PDA

View Full Version : Are high GI carbs still needed in Post-workout meals?

fixationdarknes
10-03-2007, 04:26 PM
So, let's say I have 80 grams of sugar in my Pre-Post Workout Shake...after drinking that, do I still need to have high GI carbs in the following post-workout meals that are 30-60 minutes after my workout?

Con
10-03-2007, 04:33 PM
Still need for what?

Unholy
10-03-2007, 04:41 PM
So, let's say I have 80 grams of sugar in my Pre-Post Workout Shake...after drinking that, do I still need to have high GI carbs in the following post-workout meals that are 30-60 minutes after my workout?

I think you are putting way too much unneeded effort into minute details. Just eat a lot, lift heavy, and sleep.

smalls
10-03-2007, 05:17 PM
No they are not needed. Calories are what's needed. Make sure your total cals for the day are where they need to be to attain your goals. I usually have chicken or beef and rice+milk for my next meal.

fixationdarknes
10-03-2007, 06:10 PM
I understand the big picture here, but I'm just curious as to when I should have high GI carbs. Only in my pre/post workout shake? Or in my following meals as well? I'm just trying to intake optimal nutrition...is there anything wrong with that? I find it fun.

smalls
10-04-2007, 12:30 AM
As much as I realize these things dont matter I still tend to think about them and I actually kind of like it as well. I would just have your shake and then have a hi carb hi protein "normal" meal afterwords. But again, nothing is going to matter if total cals arent there.

fixationdarknes
10-04-2007, 01:25 AM
Alright thanks. So do you think around 100 grams of high GI carbs from my workout shake and post-workout meals combined would be adequate?

And my total cals are there. Fitday ftw =)

Unreal
10-04-2007, 07:12 AM
Sounds good to me. My normal prework out is 1/2 cup oats with a scoop of nitrean mixed in. Works great for me. Post work out just depends, either the same as preworkout or meat+veggies.

Con
10-04-2007, 02:40 PM
Sounds good to me. My normal prework out is 1/2 cup oats with a scoop of nitrean mixed in. Works great for me. Post work out just depends, either the same as preworkout or meat+veggies.

Probably wont matter since you had a decent Pre-Wo meal, but isnt there some disadvantage to having veggies around working out?

I doubt it will make a difference, but your post jogged my memory.

Outshine
10-04-2007, 03:57 PM
Probably wont matter since you had a decent Pre-Wo meal, but isnt there some disadvantage to having veggies around working out?

I doubt it will make a difference, but your post jogged my memory.

Would possibly have something to do with the fiber (from the vegetables) slowing things down.

I go with a low GI carb/protein meal before my workout, high HI/protein meal immediately after my workout, and a low GI/protein meal about 1-2 hours after that.

Con
10-04-2007, 04:43 PM
Since GI never seemed very important in the grand scheme of things, I never learned what high or low GI meant, nor what foods would be considered which.

Do you have a link outshine?

Outshine
10-04-2007, 05:35 PM
Since GI never seemed very important in the grand scheme of things, I never learned what high or low GI meant, nor what foods would be considered which.

GI (glycemic index) basically refers to the speed at which a carb will digest and thus its effect on our blood glucose levels.

A fast digesting carb is high GI (sugar, white bread, typical junky foods, etc.), and a slow digesting carb is low GI (oats, beans, vegetables, etc.).

Search Google for "glycemic index" and you'll find lists of which are high/low.

smalls
10-05-2007, 02:36 AM

There are lots of links, lots of studies etc. But none of them are going to prove that you put on more muscle and/or less fat when trying to optimize GI. I agree with you, at the end of the day it's certainly not going to be THE difference in your results. But if you ate all Hi GI carbs I think you would have quite a time getting in your fiber, etc.