PDA

View Full Version : I need some opinions on BP grip width. I have some measurements...

Sumorai
10-08-2007, 06:49 PM
I have some measurements for my grip width. Please let me know what you think I should do in regards to grip:

First, here is the measurement from the outside edge of one ring on the bar, to the other:

31 1/16" (thirty one, and one sixteenth inches, of course)
I imagine that is pretty standard.( I guess it is anyway?)

(all of the following grip measurements are from the "inside" side of one index finger, to the other when gripping the bar)
------
The distance between my hands when my ring fingers are on the rings:

25 3/4"
----------
The distance between my hands when my index fingers are on the rings:
29"
------------
The distance between my hands when my index fingers are just outside of the outside edge of the rings:
-----------

My "wingspan"(measurement from tip of middle finger, to tip of middle finger, with arms outstretched like a bird's wings): 77.5"
I am 6'4" tall too, btw.

Considering these figures, what type of grip do you recommend for me? How far apart should my hands be in inches?

benchaholic777
10-08-2007, 07:40 PM
I have short arms (wing span is 65" and I have a 45" chest) and I bench ring finger on the ring. With long arms like yours probably index finger on the rings should be good or maybe wider, I would see which one feels the best and go with it.

RhodeHouse
10-08-2007, 08:01 PM
Index on ring. That's competition width

Sumorai
10-08-2007, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone:

I have short arms (wing span is 65" and I have a 45" chest) and I bench ring finger on the ring. With long arms like yours probably index finger on the rings should be good or maybe wider, I would see which one feels the best and go with it.

65" that is rather short. How tall are you bro? I think my arms may be a little on the short side for 6'4"(a former university assistant football coach that I met once told me my arms were too short to play defensive line and that I would be better playing offensive guard) . But anyway, man, I can imagine it feels like a stretch for you to bench how I was benching most of the time(ring finger on rings).
Is there increased risk for shoulder injury/aggravation for wider grips? Because I have a bad shoulder(right one, really hard impact injury about four years ago maybe). Do you notice any shoulder problems?

Index on ring. That's competition width
Outside of the context of competition, would it be advantageous for me to go wider?(in so far as strength gains and development are concerned.).

benchaholic777
10-08-2007, 08:19 PM
I'm 5'7-5'8. I don't have any shoulder problems anymore. I had my right labrium reattached last June since then I've been able to widen my grip (use to be thumbs length from smooth part, benched 350 raw then), I still keep elbows in tight during the press and have no shoulder problems other than normal inflamation from heavy weight.

Sumorai
10-08-2007, 08:21 PM
I'm 5'7-5'8. I don't have any shoulder problems anymore. I had my right labrium reattached last June since then I've been able to widen my grip (use to be thumbs length from smooth part, benched 350 raw then), I still keep elbows in tight during the press and have no shoulder problems other than normal inflamation from heavy weight.

I didn't know what labrium was until I looked it up. It sounds pretty painful what happened. Its great that you were able to work through that and reach your goal. I presume that benching caused your injury. Is that correct?

benchaholic777
10-08-2007, 08:40 PM
I didn't know what labrium was until I looked it up. It sounds pretty painful what happened. Its great that you were able to work through that and reach your goal. I presume that benching caused your injury. Is that correct?

No lifting didn't do it (probably didn't help though). I tore it playing football my sophmore year in highschool just didn't know it. Because there aren't alot of nerves in the labrium it didn't hurt until it was so torn it put pressure on my bicep tendon. I knew it dislocated alot but I loved the contact to much to let it heal, plus I didn't lift properly then either. When I started lifing seriously in college (and off and on utill I turned 26) I just new it hurt if I gripped wide so I just moved it in until it didn't hurt and took off lifting, after I got over 300lbs. in my sets it started hurting no matter what. My best lift was 350 in a competition in 2005 before the surgery. After I healed up its been a whole different ball game, if I hadn't had the surgery I would have never done 405, there was to much damaged. My labrium was completley detached by 60%.

RhodeHouse
10-08-2007, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone:

65" that is rather short. How tall are you bro? I think my arms may be a little on the short side for 6'4"(a former university assistant football coach that I met once told me my arms were too short to play defensive line and that I would be better playing offensive guard) . But anyway, man, I can imagine it feels like a stretch for you to bench how I was benching most of the time(ring finger on rings).
Is there increased risk for shoulder injury/aggravation for wider grips? Because I have a bad shoulder(right one, really hard impact injury about four years ago maybe). Do you notice any shoulder problems?

