PDA

View Full Version : How bad does my back suck?

berfles
10-07-2007, 10:26 PM
Just curious, I didn't do much back work at all for awhile, and no deadlifts for the longest time because I kept pulling a muscle somehow doing other things. My arms and shoulders are better than they were before, but my back is probably crap. I'll try to find a comparison picture some time, but for now this is all I have. Probably not the best lighting either.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/back1.jpg

I think my lower back needs the most work. That's probably from lack of deadlifts. I also know I'm still pretty skinny, still trying to gain some more weight. I don't usually post pictures of myself so please be kind :)

zela
10-07-2007, 10:51 PM
Looks pretty damn good to me. I don't know much about lower backs and I ouldn't say anything if you didn't mention your lower back, but your upper back looks like it packs some mass, coming from a skinny guy who wishes he could look like that.

Cards
10-07-2007, 10:57 PM
yea man it's not as bad as you think, impressive actually.

Lones Green
10-08-2007, 07:38 AM
dude its not bad at all, nice form. eat, eat, eat, deadlift, sleep.

MPB
10-08-2007, 08:03 AM
Very proportional, doesn't look bad at all so don't worry about it.

You could work on erector spinae more ;)

hulkinout
10-08-2007, 08:37 AM
Based on the title of the thread, I thought "uh oh...", but you have nice separation top to bottom and decent sweep (practice spreading your lats a little more, they'll pull out wider than you think). Good biceps too.

iLikeMilk
10-09-2007, 05:15 PM
i think hes just trolling for compliments

berfles
10-09-2007, 05:34 PM

Hahaha, try again.

Thanks to the others, hopefully doing deadlifts again will help the lower back.

j_man_honda
10-09-2007, 06:34 PM

+1...No offense berfles, but i agree... Either way youre very proportional bro. Lookin' great

berfles
10-09-2007, 07:32 PM
I'm not "trolling" anything. I always see myself as being thin and not having any mass, and that coupled with the fact that I didn't do any back work for so long led me to believe that my back was probably lagging pretty badly. I don't know what to look for in terms of "pleasing muscles", I just know when I get bigger.

iLikeMilk
10-09-2007, 08:13 PM
if u wana see skinny ill post a picture of myself.

now troll no more, u are in good shape.

joelhall
10-09-2007, 08:57 PM
looks good, but yeah you do need to balance ou the mass on the lower. doing deadlifts will help that thick look on the upper too.

good biceps and delts development though mate, and the symmetry aint bad either:)

berfles
10-09-2007, 09:33 PM
looks good, but yeah you do need to balance ou the mass on the lower. doing deadlifts will help that thick look on the upper too.

good biceps and delts development though mate, and the symmetry aint bad either:)

Thanks, my biceps and shoulder came a pretty long way since my last back picture that I took. I was surprised. My left arm used to be MUCH smaller than my right, but it's finally catching up I think.

berfles
10-13-2007, 10:05 PM
Here is an old picture from about 2.5 years ago, but I'd say I have less than 2 years of working out between the two images because I took breaks.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/back.gif

syntekz
10-13-2007, 10:26 PM
You could bring your traps up a bit by doing some shrug work.

hulkinout
10-13-2007, 10:40 PM
Here is an old picture from about 2.5 years ago, but I'd say I have less than 2 years of working out between the two images because I took breaks.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/back.gif

WHOA! Major hulk-out back growth...you realize they're re-making <i>The Incredible Hulk</i> movie. Go slap some green paint on and audition! ;-)

Seriously, B, that's one impressive and startling transformation. I wish I had charted my transformation. When I started I never even thought of taking photos of my body cause I was so embarrassed about it.

And I can identify about always seeing yourself as skinny. I still see myself as not big enough most of the time, even though many people said i was plenty big at 175, 200, then 225. I guess when you grow up with that stigma, it's hard to get rid of it.

You're doing great, bro.

berfles
10-13-2007, 11:24 PM
WHOA! Major hulk-out back growth...you realize they're re-making <i>The Incredible Hulk</i> movie. Go slap some green paint on and audition! ;-)

Seriously, B, that's one impressive and startling transformation. I wish I had charted my transformation. When I started I never even thought of taking photos of my body cause I was so embarrassed about it.

And I can identify about always seeing yourself as skinny. I still see myself as not big enough most of the time, even though many people said i was plenty big at 175, 200, then 225. I guess when you grow up with that stigma, it's hard to get rid of it.

You're doing great, bro.

Haha, that made me laugh :) I know what you mean about being embarrassed to take the pictures, when I first took my very first ones I was like "What the hell, I'm not THAT skinny". For awhile I was taking some every month but then I stopped for a long time.

Good to know I'm not the only one who thinks he's tiny all the time either, my mom always rolls her eyes when I say "I wish I had muscles". I just have an image in my mind of what I'd like to look like and I never think I've even close when I see myself.

But thanks man, it gives me confidence to see someone as huge as yourself compliment me :)

I'll also try to get shrugs into my routine, I've never done any direct trap work. I'll throw them in there somewhere.

hulkinout
10-13-2007, 11:50 PM
Haha, that made me laugh :) I know what you mean about being embarrassed to take the pictures, when I first took my very first ones I was like "What the hell, I'm not THAT skinny". For awhile I was taking some every month but then I stopped for a long time.

Good to know I'm not the only one who thinks he's tiny all the time either, my mom always rolls her eyes when I say "I wish I had muscles". I just have an image in my mind of what I'd like to look like and I never think I've even close when I see myself.

But thanks man, it gives me confidence to see someone as huge as yourself compliment me :)

I'll also try to get shrugs into my routine, I've never done any direct trap work. I'll throw them in there somewhere.

I think many of here at WBB have overly harsh perceptions of ourselves. I've actually worked with a shrink about it to help me deal with it, but I'm still pushing for 250 and beyond. Oh well.

And thank YOU for using the word "huge" in reference to me. You just made my day, thank you.

And yes, shrugs are good, but deadlifts and rack-pulls are WAY better...

mikey4402
10-14-2007, 12:46 AM
I think you are just trolling for complements with a thread title of
How bad does my back suck?

your back doesnt look bad. However you could bring up the traps a little and your lats could always be wider. Good work thus far!

berfles
10-14-2007, 06:11 PM
I think many of here at WBB have overly harsh perceptions of ourselves. I've actually worked with a shrink about it to help me deal with it, but I'm still pushing for 250 and beyond. Oh well.

And thank YOU for using the word "huge" in reference to me. You just made my day, thank you.

And yes, shrugs are good, but deadlifts and rack-pulls are WAY better...

No problem :)

I still dead lift and I think I may give rowing a shot again, neevr tried rack-pulls so I may look into those as well.

I think you are just trolling for complements with a thread title of

your back doesnt look bad. However you could bring up the traps a little and your lats could always be wider. Good work thus far!

Well you can say what you want, but I legitimately don't see myself as looking decent and since I slacked on the back training for a long time I thought it would be pretty bad. I've got low self esteem when it comes to things like this, but hearing people tell me that they think I'm "trolling" insinuates that I look good enough and that I should know this, so that makes me feel better too.