PDA

View Full Version : Calcium in Milk Causes Kidney Stones?

Bako Lifter
10-03-2007, 05:09 PM
If you drink it in excessive amounts?

My chem teacher told me that it the calcium crystalizes in your kidneys...

Getting huge isn't worth passing stones... haha.

So is this true, or is it like super rare?

I go through a few gallons a week.

malkore
10-05-2007, 10:55 AM
never heard that. I can't sleep at night without a pint of skim milk, never had a single kidney issue.

vdizenzo
10-05-2007, 12:17 PM
Anything is worth getting huge!

Guido
10-05-2007, 12:49 PM
That is completely untrue Bako.

http://www.kidney.org/ATOZ/atozItem.cfm?id=41
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/extract/329/7/508

Coe, F., Parks, J., Webb, D., Stone-forming potential of milk or calcium-fortified orange juice in idiopathic hypercalciuric adults. Kidney Int. 1992 (1), 139-142.

If it were true, i'd have passed massive kidney stones many times by now with how much milk I drink!

Bako Lifter
10-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Thank you very much Guido :).

Led Head
10-05-2007, 07:43 PM
If you drink it in excessive amounts?

My chem teacher told me that it the calcium crystalizes in your kidneys...

Getting huge isn't worth passing stones... haha.

So is this true, or is it like super rare?

I go through a few gallons a week.

that is true, my chem teacher told me the same, but he said drinking/having too much calcium in your diet only becomes an issue when your in your 40's and 50's when your metabolism slows down, and when your more susceptable to them, so in my opinion your fine drinking as much as your do, but just watch out when you hit your 40's and 50's

Guitar90
10-06-2007, 05:27 PM
that is true, my chem teacher told me the same, but he said drinking/having too much calcium in your diet only becomes an issue when your in your 40's and 50's when your metabolism slows down, and when your more susceptable to them, so in my opinion your fine drinking as much as your do, but just watch out when you hit your 40's and 50's

Yeah, I was told the same at my first year of college.

My chem teacher said that you should slowly stop drinking gallons and gallons of week in your late twenties, and slowly drop your milk/calcium intake as you get older and your metabolism drops, because like most things if you take a sudden decline in something your body's really used to, its gonna have some adverse effect.