PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift

Get Strong
10-02-2007, 02:17 PM
As you can see my deadlift is my weak area. It is actually almost an embarassment. Deadlifting is something I didnt really do much of when I was younger.

Is there any special technique I can use to dramatically increase my deadlift in a short amount of time? Can there be a weak spot or a stick point in deadlifting like there is when you bench?

RedSpikeyThing
10-02-2007, 02:32 PM
absoloutely there is a sticking point. Get someone to watch you deadlift and see where you stall. Generally, beating on your hamstrings and pulling from a platform will help your deadlift a lot.

Just for the sake of argument, you should have someone check the depth on your squats to make sure are hitting at least parallel.

Get Strong
10-02-2007, 02:40 PM
absoloutely there is a sticking point. Get someone to watch you deadlift and see where you stall. Generally, beating on your hamstrings and pulling from a platform will help your deadlift a lot.

Just for the sake of argument, you should have someone check the depth on your squats to make sure are hitting at least parallel.

I think I am hittin parralel but I will make sure to check next time.

People have been telling me that the overuse of using a weight belt when training can effect the strength in your back, but then there are some people that told me a weight belt really doesnt effect it. When I squat I always use a weight belt, should I quit using one when I squat?

RedSpikeyThing
10-02-2007, 02:42 PM
I generally use a belt for anything heavier than ~85% of my max, or if I'm going to be going for an RM where my form may crap out on the last rep or two.

-Superman-
10-02-2007, 03:03 PM
As you can see my deadlift is my weak area. It is actually almost an embarassment. Deadlifting is something I didnt really do much of when I was younger.

Is there any special technique I can use to dramatically increase my deadlift in a short amount of time? Can there be a weak spot or a stick point in deadlifting like there is when you bench?

Yeah, do alternating pyramids. I have averaged 5-10lbs a week for the past year and I am still soaring. Have a day of volume. Then have a day of maxes. Put out 100% effort on both days. By that I mean if you are doing volume, don't just do 10 reps and quit if you got more. If you got more, then you shouldn't have been using such a light weight. On maxes, the first set is like 3-5 reps. Then increase 10-20lbs from there on until you can't lift anymore or it becomes dangerous. I don't use a belt and I am no expert. I am just an ex-skinny dude that has gotten real results.

:D

redFury
10-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Usually a sluggish deadlift has to do one or more of 3 things:
1. Poor form
2. Weak erectors, back
3. weak hammies, legs

You squat more than I do, yet I can deadlift 150lbs more. I would guess it lies in your form and back strength. Get someone to watch your deadlifts, or even better film it and throw it on here for us to dissect. We will definitely get you up to snuff :thumbup:

Detard
10-02-2007, 04:32 PM
Film yourself and have a look at your form. Even minor changes can add pounds to your lifts. Everything takes time. As you said, you didn't deadlift much back in your younger days. But that doesnt mean you've ****ed yourself over and are destined to have weak deadlift (in comparison to your other lifts). Just keep at it and the weight willcome.

Stumprrp
10-04-2007, 07:56 AM
a belt doesnt take away from your back being worked, it keeps your abs tight and gives you something to push against, helping you lift more weight.

try some speed pulls off blocks to generate that speed at the bottom, and if you still find yourself sticking, work that point in a power rack, your accessory work should be squatting variations and hamstring work

Get Strong
10-04-2007, 08:10 AM
a belt doesnt take away from your back being worked, it keeps your abs tight and gives you something to push against, helping you lift more weight.

try some speed pulls off blocks to generate that speed at the bottom, and if you still find yourself sticking, work that point in a power rack, your accessory work should be squatting variations and hamstring work

Ya think I should start doing my squats A2G? I am beginning to think that maybe my glutes are the weak muscle.

RhodeHouse
10-04-2007, 08:35 AM
My guess is your hips are weak. Does your ass shoot up first, then you use all back to get it to lockout?

Your upper back maybe weak as well, depending on where you have trouble.

Video is key. And throw a shot of your girlfriend in there. I'll be more likely to help you out. j/k

Get Strong
10-04-2007, 06:28 PM
I wont be able to get a video until late october cause all my video equipment is at my house in mcclure.

I have no trouble locking out, its right when I lift the bar off the ground I just cant quite get mey knees to straighten.

RhodeHouse
10-04-2007, 09:33 PM
You don't want your knees to go straight until you're near/halfway to lockout

Get Strong
10-05-2007, 02:57 AM
You don't want your knees to go straight until you're near/halfway to lockout

So its my form?

Maybe I need to get lower? Like a A2G squat.

smokinHawk
10-05-2007, 06:05 AM
if your squat is higher then your dead lift, i think with a few months training deadlifts every week you will overcome it.
squating A2G will help on your deads too.

Anthony
10-05-2007, 07:14 AM
So its my form?

Maybe I need to get lower? Like a A2G squat.

I'd take a guess and say your form is off on squat and deadlift. Grab some vids and post them up.

In the meantime, put your shoulder blade directly over the bar before you pull, don't yank, keep the bar against your shin/leg at all times, and keep your hip/shoulder moving at the same pace until the bar passes your knee, then straighten out.

Get Strong
10-08-2007, 05:30 PM
I did my first squat routine today doing them A2G.

I wussed out at 285 and my hammys were burnin like hell after I did my burnout set, so I think I found my problem squating, hopefully it will complement my deadlift.