being too much is just dumb.

MMEI
09-30-2007, 07:35 PM
Studies show test levels drop, and cortisol increases between 60 and 75 minutes after the beginning of a workout. Its just another one of those 'little things' that may not mean all that much in the end.

smalls
09-30-2007, 07:35 PM

It's really not that touchy. There are no up to date studies that show stretching to be statistically better (better meaning, increasing output in any way or decreasing chance of injury in any way) than not stretching. And yes your muscles should be warm when doing your worksets. That's why I advocated warm up sets, which I believe are much better than arbitrarily stretching a muscle.

I would however suggest stretching after a workout, as the poster obviously does.

Chubrock
09-30-2007, 09:49 PM
Studies show test levels drop, and cortisol increases between 60 and 75 minutes after the beginning of a workout. Its just another one of those 'little things' that may not mean all that much in the end.

What constitutes the beginning of a workout? Is it during the time I spend stretching? How about when I jogged from my car door to the entrance to the gym; is that the beginning of my workout? People get WAY too wrapped up in the minute details. Cortisol levels increase a bit after 75 minutes of working out...who the hell cares?

j03
10-01-2007, 08:25 AM
Drink water...water...water during your workout. Just remember you lose a quart of water every hour.... water is essential.

Averof
10-01-2007, 08:58 PM
thanks for the comments

i'm not worried about my training though, im pretty confident its solid..

was just curious about the drink during workout thing..from what i gather, i guess it doesn't really make much difference? ie going from gatorade to water is not going to do much for me..

what about the comment,

"If you are trying to add some mass then a dilute dex/protein shake can be good. If your cutting I rather save the calories for solid food."

anyone else got anything to say about that?

i am actually trying to put a few more pounds on... and if this is the case, would nitrean be good to drink? i know its got a bunch of different kinds of protein in it that are absorbed at different rates, so im figuring a lot of it would go to waste if its absorbed after the workout rather than during.... i got a good pwo shake waiting anyway..

smalls
10-02-2007, 01:22 AM
It wouldnt be a bad idea (provided you have no digestive issues like some people do when they take in calories during their training, I have no problems though) but it's not going to be THE difference. Total calories are what are really going to matter.

Guido
10-02-2007, 08:46 AM
I generally take a water/BCAA mixture with me to the gym and start sipping on it while I'm there. When I started doing that I noticed that it kept my energy levels up for longer in the gym. It tastes like orange gatorade so is pretty refreshing, as well.