PDA

View Full Version : 45 inch vert, get me there

235orbust
10-10-2007, 08:17 AM
My goal is to have a 45 inch verticle at about this time 2 years from now, I want to have about 38 inches this time next year. Before you laugh off this thread, I feel like with a lot of training i could do this, as I am now i have about a 34 inch verticle, so I would have to put on about 5-6 inches a year to reach my goal, but luckily, as i look at it, I have realatively weak legs. my max squat is probably no higher than 320, which to me, means i would be able to put on a lot vert. So getting to my point, does anyone have maybe a good lower body workout that targets explosion/verticle? And if not, does anyone have any advice about changes to WBB1.1 i could make to focus more on verticle?

drew
10-10-2007, 10:38 AM
Go to Joe Defranco's website. Read everything.

CosmicForce
10-11-2007, 08:23 AM
http://www.powerbasketball.com/040908.html

RhodeHouse
10-11-2007, 09:29 AM
Sorry dude, ain't gonna happen. Maybe 36-37", but no way 45" You either got it, or you don't. Verticle is not something you can increase like a bench or squat.

Sensei
10-11-2007, 10:12 AM
Document all of your training and if you succeed, sell it and make millions.

"The Vertical Jump" by DeFranco and Rooney is good. I don't know about other programs, but Kelley Baggett has one too.

mikey4402
10-11-2007, 12:02 PM
Sorry dude, ain't gonna happen. Maybe 36-37", but no way 45" You either got it, or you don't. Verticle is not something you can increase like a bench or squat.

i agree, i dont see you gaining 10inches. I can see you with a 37 inch maybe.i would re-set your goal to 40inch. Verticals are more to do with mechanics and genetics , not power

smokinHawk
10-11-2007, 02:11 PM
i would like to add 3-4" but at times it seems impossible.

redFury
10-11-2007, 03:33 PM
If you want some inspiration, Frank Wang hit a 40" after 2+ years of training. And a guy named Dr Squat on T-Nation had even better results from his training.

Rhodes is right about genetics playing a huge role and I would say 45" is out of the question. But 38" is definitely possible and would be a huge accomplishment.

teenathlete3030
10-14-2007, 10:04 PM
Talking to my SPARQ tester/track coach he said the highest vertical he's ever tested anyone on was 49. That's right, 49 standing vertical. After a year of college some big school paid him money to transfer, but that's absolutely ridiculous.

Kelly Bagget says that unless you can squat over 2x bodyweight and have the movement efficiency to jump over a knee high object side to side 20 times in 10 seconds, you have room for improvement.

Obviously the best bet to reaching your goal would be to work with a really good trainer with a lot of experience in vertical training. I'm guessing you're wanting to do this on your own however, so I would say get your hands on as many articles and books as you can and read up... then use the knowledge you aquire to train yourself. You know your body a lot better than someone who wrote a single book, and you need to know what type of training you need and what your body responds to.

schmitty199
10-17-2007, 06:45 PM
i agree, i dont see you gaining 10inches. I can see you with a 37 inch maybe.i would re-set your goal to 40inch. Verticals are more to do with mechanics and genetics , not power

Agreed, it may be a bit of a stretch.(no pun intended)

http://www.galileo2000.nl/web/pics/Vertimax_Collegiate.jpg

If you have access to one of those, then use it religiously.

OsaBoy5
10-19-2007, 05:20 PM
have you tried jump attack, before i went to the army, when i was doing high jump and playing basketball i had 45 inch vert, try jump attack, i bought it because it was MJ used and it worked wonders, also try a program called Air Alert, it works also

235orbust
10-19-2007, 09:00 PM
Lol, this is the response i figured i would recieve, and admittedly i believe 45 inches does sound rediculous, but just hear me out.

1)I dont think i will improve that much with only work in the weight room, there is no way. But, keep in mind, 2 years ago,at age 16, i probably had a least a 37 inch verticle(at 6'3 i could put my forearm in the rim, ala vince carter), but i tore my left acl, and that was really before i started any type of weightlifting or training,really, so i believe i have it in me.so through individual leg and polymetric training, the fact alone of getting the, for lack of a better word, fluidity of motion i had before would improve my verticle sufficiently.