Outside of the context of competition, would it be advantageous for me to go wider?(in so far as strength gains and development are concerned.).

That coach is really stupid. That was the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Going too wide is real tough on the shoulders and pecs. IMO, any wider than the rings is a little too much

Sumorai
10-08-2007, 10:48 PM
No lifting didn't do it (probably didn't help though). I tore it playing football my sophmore year in highschool just didn't know it. Because there aren't alot of nerves in the labrium it didn't hurt until it was so torn it put pressure on my bicep tendon. I knew it dislocated alot but I loved the contact to much to let it heal, plus I didn't lift properly then either. When I started lifing seriously in college (and off and on utill I turned 26) I just new it hurt if I gripped wide so I just moved it in until it didn't hurt and took off lifting, after I got over 300lbs. in my sets it started hurting no matter what. My best lift was 350 in a competition in 2005 before the surgery. After I healed up its been a whole different ball game, if I hadn't had the surgery I would have never done 405, there was to much damaged. My labrium was completley detached by 60%.

eehhhh that sounds pretty bad man. I am glad that you have overcome that setback and reached an awesome goal.

That coach is really stupid. That was the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

lol thanks man, but I wouldn't say he was stupid, but possibly mistaken. I seen him like a few days after that and somehow it came up again, and he did say that my arms looked longer than he originally had thought. he had some legitimate credentials so I did worry about what he said. Maybe some how he picked up on this and didn't want to hurt my feelings, lol I don't know. His reasoning was that def linemen needed more reach than off lineman, because they could more effectively manage the off lineman and keep them away from the linebackers, I think that was what his reasoning. I don't quite see how they would need much of a longer reach than an offensive guard, but what do i know...

Going too wide is real tough on the shoulders and pecs. IMO, any wider than the rings is a little too much

Even for someone with long lurch arms like me? oh...nm I forgot, I actually have short arms! ;)

Guido
10-09-2007, 07:43 AM
If I were you Sumorai I'd probably go index fingers on the rings. I do ring fingers on the rings but I'm a lot shorter (5'9ish). Index fingers on rings is competition legal, too.

RhodeHouse
10-09-2007, 09:02 AM
I know I'm hung up on this coach thing - but he's an idiot. I have a few credetials myself, and that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Here's a simple piece of advice for you and your lifting. Start doing it and stop asking about it. Your questions are ones that really don't make much of a difference. You wasted how much time measuring all those distances? You should've been training.

I know you'll have a snappy little explaination that it wasn't too much of a waste or something like that, but the truth is, it was a waste. Start lifting and stop asking so many questions. Paralysis by analysis. My guess is, Arnold didn't ask a whole lot of internet questions when he was coming up.

Sumorai
10-09-2007, 11:29 AM
If I were you Sumorai I'd probably go index fingers on the rings. I do ring fingers on the rings but I'm a lot shorter (5'9ish). Index fingers on rings is competition legal, too.

Thanks Guido. That definitely seems like the best option.

. I have a few credetials myself,

No you don't. Being an assistant peewee football coach for your 8 year old's team doesn't count. ;) lol just kidding man!
But seriously, I wish you were there when I was in high school years ago and heard this, it kind of got me down a bit, and it did take a lot of motivation out of me because I really wanted to play defense and I hated offensive line(I played RT mainly, some guard). My own coaches in HS didn't play me at defense nearly as often as I liked and that made me feel like I was not any good at it, and then this guys tells me my arms are too short and I am like "hmmm....maybe that is why coach such and such doesn't play me defense."(when in fact, endurance was most likely my main issue) And I really just hated being a big fat offensive lineman who didn't get to make any tackles or anything.

Here's a simple piece of advice for you and your lifting. Start doing it and stop asking about it.

???? :cry:

Your questions are ones that really don't make much of a difference.

hmmm....I thought grip width was actually quite important, especially when one has non-average measurements.

You wasted how much time measuring all those distances?

Not very much. I measured the ring distance myself , then I had my mommy measure the distances between my hands with daddy's tape measure.

