PDA

View Full Version : Front Squat/Receiving the Clean. What's Going Wrong?

tomv
10-08-2007, 07:18 AM
G'day Guys and Ghouls,

When holding the bar in the front squat position I have trouble trying to keep my elbows from pulling in towards my chest (i.e. more towards my midline then my hands). This seems to hurt my shoulders (the back of them) and I've been told it's not good for them.

What is causing this and more importantly what can I do to rectify it?

Fuzzy
10-08-2007, 07:31 AM
Get somone to physically grab your elbows and push them up.

People are paranoid that any pain is bad, this isnt true, just tough it out untill you get your arms in the rght position

JHarris
10-09-2007, 02:48 PM
G'day Guys and Ghouls,

When holding the bar in the front squat position I have trouble trying to keep my elbows from pulling in towards my chest (i.e. more towards my midline then my hands). This seems to hurt my shoulders (the back of them) and I've been told it's not good for them.

What is causing this and more importantly what can I do to rectify it?

There could be one of three issues going on that I can think of without actually seeing you lift. The first is that your pectorals may be too strong for your scapular retractors and you might not be able to puff your chest out once there is weight on top of your shoulders. The second is that you might be very inflexible (this would go hand in hand with the first - too much benching and not enough back work= bad for olympic lifting).

If these aren't the issues, it could be that you are trying to hold the bar too much on your deltoids and not enough across your clavicle. I'd try taking a bar with light weight and trying to puff your chest up and get the bar tight against your neck and clavicle. As fuzzy suggested, maybe get someone to help you raise your elbows up and out. (This will be good if you are too tight.) In the mean time, I'd also start doing my scapular retraction work, just in case.