2) I play college basketball at a pretty high level. This may be a myth, but i think it legitimate, that every basketball season, your verticle will increase about .5 an inch. do you all agree that thats a fair statement? just from the idea that you are jumping and cutting and moving so much that it almost becomes second nature, i believe that is an accurate statement. Just like a quarterback in football, dont you think that he will be able to throw a better ball toward the end of the season than at the beginning, just becasue of the raw mass of passes he has thrown in practice and games?

3)I have another goal I plan to reach in two years, 235 at 12% bodyfat, I am currently about 220 10% bodyfat, so if i reach my goal, i would be putting on about 15 pounds of lean muscle, and that can be estimated to about 8 pounds of lean muscle to my lower body. I lift 5-6 times a week, 3 times with a strengh trainer and do polymetrics about 3, and core work every lift. So i would be simulatiously be improving my jumping potential while improving my jumping efficientcy/ability.

4)also i might be working out with the track sprint squad after the season. This will teach me better running form, which i badly need, and, while this may sound nieve, but i have never seen a really fast sprinter that doesnt have a great verticle. Plus, right now, i am legitimately slow, but i have the build of a sprinter(long legs and a very cut,athletic frame)so I believe there may be an perennial gold mine for improvement there. I have never ran track in my life.

6) i think i underestimated my current verticle, its probably close to about 36, i can dunk to hands off vert(no step, just under the hoop straight up) so my teamates think its about 35-36

I dont know, i know it sounds crazy but I really believe i have a 40plus inch verticle in me, its just a matter of conditioning it. And no i am not one of those guys that just lives to dunk, verticle=explosion and explosion is EVERYTHING in basketball. Think about it. Thanks for the links too.

redFury
10-19-2007, 10:00 PM
1)2 years ago,at age 16, i probably had a least a 37 inch verticle(at 6'3 i could put my forearm in the rim, ala vince carter), but i tore my left acl, and that was really before i started any type of weightlifting or training,really, so i believe i have it in me.
This is clearly straight up genetics... and at 16 quite good. I was a state caliber track athlete in high school and had a 34" running (after training and weights). Based upon that fact your goal of 45" is much more reasonable.

2) I play college basketball at a pretty high level. This may be a myth, but i think it legitimate, that every basketball season, your verticle will increase about .5 an inch. If you play college ball at a "high level", that means to me you have to be a d1 athlete. About increasing your vert from playing ball... I would have to say thats more of a myth. I've actually read about verticals decreasing from playing ball. I would think this would have to do with endurance developed (running) in addition to the level of intensity during play often being less than 70% (even at a high level). Those are my thoughts on increasing your vert from only playing ball. I feel this is even more true since your are a high level in shape athlete.

3)I have another goal I plan to reach in two years, 235 at 12% bodyfat, I am currently about 220 10% bodyfat, so if i reach my goal, i would be putting on about 15 pounds of lean muscle, and that can be estimated to about 8 pounds of lean muscle to my lower body. I lift 5-6 times a week, 3 times with a strengh trainer and do polymetrics about 3, and core work every lift. So i would be simulatiously be improving my jumping potential while improving my jumping efficientcy/ability.
That doesnt really sound like something you can do at 100% effort during the season.. but a decent idea. I would expect you to see close to immediate gains from the plyos.

4)also i might be working out with the track sprint squad after the season. This will teach me better running form, which i badly need, and, while this may sound nieve, but i have never seen a really fast sprinter that doesnt have a great verticle. Plus, right now, i am legitimately slow, but i have the build of a sprinter(long legs and a very cut,athletic frame)so I believe there may be an perennial gold mine for improvement there. I have never ran track in my life.