You should've been training.

Even after I was done training? Maybe I should go train right now! :)

I know you'll have a snappy little explaination that it wasn't too much of a waste or something like that, but the truth is, it was a waste.
(emphasis mine)

hmmm......

What caused the change in your perception of my question? Obviously you felt it was worth answering at first(you told me index fingers on rings) and now you are telling me my question was a waste?

Start lifting and stop asking so many questions.

I finished my work out yesterday. I was not asking these questions during my workout time. Believe me, neither the questions nor the measurements interfered with my training. I wish I had other exercises to do right now, but I have no squat rack, I need to find a deadlifting technique that doesn't touch my "stuff"(please feel free to reply to that thread as I still need advice....*if* you think the question isn't a waste, of course), and the basement ceiling is too low for olympic lifts. I could do curls, but people here seem to think curls are a joke(but I should still probably do them), and I should probably do some skull crushers. So that leaves me with bench press and BW squats. And I can't afford a gym membership right now. So I mean, what else do you want me to do man? Seriously, if there is anything else I need to be doing with the limited equipment that I have, then let me know.(skull crushers and perhaps curls are about the only things I can think of that I should be doing, but that I am not)

Paralysis by analysis.

I definitely agree that I tend to analyse, big time. But I still think grip width was a valid question. I know you are trying to help though.

My guess is, Arnold didn't ask a whole lot of internet questions when he was coming up.

You can't be serious.

edit: I have edited-out of this post, a bit of paranoid speculation on my part.
I will make the original text available to any moderators upon request, or to Rhodes if he wants to see what I said(although I took it back. it was just me being paranoid.). I imagine the moderators already would have access to the original. But I have the text saved if they want to see it.
My apologies in advance to Rhode if he saw the original text(no name calling or insults, just me developing a paranoid theory).

RhodeHouse
10-09-2007, 06:56 PM
Dude, I don't care what you said about me in your post. You also have a very sarcastic, condescending attitude, it seems. Drop it, or people on here won't bother to help you. My life isn't better at the end of the day if I help your lifting career.

My point about Arnold is, just train and don't worry about it. Just lift. It's that simple. Especially if you're just getting started.

Squat
DL
Pull-ups
Bent Rows
Bench
Military Press
Sit-ups

If you're not doing ALL of those, then stop asking questions. Do all of that for about 10 years. No joke. Then start worrying about grip width and all that other stuff that really doesn't matter right now. I know you don't have a squat rack.. Figure out a way to get the bar on your back to squat. This requires using your brain. It's an art that too many young people today have no idea how to do.

If you're paranoid, see a shrink. If you want to lift, go do it. Simple as that.

In case you missed my point - GO LIFT WEIGHTS

Sumorai
10-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Hi Rhodehouse,
Thanks for your reply. I didn't mean to offend you or seem condescending. And the sarcasm was completely in jest, it is just me trying to come off as more "normal" or jovial, and less all "holier than thou" and bizarre, solemn and serious, as I often seem to others. So, it is a balance that I try to achieve, between being myself, and relating to others. So I'm sorry if I stepped on your toes with the peewee football thing. I was just trying to be funny and like-able. And the Arnold thing, I didn't know if you were serious and if you were trying to be funny. So I was just confused there. I thought you were trying to make a joke and I thought it was kinda funny but I wasn't sure. And my original post didn't contain any insults or anything, just me being paranoid.

anyway, enough about that.
As for the lifts, thanks for your advice, and I will try to implement those exercises into my routine and figure out a way to get around my squat situation. It will definitely require me to use my brain, as you said. As will the military press situation, because the basement where I work out is not high enough for me to put the weight over my head. And so the low ceiling rules out my using an olympic style lift to get the bar behind my neck, for squats too. But, I will use my brain and think of something. But there are options:
I could take the weights outside and work out on the lawn. The sky is the limit there. It will take time and effort to move the weights with the bar outside, and bring them back in, but that could be beneficial in and of itself. Or I could just take the weights upstairs and work out in the living room or something(with the squats and dl's but this will require a great deal of care).
But anyway, I was just brainstorming. Maybe someone will give me some feedback about it if they are so inclined(and no, that is not a hint for you to do it. :) ). The pull up situation is essentially physiologically impossible for me at this time. But that is not to say that I cannot do negative reps off of something. Perhaps a tree limb....a very strong tree limb. I could also maybe go to a playground and do pullups off of something there like a jungle gym. But I will have to do some research first, so I will be absolutely certain that doing so will not compromise the structural integrity of the object. I am 329lbs, afterall. I finally weighed myself btw. I am pretty sure that I gained weight since I was weighed at 320(months ago) and then lost some.

