PDA

View Full Version : Multi Vitamin + extra

canadianbuilder
10-09-2007, 01:31 PM
Just a little intro w/ my situation...
I'm living on campus in a dorm with no source of cooking. All I have is a fridge.
The cafeteria hardly has any vegetables, and it has a small selection of "fresh" fruit.

I am not able to get the "recommended" intake of fruits/veggies each day with a busy schedule...

If I supplement the small amount I do get with a multi vitamin and additional WS vitamins (C, E, and B complex) will it be pretty close to the same as if I were taking the "recommended" amount of fruits/veggies without the extra supplementation?

The reason they don't have much selection is the veggies are usually stir-fried in oil (not healthy oils I am assuming). Also lettuce salad...
The fruit is covered in sugary syrup/juices. The only true fruit is fresh bananas, kiwis, apples and oranges.

Any suggestions? I keep a fruit or two in my fridge and will be getting spinach this weekend to keep in the fridge. I'm just trying to stay as healthy as possible to combat the not so healthy food they serve at the cafeteria.

j03
10-09-2007, 02:07 PM
CanadianBuilder,

I'm in the same position as you haha, I just eat atleast 2 large salads per day. The good part is they have some fresh fruit available so i indulge in that.

What else do they have? Where do you go to college?

dscarth
10-09-2007, 09:55 PM
I think you should be taking a good multivitamin no matter what your diet.

Is it a substitute for fresh fruits, vegetables? Not entirely. A multivitamin wont fill you up, and a multivitamin wont have some other benefits (primarily fiber, and possibly carotenoids/antioxidants that might not be found in your multi).

canadianbuilder
10-10-2007, 12:22 AM
Yeah I read about the lack of the fibre, antioxidants and antibioacs or something too.

I am going to University in Victoria BC

They have fruit like Bananas, kiwis, oranges and apples like I mentioned, then salad and canned fruit, and then sometimes vegetables. Not much...

Holto
10-10-2007, 07:26 PM
Get a greens drink.

canadianbuilder
10-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Get a greens drink.

Are they any good, quality wise? I heard some mixed feelings about them

Holto
10-12-2007, 02:34 PM
Greens+ (as it's called in Canada) is top quality. The company that makes it (Genuine Health) is borderline crazy in their approach to manufacturing. They don't use plastics, they bring in organic lunches for their workers etc.

It has also been studied by the University of Toronto.

You might find the Prarie Naturals version much cheaper though. In general I would say getting 1/3 of the recommended serving would do you well.