IMO you're either a sprinter or your not... and build doesnt have that much to do with it. I've seen a skinny white kid at my hick high school run a legit 10.9 100m... and another thin kid (~5'8) at a rival high school run a 10.6. That said, it would certainly be worth your time running with them.

6) i think i underestimated my current verticle, its probably close to about 36, i can dunk to hands off vert(no step, just under the hoop straight up) so my teamates think its about 35-36

I dont know, i know it sounds crazy but I really believe i have a 40plus inch verticle in me, its just a matter of conditioning it. And no i am not one of those guys that just lives to dunk, verticle=explosion and explosion is EVERYTHING in basketball. Think about it. Thanks for the links too.
It doesnt sound crazy to me anymore. Sounds like you might have a gift... but to reach the 45 is going to take a ton of work. Might take you several years to get there... but put the time in and you'll see steady results.

RhodeHouse
10-20-2007, 05:33 PM
If you play hoops, I would concentrate on being a better basketball player. I remember a guy named larry Bird who couldn't jump to save his life. I'm pretty sure he's in the Hall of Fame (I hope you get my sarcasm) and is arguably one of the GREATEST basketball players ever. Just because you can jump high and run straight, doesn't mean you can play basketball.

You shouldn't lift weights more than 4x per week as an athlete. I would even say 3x as a hoop player.

235orbust
10-22-2007, 05:45 PM
If you play hoops, I would concentrate on being a better basketball player. I remember a guy named larry Bird who couldn't jump to save his life. I'm pretty sure he's in the Hall of Fame (I hope you get my sarcasm) and is arguably one of the GREATEST basketball players ever. Just because you can jump high and run straight, doesn't mean you can play basketball.

You shouldn't lift weights more than 4x per week as an athlete. I would even say 3x as a hoop player.

lol right, and I do train my basketball skills everyday, but you see, this is a weightlifting forum, so im asking questions about my training off the court, it wouldnt make sense to ask you guys some good dribbling drills or some tips for my jumper now would it?

And no, jumping high doesnt make you a great player, but if you are already a good player, its goiing to make you better. Think of how good larry bird would be if he HAD trained and increased his vert.

This brings up a point that i want to address, Verticle, at least for me. verticle=potential. its not all about being able to put up a spectacular dunk for your girlfriend. Having a good vert=explosion, the higher your vert the more explosive you are, and being explosive in basketball is key, that is your first step to get past your defender, jumping up to get a rebound, finishing strong on a layup/dunk to be able to get that and 1. And when you DO master the nuances of the game, you will be so powerful with your movements you would have the potential to be unstoppable. No its not everything, the mind has the capability to make anyone a dominant player, but if you do love training as much as i do, upping your explosiveness should be your goal. And if I do reach my goal, it is safe to say i will most likely be the most explosive player exerytime is step on the court, which i think is equal to saying you are the strongest football player everytime you step on the field.

mikey4402
10-22-2007, 06:58 PM
I still dont see a 10" gain. But im hoping you can prove me wrong.
It would be intresting to see your progress along the way. Perhaps create a online journal to track your way to your goal. i would be very intrested in reading it along the line

skinnypole101
12-10-2007, 06:55 PM
try air alert
heard many success stories with it

Bupp
12-11-2007, 08:22 AM
Most of the replies in this thread seems to be hating on the thread starter/really bad advice.

krboyd7
12-11-2007, 08:32 AM
try air alert
heard many success stories with it

I made this mistake.

I think everyone who plays ball has tried this... it wrecks your knees.

The success stories that are printed... are printed by the company. They are not going to say "our programme is sh1t".

I played national standard league ball in the uk until i was 21. Needless to say i have had a knee op and am only 27 now.

I am just under 6ft and could dunk a ball. I worked on my vertical by working on my legs in the gym.

BoAnderson71
12-15-2007, 11:42 AM
vertimax.com

235orbust
12-23-2007, 08:43 PM
I made this mistake.

I think everyone who plays ball has tried this... it wrecks your knees.

The success stories that are printed... are printed by the company. They are not going to say "our programme is sh1t".