But I digress....

Thanks for your advice. I do not agree with everything you said, but I still appreciate it and I think there was a lot of good information you gave me.

RhodeHouse
10-09-2007, 10:50 PM
Whatever, Dude. You're on your own.

Sumorai
10-10-2007, 12:20 AM
Whatever, Dude. You're on your own.

:) :strong:

smokinHawk
10-10-2007, 06:28 AM

dang those are short arms you sure your wing span is 65"
I am 5'8" and my wing span is 72"

right now i am at pinky on the ring, i will over time probably move it out to index on the ring to get the most mechanical advantage, but it might take a long time to get there.

if i were you id just go index or thumb on the ring and SFW!

benchaholic777
10-10-2007, 07:57 AM

right now i am at pinky on the ring, i will over time probably move it out to index on the ring to get the most mechanical advantage, but it might take a long time to get there.

if i were you id just go index or thumb on the ring and SFW!

Yeah my wife (A PTA) has one of those tape measures they use in physical theropy and she measured them the night I posted'em, I was a little shocked to but that is what the measure tip of index finger to tip of index finger.

Sumorai
10-10-2007, 05:37 PM

That's pretty long for 5'8" right? Your height is 94% of your wingspan, mine is 98% of my wingspan. So definitely your arms are longer relative to your height than mine are.

right now i am at pinky on the ring, i will over time probably move it out to index on the ring to get the most mechanical advantage,
sorry Hawk I got some questions...lol obviously I enjoy picking your brain(cuz u iz strong bro!!!):

1.Why are you at pinky on ring?

2. Were you wanting to put more emphasis on working your triceps or something?

3. Do you think I should stay where I am at(ring finger on rings) for a while before I go to index on rings?

waynedang
10-10-2007, 05:47 PM
With me being the worlds largest midget ( 5'8" or so ) I have short arms. I do most of my raw bench pinky on the ring and all shirted bench index on the ring.

I guess I never put much thought into it. I just try to make it to the gym and lift some heavy ( to me ) weights. I just think people put way to much thought into this. If you are really wanting to find what works best for you try many different grips. Start narrow go wider until you find what you like.

vdizenzo
10-11-2007, 05:39 AM
I'm 5'8" and bench with my index finger on the ring. If you are not taking advantage of the widest competition grip possible you have weak lats.

Lift weights not books!

smokinHawk
10-11-2007, 07:42 AM
5'8" guys rock!

1. in the begining when i benched at home and had one of those small bars and racks it forced me to have a narrow grip, i began moving it out and got to the point were i felt comfortable at 1" pinky from the ring., the past 1.5 years i have worked to move it out to gain more mechanical advantage, so right now i am at pinky on the rings, in the last couple of months i started to move it out to ring finger on the ring, but due to a shoulder injury i pulled it back into pinky on the ring. I have head several people say keeping it in will put less stress on the shoulders, which i have weak shoulders due to some injuries in the past, and need to strengthen them.

2. No, not intentionally trying to work my triceps more, I do get allot of chest worked though the way i bench, my chest is my strong point as they overpower most everything, when ever i bench i really feel it in my chest, as it is sore for the next few days, with triceps just a little sore, i need to do some more work inclining to strengthen my shoulders to help with the movement, but if i work them hard i usually suffer from shoulder injuries.

3. If i were you id be moving it out maybe an 1/8-1/4 of an inch every workout, maybe faster since you haven't been benching that long and you arnt used to a certain point yet. you have long arms, keep it wide, and make sure you learn to tuck your elbows, this will help prevent shoulder injuries and also keep the bar more stable.

what is the rule for max competition width? at first i thought it was index on the rings, but i have heard some people talk how people get away with the thumb on the ring, which could constitute the maximum hand placement.

funny how people think i am built to bench but compared to other guys my height my arms are long.

Sumorai
10-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Thanks Hawk