PDA

View Full Version : Age brackets and expected weights....

Invain
10-04-2007, 07:10 PM
I'm increasingly becoming more interested in someday competing in a powerlifting competition, but I've been wondering exactly what I should expect if I did one in the next year or two.

First off, are there any real age groups after a certain point? I'm 19 now, and will probably be 20 before I actually try an event. Is it all just done by weight after 18 years old?

If I were to enter a decent competiton, what should I expect for my weight class? I'm thinking about being anywhere betwen 180 - 210. I know I'm not necessarily weak, but I'd rather not go to a competiton and be completely embarrased. What are some average bench, deadlift, and squat numbers for say guys in a 190'sh pound weight class?

Chubrock
10-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Depends on what federation you lift in. Is it an equipped fed or a raw fed, a tested fed or amatuer fed etc etc?

Adam
10-04-2007, 07:30 PM
19 to 23 is usally junior
23-40 is usually open

Invain
10-04-2007, 10:58 PM
Depends on what federation you lift in. Is it an equipped fed or a raw fed, a tested fed or amatuer fed etc etc?

Hmmm... I didn't think of any of that.

If I did compete it'd only be in squat and deadlift probably, my bench blows.

I'm thinking probably an amateur raw competiton for my first. Maybe down the road if I like it I'll try equipped.

smokinHawk
10-05-2007, 06:15 AM
if you compete in the raw division your bench is respectable, squat, not that great, but its an atf squat so you might be able to get it up depending on the fed, or just do something like nasa, uspl or IPF were they almost do an atf squat.
if your at 190 you could also lose 9 lbs of water weight then compete at the 181lb class which your numbers would be pretty respectable.

daved931
10-05-2007, 07:15 AM
Typically there push-pull meets (bench, DL), full meets (bench, DL, squat) and bench only meets. Never heard of a bench-squat.

The age and weight classifications differ from federation to federation. Open usually runs from 23-25 up into the 30s. Anyone can compete in the open class, but if you're 18 it makes more sense to compete in a junior class where you most likely be more competitive. The same is true for old people competing in a master's class.

redFury
10-05-2007, 09:29 AM
I wouldn't discount your bench, assuming you're still doing 300x1. Most people can do a ton on squat and deadlift, and you may find that even at a raw meet it is your best event.

Guido
10-05-2007, 09:55 AM
19 to 23 is usally junior
23-40 is usually openMost actually have teen classes that run up to 19 years old. Open can be any age, hence why it's called "open". Junior class is usually 20-23 or even up to age 25. Submaster classes generally start at 33 or 35, then Masters classes start at 40. If you go to college, some feds also have collegiate classes and there are special collegitate meets. USAPL runs a collegiate nationals that some guys from my team compete in.

Guido
10-05-2007, 09:59 AM
BTW, as for weight classes you would either fall in the 181 class if you dropped some weight, or you would most likely compete in the 198 class. After that is the 220 class, which I compete in.

The weights that guys are putting up will vary greatly by meet. Local meets will obviously have fewer elite level lifters. State level meets might have a few more. National or World level meets will have lots of very strong lifters, and most of the time you have to qualify for those meets anyway. Also, it will vary by whether you are competing in a raw meet or fed or one that allows assistance gear.

Invain
10-05-2007, 10:01 AM
if you compete in the raw division your bench is respectable, squat, not that great, but its an atf squat so you might be able to get it up depending on the fed, or just do something like nasa, uspl or IPF were they almost do an atf squat.
if your at 190 you could also lose 9 lbs of water weight then compete at the 181lb class which your numbers would be pretty respectable.

Awww man :( I figured I'd have the best chances with my squat. My max is more than 350 now on atf, just havn't updated it, but I do stress that that's a full atf. I haven't done a normal parallel squat in a long time but I'm assuming it's between 400 - 500. I remember doing 400 a year or more ago before I started atf, but maybe I'm thinking crazy.

Invain
10-05-2007, 10:03 AM
How much are decent squat and bench suits btw? If I did like competing and wanted to try gear, I'm curious as to how much I'd have to spend.

Guido
10-05-2007, 10:21 AM
Awww man :( I figured I'd have the best chances with my squat. My max is more than 350 now on atf, just havn't updated it, but I do stress that that's a full atf. I haven't done a normal parallel squat in a long time but I'm assuming it's between 400 - 500. I remember doing 400 a year or more ago before I started atf, but maybe I'm thinking crazy.If you are going to true parallel it's not going to be that much more than your ATF squat. If your ATF is 350 then your max parallel is probably right around 400.

Guido
10-05-2007, 10:24 AM
How much are decent squat and bench suits btw? If I did like competing and wanted to try gear, I'm curious as to how much I'd have to spend.A basic single-ply polyester bench shirt will run you $50-100. A single-ply polyester squat suit will run anywhere from $80 for an older model up to $200 for a pretty nice one.

Invain
10-09-2007, 07:12 PM
How long's it take most people to get used to lifting with a suit? As in, a few weeks till you're comfortable, or does it take a long time.

I'm just curious if people who have never used gear before try it a few times and their lifts magically go up like 50 lbs.

I'd still really like to stay raw though.

redFury
10-09-2007, 08:03 PM
How long's it take most people to get used to lifting with a suit? As in, a few weeks till you're comfortable, or does it take a long time.

I'm just curious if people who have never used gear before try it a few times and their lifts magically go up like 50 lbs.

I'd still really like to stay raw though.

Definitely takes a ton of practice... its not magic at all. I would think to even be ready for a competition it would take several months to learn a shirt or suit.

drew
10-10-2007, 07:00 AM
I would start competing immediately. Find a bench meet or a push/pull and enter. Or just go and watch. You can learn so much just by being there and you can meet a lot of strong people who can help you.

A bench shirt isn't magic, you need to learn how to use it. Find a good single-ply like a RageX (Inzer) and get some good training partners. Ask any shirt questions in the PL forum and you will definitely get some help. Don't buy a crap shirt like a Blast and don't go 2-ply or anything like that. Keep working and keep asking questions.

Guido
10-10-2007, 09:54 AM
I would start competing immediately. Find a bench meet or a push/pull and enter. Or just go and watch. You can learn so much just by being there and you can meet a lot of strong people who can help you.

A bench shirt isn't magic, you need to learn how to use it. Find a good single-ply like a RageX (Inzer) and get some good training partners. Ask any shirt questions in the PL forum and you will definitely get some help. Don't buy a crap shirt like a Blast and don't go 2-ply or anything like that. Keep working and keep asking questions.You can learn a deadlift suit in a couple weeks. A bench shirt and squat suit are harder to learn, and much harder to master. To really get good in a bench shirt or squat suit will take at least a couple months of practice.