I played national standard league ball in the uk until i was 21. Needless to say i have had a knee op and am only 27 now.

I am just under 6ft and could dunk a ball. I worked on my vertical by working on my legs in the gym.

i dont know about that, air alert in essence is just high amounts of polymetrics,it could be damaging on your knees but i do think it can be beneficial, and you will see a gain your first cycle of it

KingJustin
12-23-2007, 10:16 PM
I didn't read everything. Whether you can or can't eventually get to 45", I do not know, but I have some advice for improving your vertical:

(1) Start by increasing your general leg strength. Squats, lunges, calf raises. These are probably the 3 most important. Work deadlifts, front squats, snatch grip deadlifts and Romanian Deadlifts in there as well. Do whatever program you think will have the greatest impact on strength gains (I'd suggest some kind of modified Westside program).
(2) Then, work on your explosiveness. Dynamic squats, power cleans, full cleans, snatches. Make sure to add in bands/chains.
(3) Start working in box jumps, 'the jumper machine,' weighted vest jumps (make sure your form is not compromised) and other similar stuff. Also, try to teach your body to use the strength gained in squats/power cleans, etc.
See: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/exercises_for_fighters.htm
(4) Taper a little, and then just go through whatever the latest Air Alert program is.

You want to overlap all these steps a bit, but follow that general progression. Something like 14 months strength, 4 months explosiveness, 2 months box jumps, 2 week taper, 4 months Air Alert. You're going to get exponentially greater increases as time moves on. If you just did Air Alert II by itself, you'd get a significant improvement (I only did it for 6 weeks before I started lifting weights, and I went from not being able to touch the rim to dunking -- I don't expect your results to be that significant).

Also, throughout the whole time, you want to work on your general mobility and coordination. I'm sure that makes a difference. Look into mobility drills I guess (the air alert type stuff is going to help with this).

And do those jump-shoes improve your vertical in any way that my plan doesn't? I'm kind of curious as to how they help your jump..

235orbust
12-24-2007, 03:11 PM
I didn't read everything. Whether you can or can't eventually get to 45", I do not know, but I have some advice for improving your vertical:

(1) Start by increasing your general leg strength. Squats, lunges, calf raises. These are probably the 3 most important. Work deadlifts, front squats, snatch grip deadlifts and Romanian Deadlifts in there as well. Do whatever program you think will have the greatest impact on strength gains (I'd suggest some kind of modified Westside program).
(2) Then, work on your explosiveness. Dynamic squats, power cleans, full cleans, snatches. Make sure to add in bands/chains.
(3) Start working in box jumps, 'the jumper machine,' weighted vest jumps (make sure your form is not compromised) and other similar stuff. Also, try to teach your body to use the strength gained in squats/power cleans, etc.
See: http://www.elitefts.com/documents/exercises_for_fighters.htm
(4) Taper a little, and then just go through whatever the latest Air Alert program is.

You want to overlap all these steps a bit, but follow that general progression. Something like 14 months strength, 4 months explosiveness, 2 months box jumps, 2 week taper, 4 months Air Alert. You're going to get exponentially greater increases as time moves on. If you just did Air Alert II by itself, you'd get a significant improvement (I only did it for 6 weeks before I started lifting weights, and I went from not being able to touch the rim to dunking -- I don't expect your results to be that significant).

Also, throughout the whole time, you want to work on your general mobility and coordination. I'm sure that makes a difference. Look into mobility drills I guess (the air alert type stuff is going to help with this).

And do those jump-shoes improve your vertical in any way that my plan doesn't? I'm kind of curious as to how they help your jump..

great advice man. what exactly do you mean by dynamic squats? can i get a few examples. jumpsoles are good, initially you see a pretty big increase, but it tapers off as you stop using them, a good investment tho, great for jump roping...

Dgro
12-24-2007, 03:43 PM
Anyone who says you can't increase vert like bench or squat........lol

I just don't know what else to say. lol sums it up pretty well >_>

OP, I highly recommend the Vertical Jump Development Bible. Do a google search, it's a $40 e-book (totally worth it).

