PDA

View Full Version : Designing First Routine

Blacksmith
10-06-2007, 11:09 AM
I'm relatively new to powerlifting, I'm going to join the powerlifting team around may, but right now I am in a strength training class. I already have my percent programs for Bench, Squat, Deadlift, Clean. I have to design a routine to start Monday. The problem I am having is that I have to do everything twice a week so I'm not sure how quite to set that up. I was thinking something like:

Mon-Bench(one or two assistance exercises)
Squat(one or two assistance exercises)

Tue-Clean(one or two assistance exercises)
Deadlift(one or two assistance exercises)

Wed- Anything that I think should be in my routine but I don't have time for any other workout

Thur-Same as Monday except different assistance exercises

Fri-Same as Tuesday but with different assistance exercises

Now I'm not sure how good this plan is which is why I'm asking for advice. Also if this is good enough, I do still need help on choosing the assistance exercises.

Thanks in advance for any help.

redFury
10-06-2007, 08:20 PM
I might suggest WBB1,2,3 and BGB for a program... Squatting, benching, and deadlifting heavy twice a week is not a great idea for most because of overtraining.

prizeoasis
10-06-2007, 08:28 PM
I might suggest WBB1,2,3 and BGB for a program... Squatting, benching, and deadlifting heavy twice a week is not a great idea for most because of overtraining.

yea, tell that to westsiders.

and what exactly do any of the WBB or BGB programs have to do with powerlifting? hint, it starts with N and ends with OTHING

Unholy
10-06-2007, 08:34 PM
I agree with Prize even though he sounds like a Douche, try a 5x5 routine or something like westside.

Are you just new to PLing op? Or to weightlifting in general. If the later then Red might be right.

Blacksmith
10-06-2007, 09:35 PM
I'm not new to weightlifting at all just powerlifting

Mike G
10-06-2007, 10:11 PM
yea, tell that to westsiders.

and what exactly do any of the WBB or BGB programs have to do with powerlifting? hint, it starts with N and ends with OTHING

Considering Westside only has one ME day a week for bench and squat/deadlift, I don't think he needs to tell them. As for the rest, I agree.

OP, read about Westside. It would work well with your shedule and you could still have a "do whatever you want" day. Even if you like your percentage setup, having a speed day could be beneficial. Repetition days are another thought.

Blacksmith
10-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Considering Westside only has one ME day a week for bench and squat/deadlift, I don't think he needs to tell them. As for the rest, I agree.

OP, read about Westside. It would work well with your shedule and you could still have a "do whatever you want" day. Even if you like your percentage setup, having a speed day could be beneficial. Repetition days are another thought.

So can I still do everything twice a week?

I'm on a percent program and what it does is something like this I'll have to look at it agian but im pretty sure it starts out at %77 raises %4, raises %4 then drops %4 then raises %4 raises %4 then drops %4 and goes on in that pattern

Mike G
10-07-2007, 12:16 PM
A Westside routine would have one ME day and one Speed day, or some variation. Looking at your percentage guidelines, Westside probably wouldn't be the best option. Where did you get the workout? Go to elitefts, or the westside site, both have a ton of articles that would clear up almost any question. If you're set on the percentage set up you have, your outline above would be fine. Just watch for burnout. I'm not a fan of percentage workouts, but they work great for a lot of people.

Blacksmith
10-07-2007, 06:30 PM
A Westside routine would have one ME day and one Speed day, or some variation. Looking at your percentage guidelines, Westside probably wouldn't be the best option. Where did you get the workout? Go to elitefts, or the westside site, both have a ton of articles that would clear up almost any question. If you're set on the percentage set up you have, your outline above would be fine. Just watch for burnout. I'm not a fan of percentage workouts, but they work great for a lot of people.

I got my percent program from my teacher I'm pretty sure it was designed by the powerlifting coach. It's suppose to be the most used and most successful program that the school has used. What kind of things do I need to watch for to make sure I'm not overtraining? This routine is for 4 weeks, then I'll get to completely make my own routine.

Mike G
10-07-2007, 06:40 PM
Four weeks? What is the point of that? In four weeks following that program you would just be working up close to your current maxes. If you have a powerlifting coach, talk to him. The percentage program might work great for you for a longer time. The reason I have never liked them is because the weights are set for each workout. On days I was feeling good I would have to stop short, days when I wasn't I wouldn't hit my lifts. Just my .02, again, I know people who this type of program worked great for.

The biggest thing for overtraining, for me, is if my weights stop going up. When that happens, time to take a rest. If my weights keep going up and I don't feel beat up, good to go.

RhodeHouse
10-07-2007, 07:53 PM
Go to EliteFTS.com and read Westside for Skinny Bastards 3 (WS4SB3) That is what you should follow. The percent plan that you outlined is not good at all.