PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with an 8 hour shift

Organichu
10-10-2007, 01:37 AM
Any ideas?

Every job I've held previous to this was very casual (family stuff, tutoring, teaching piano, volunteering without pay, etc.). Next week, though, I start a generic retail job (cross training sales associate and backroom) at Target. Apparently work like this is pretty soul-numbing.

Just wondering how you retail/stock monkeys get through an 8 hour shift. I've honestly never had to deal with 8 hours under the scrutiny of a supervisor who needs to meet deadlines and all. How boring is it? How can I make it less boring?

anelka
10-10-2007, 02:26 AM
I work 8-12 hour shifts doing mindless factory work. For the first year or so I just stared at the clock and it dragged like hell. Eventually you learn to turn off. Yes, it's soul destroying, it's dull, your brain will slowly decay, you'll go mad with boredom. You'll lose all motivation, all self-esteem, all will to live.

I try to relieve the boredom by throwing things, and writing insulting messages on things. You can only do so much though, I've been here over three years and it still bores the **** out of me and I just feel like burning the place down with everyone in it.

galileo
10-10-2007, 05:28 AM
Just like anything that drains away your life, you will grow accustomed to it and when it's no longer there for you you'll want it more and more.

minime_moomey
10-10-2007, 05:38 AM
LOL. I think Anelka hit it on the head. The good thing is 8 hours seems like nothing when you start doing 12-16 hours at a time. I work at a warehouse throwing boxes all day and I just try to get a workout out of it. Doing reps with 80lb boxes of frozen meat gets some funny looks from the supervisors though :rolleyes: It sounds like yours wont be too bad though...I can think of worse parts in a store than cross training and stuff

Genacide
10-10-2007, 06:18 AM
The harder and faster you work, the faster the time will go.

Jorge Sanchez
10-10-2007, 07:29 AM

:withstupi:

Your first 8 hour shift is going to feel like 24. Staying busy is going to be the best way to make the time go by quickly. I worked at a grocery store for almost 5 years and whenever I worked an eight hour shift I would like to work for a long time without a break and then take breaks more often towards the end.

SW
10-10-2007, 08:00 AM
You'll just have to get used to working like most everyone else.

tomv
10-10-2007, 09:17 AM
I work 9 hours every Saturday and Sunday in a grocery. The store manager is in charge of me so I don't really get to slack off. Exactly what everyone else said. Don't look at the time if you can help it and just keep busy. It sounds lame, but look for work.

Detard
10-10-2007, 09:26 AM
Bring an ipod when your doing stock?

Sensei
10-10-2007, 09:32 AM
The harder and faster you work, the faster the time will go.Exactly.

I used to drive a bus. No matter how much you like driving, it can get monotonous if you spend 3-12 hours driving the same 10-20mile route.

The key for me was to challenge myself to drive to perfection - see how close I could take my right rear tire to the curb without doing a curb check, try not to jar the passengers in the slightest when stopping, hit the assigned stop at the exact scheduled time, etc.

Guido
10-10-2007, 10:02 AM
The 8 hours will seem like a long time at first, but eventually you will adjust and it will not seem so long. If you get a lunch break in there it definitely helps to break up the time. If you can be flexible with your lunch, take it a bit later so you have a shorter afternoon, that way once lunch is over you know you'll only have a few hours left and you'll be more motivated.

anelka
10-10-2007, 11:31 AM

In most menial jobs, you can't really work hard. In a shop for instance, if you're at a till you're just sat there.

Steve24
10-10-2007, 11:32 AM
Don't be staring at the clock all the time, I work in a kitchen in the summers and there's so much do to in such little time it makes time fly.

jdeity
10-10-2007, 11:35 AM
In most menial jobs, you can't really work hard. In a shop for instance, if you're at a till you're just sat there.

In most? What kind of menial jobs are you working? I've worked the entire gamut of menial jobs when I was younger - fast food, grocery stores, paper route, landscaping, retail - and not a SINGLE one of them disallowed you to work really hard.

daved931
10-10-2007, 11:35 AM
I work about 10 hours a day, Monday through Friday. It's a little monotonous some days, but I really like my job.

If you have a boring job like retail, just hope that you have good co-workers. Lazy people and people with bad attitudes will make it suck. If you have good co-workers and can have fun while getting your work done, you're all set.

I used to work at a convenience store running a cash register and making pizza and subs. When I had good people to work with, it was a fun job.

Try not to clock watch and keep busy. If you have good people to work with, so much the better.

berfles
10-10-2007, 12:03 PM
I'll say this, not looking at the clock does help. I have the time hidden on the taskbar of my computer and a post-it over the time on my phone and both time I've looked at the clock today two hours have passed in no time.

BG5150
10-10-2007, 12:15 PM
Flirt with the hot chicks at work. And the hot customers, too.

RinkerxX
10-10-2007, 12:23 PM
lol, I work 4am-2pm mon-sat. Lifting frozen pig hearts,kidneys at a meat factory. The temp was roughly 30-32 degrees throughout the factory and the boxes frozen weigh about 75-80 lbs, We do about 12 skids each day and there are about 40 boxes on each skid. It sucks.

Jorge Sanchez
10-10-2007, 02:39 PM
I would also add, keep a positive attitude. It's hard sometimes, especially with all the ass-hat customers and co-workers/bosses, but it will make your time there much easier. Don't stress out about the little things.

Organichu
10-10-2007, 02:41 PM
You'll just have to get used to working like most everyone else.

I've worked hundred hour weeks; I'm used to working. I'm just unaccustomed to the whole big company thing with pressure from supervisors and managers who need to hop scotch over red tape and within corporate lines and all. I hate bureaucracy.

Thanks for the tips, everyone.

McIrish
10-10-2007, 05:31 PM

Your first 8 hour shift is going to feel like 24. Staying busy is going to be the best way to make the time go by quickly. I worked at a grocery store for almost 5 years and whenever I worked an eight hour shift I would like to work for a long time without a break and then take breaks more often towards the end.

That's what I do at my current, mindnumbing 9 to 5'er. Yahoo!