KingJustin
12-24-2007, 05:53 PM
Dynamic Effort is lifting a weight between 40-70% of your 1rm for 1-5 reps per set, with short rests, and doing 16-24 reps. All reps are done for speed.

So, say your max squat is 400 lbs.
DE would be something like 205 lbs x 2 reps x 8 sets, with 1 minute rests. Every time you lift the weight, try to lift it really fast.

A lot of the vertical jump programs are "peaking" programs. They usually involve large amounts of plyometrics, or they use really lame weight training still (ie never training truly heavy and stuff).

Air Alert really might mess your knees up a little bit. It involves a LOT of repetitions. Some people probably aren't really made for it, but you can follow it for at least 4 weeks, taper for a week, then get back on it for 3 weeks or something.

Oh, and do a bunch of jump roping all the way through. Start all your warm-ups with it. Add in doubles, 1-legs, 1-leg doubles, running, and then all sorts of crazy ****.

Here's a primer:
http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym/thegym26.htm

When you get good, look up Buddy Lee.

ku_med
12-25-2007, 10:04 PM
before you start any kind of program directed toward increasing your vert, you should definintely measure with exact precision what your vertical really is, not an estimate by your teammates. it seems by what kind of dunks you are doing now, it might be slightly higher than what you think. then again you are 6'5''. but for practical purposes and for the seriousness that you seem to be approaching your goal with, really measure it. good luck with your aspirations... speaking personally, nothing compares athletically to watching someone dunk that has a vert like that. vince, josh smith, steve francis, the list goes on. you could possibly do what they do, and thats f***ing badass. set your mind to it and do the s**t.

Owens14
01-03-2008, 07:34 PM
air alert. trust me, we had two freshmen on my schools jr. high team a year ago that were dunking after a summer on the air alert program, the year before, one of them was TOUCHING rim. Not to mention these kids were 5'9 and 5'10. If it can work this well for a couple of jr. highers, id love to see what it could do for a D1 athlete...

Sensei
01-09-2008, 11:54 AM
If it can work this well for a couple of jr. highers, id love to see what it could do for a D1 athlete...
It will NOT have anything close to the same success rate with DI athletes.

To the OP,
There are good programs out there. Some not so good. Plyos are fine, but it's pretty easy to go waaay overboard with them - be careful about their inclusion. As I already suggested, Rooney & DeFranco's booklet is pretty solid. I haven't seen it, but I'm sure Kelly Baggett's program is good. Someone mentioned Dr. Squat's website and, if memory serves me, there is an article there as well.
Regardless of where you end up, you can certainly make improvements, so don't bother listening to all the "realists".

ARchgr8
01-11-2008, 09:33 PM
Our trainer in college has us do boxes (40inch to 18 inch),an array of cleans(barbell and single dumbell/Kettleball), squats(front, reg, goblet), Lunges(dumbell and barbell), ladders(flat, 6-18 inch raised like hurtles i guess) and other plyo's.

I personally have tried air alert and really liked it I got 4 inches out of it in a 3 month period back in high school it was simple and easy to do without having to worry about bad form like with lifting and advanced plyo's.

I think the biggest key to success is varying the workouts and knowing when to take breaks this is why its very helpful to have a good strength trainer at school. Kingjustins advice is very good also! but make sure you get adequate rest and recovery time. I would probably also recommend not doing this during your season. You can do it but its not going to easy and i would also recommend shooting for 40 inches first

Majestic
01-12-2008, 11:52 PM
You can absolutely increase your vertical by many inches, but a goal of a 45 inch vertical sounds a bit high. You may want to set your goals relative to where you are now, as opposed to a fixed number like that.

Jordan's vertical was 43 at his peak, 38 when he came back in Spring of 2005, and just 41 when he returned for his first full-season of his "2nd career" in the Fall of 2005. 45 inches may be a bit much. Then again, who knows.

