PDA

View Full Version : Cutting weight but keeping strength.

Get Strong
10-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Is there a way to cut your weight but still maintain the strength you have?

My one buddy used to be a powerlifter now he is trying to cut up and look more like a body builder but he said he is losing a lot of strength that he used to have since his diet is different.

Torrok
10-03-2007, 06:50 PM
hmm, the most i could think of would be eating lots of protein, just solid lean protein. skinless, boneless chicken, low fat yogurt, skim milk, whey protein, turkey, eggs. and eat lots of fruits, great for energy.

RhodeHouse
10-03-2007, 09:44 PM
It's possible, but really hard to do. If his training style has changed from PLing to more of a BBing type, there's the answer why he's losing strength. It also depends on how fast he loses the weight. If he wants to look ghey, he shouldn't worry about his strength.

Here's a good example for all you guys who think extra lbs, even if it's fat, doesn't help you lift more weight. Here's a very simple equation:

MASS moves MASS - no if's, and's, or but's about it. GFH!

ray34iyf
10-03-2007, 09:52 PM
How about cutting weight, gaining muscle, and making strength gains that are comparable to being on a bulk? UD 2.0 FTW! :ninja:

Unreal
10-04-2007, 07:15 AM
This year I've gone from 250 to 211 and my bench, shoulder press, and upper body stuff has all gone up. My squats are about the same, and my dead lift is down a tad, but that comes with the game of losing weight. I'm sure a lot of it is just from lower energy from restricted calories and once I begin eating again it will come right back.

Lift short, heavy and intense sets and keep protein and diet in check. Don't lose weight too fast. 1lb a week is good.

Con
10-04-2007, 07:56 AM
Hey unreal, after you finish the cut, are you thinking of another cycle?

RhodeHouse
10-04-2007, 08:42 AM
How about cutting weight, gaining muscle, and making strength gains that are comparable to being on a bulk? UD 2.0 FTW! :ninja:

Sorry dude, when you lose any considerable amount of weight, you're not gonna gain strength and muscle. I know it's in all the magazines, but it doesn't work that way.

You're probably gaining strength because you're so young. Ah, to be young again. Gains come easy when you're young. I'm not taking anything away from you or your work ethic.

ray34iyf
10-04-2007, 08:47 AM
I believe there was a guy on here that was in his 50's who used UD 2.0 and leaned out ALOT and still gained strength. Granted, UD 2.0 is for those who are already 15% or below. It's primarily geared towards those who are looking to get ultra lean.

Unholy
10-04-2007, 08:53 AM
Sorry dude, when you lose any considerable amount of weight, you're not gonna gain strength and muscle. I know it's in all the magazines, but it doesn't work that way.

You're probably gaining strength because you're so young. Ah, to be young again. Gains come easy when you're young. I'm not taking anything away from you or your work ethic.

You can definitely lose fat and gain strength. For the most part strength is neural. Of coarse a 307lb powerlifter will lift more then a 148lb powerlifter. Personally I dropped 83lbs in about a year and all my lifts went up a ton. As Rhodehouse said though, I am young so it helps. Losing weight isn't all that bad even as a powerlifter. Dropping a weight class and keeping your lifts on par could be a huge advantage.

Con
10-04-2007, 02:38 PM

So when you cut to 10%, how much strength loss are you expecting?

RhodeHouse
10-04-2007, 02:56 PM
There's no way I'll go down to 10%. I've spent 14 years growing to be 315lbs. I won't waste that to be 10%. No way.

I would expect to lose a considerable amount of strength, though. At 6'4", my leverages are not good, so any extra size I carry helps me a lot. I would venture to guess that the 20lbs I've gained will give me about 75-100lbs on my squat.