I stand by what I said earlier, though. Gauge your growth from where you are now, as opposed to some magical fixed number.

Jordan did more with 41 inches than anyone ever did with 50 inches. I've yet to see someone casually dribble the basketball, leap from the free throw line, and dunk as if he didn't care.

I've seen guys sprint full-speed at the rim (Brent Barry?) without dribbling once and hit it, I've seen guys take one step inside the line and hit it while stretching to the high-heavens (Dr. J and Clyde Drexler), but I've never seen anyone dunk from the free throw line while casually dribbling like they didn't give two *****s about it like Jordan did, and hit it.

Absolute strength is important, as is explosive strength. How that applies to your actual GAME, I don't know.

I'm sort of weird. I can't even touch the rim while running, yet I can dunk a miniature basketball from a three step, two-footed approach.

** for the record, Arnie Kander, trainer to the Detroit Pistons, put 11 inches on Allen Houston's vertical (a guy who ran & jumped all his life) and 13 inches on a Duke player's vertical his senior year of high school (can't remember his name, but he was from Detroit Country Day)

Either way, it didn't make them in-game high-flyers, although I know for a fact that Kander improved Houston's quickness. The guy was a stiff before Kander got a hold of him.

teenathlete3030
01-14-2008, 10:57 AM
2) I play college basketball at a pretty high level. This may be a myth, but i think it legitimate, that every basketball season, your verticle will increase about .5 an inch. do you all agree that thats a fair statement? just from the idea that you are jumping and cutting and moving so much that it almost becomes second nature, i believe that is an accurate statement. Just like a quarterback in football, dont you think that he will be able to throw a better ball toward the end of the season than at the beginning, just becasue of the raw mass of passes he has thrown in practice and games?

Any increases during the season probably come from increased use of the motor pattern. But the more you play, the more likely it will go down because of fatigue.

Increasing muscle size will increase your potential to a point. Eventually it will weigh you down. Look at track, throwers are generally the biggest, followed by short sprinters, long sprinters, then jumpers. High jumpers have the smallest built. Remember a running high jump is different than a straight down and up vertical. Most every high level athlete, even throwers and OLY lifters have great down and up verticals because of sheer power. Yet once you go to running jumps, much like you get in basketball, lighter athletes will have an advantage. Depending on what your position is more mass could be better for your game, move people around.

Elite sprinters have great verticals because they are extremely powerful and have great CNS response times. I believe that better running form will help any athlete, especially BBall players because a lot of them are lacking.

It takes me about 37" to throw it down with two hands, and that's off a run up. I'm 6'0". As for all the people saying that a 45 inch is way out of the question, only time can tell. Many athletes don't reach their peak until mid 20s.

Well, this thread was started in October. It's January. Any updates?

kevowamo
01-14-2008, 01:20 PM
ive been reading through your thread and i don think i saw the two words that will get you to your goal. AIR ALERT!!! baron davis (6'2", jumps out the gym) did and does the program and is a sponsor for it. I did it for about 2 1/2 weeks and gained at least 3 in. Its garunteed to (at least it used to be) increase your vert 6-11 in! I think you can get there for sure. and im sorta like you too...but im 6'1". i can dunk also. people always seem to think i should guard the tall guys at the gym because 'i can jump' they say. so if i got 3 in. in a couple-few weeks, so can you. its a ****in intense program though! if you don't do air alert though, i will say get a weighted vest of some sort and get under the rim and keep jumpin and touchin the rim for minutes at a time. jump, touch, as soon as you land, jump again. the key is joint stregnth/bounce over muscle stregnth. matter of fact, since ive been liftin for the past 3 months, my vert has went down! hope this helps. take care. good luck!

teenathlete3030
01-14-2008, 05:03 PM
baron davis (6'2", jumps out the gym) did and does the program and is a sponsor for it.

One thing you have to remember is that sometimes companies come to high level athletes and say, "If you endorse this we'll give you 'x' amount of dollars."

I looked at Air Alert once. It didn't have much if any strength work, mostly low to moderate plyometric exercises for high reps. That's good if you're a raw beginner, or haven't jumped in a while. Eventually you will burn out and stop gaining vertical.

people always seem to think i should guard the tall guys at the gym because 'i can jump' they say.

I have that persona too, but I got it from a combination of squatting, olympic lifts, auxilary lifts, a good diet, and playing the game.

i will say get a weighted vest of some sort and get under the rim and keep jumpin and touchin the rim for minutes at a time. jump, touch, as soon as you land, jump again. the key is joint stregnth/bounce over muscle stregnth. matter of fact, since ive been liftin for the past 3 months, my vert has went down!

Over time that approach will lead you to get so fatigued you can't go on and continue to gain. There's many reasons your vert could have gone down because of lifting. It could have to do with your lifting, or it could be as simple as letting your body have time to heal and reap the benefits.

I'm not trying to bash anyone, just putting out information I have learned in years of reading about vertical, and putting what I've learned to my own body and have seen the results.

Adam.
01-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Mother of god there are some ridiculous posts in this thread. I had to register just to correct you.

1. Yes you can increase your vertical through strength training.
2. Stay away from Air Alert. Jumping is an explosive movement, not an endurance movement. Why would doing 500 jumps in a row doing anything to increase your explosive power? Gains made from this program are from technical increases.
3. Kelly Bagget himself is quoted as increasing his vertical from 21" to 42" over the years.
4. Don't listen to 90% of the ******s posting in this thread.
5. Get your big lifts up, deads, squats, etc. Get your explosvie power up, oly movements, jump squats, then get your plyometric abilities going, depth jumps, sprint (advanced).

I've increase my vertical 12" indirectly over the years and I am still increasing every month. I am definitely not a good example of an athlete either.

Wow.:tuttut:

And if you want real information on tried and true methods of increasing your vertical, head over to w w w . theverticalsummit . com . This is our focus and our passion there.

jed
01-31-2008, 09:48 PM
Heh, I don't know the first thing about basketball or verticals, but here's how my years have looked from taking my vertical from 17" to 28"...
age 13-14 : fresh meat lifter, full squatted about 185, never done any jump training. 17"
age 14-15 : had been squatting some more, done serious plyometrics at least once a week, and full squatted probably 215. vert was about 19"
age 15-16 : had done about 6 months of serious plyometrics, squatted 255, played 2 seasons of high school football, and used the Vertimax religiously for about 4 months (think this was a key contribution). vertical was about 24" at end.
age 16-present : cracked my fibula and was immobile for about 3 months, last 3/4 of football season. squatted 315 before crack, back up to 300 now. have not used vertimax once, and only did serious plyos for about 2 months. vertical has now magically sprung up to 28"

i'm 5'11, and on a good day i can just barelly snag the rim of a normal height bball hoop, only if im lucky though! my bday is may 16 if thats relevant. i hope this kind of helped you, knowing that i have never used any books or anything, just the vertimax (and probably wrongly) and it increased pretty well. but the main contibuter to this is probably puberty and my growing stage, but hopefully some of it was the plyos, squats or vertimax.

function
02-05-2008, 07:12 AM
i googled something relating to verts and came up with this thread.

i had to sign up and post.

there is a ridiculous amount of misinformation and plain bull**** in this thread. all those suggesting air alert and other bull**** programs should probably go read some literature on strength training and explosive movements. all those spouting bull**** like a vertical jump is pure mechanics is complete ****. thats a negligible effect, the only REAL mechanics and genetic differences you will ever see is POSSIBLY achillies tendon flexibility (this will equate to a difference in about .5 inch, and it can be trained if you don't naturally have it).

a vertical jump is an extremely explosive movement. if you want 45 inches here what you do.

1 - forget everything. you said you had weak legs? go get you're squat to 2x or more of your BW. sounds hard? you ****ing bet. to do this, you must do squats for neuromuscular efficency and strength gains, not hypertrophy. you want to gain maximum muscle fibre contraction, not extra fluid. so 1-5 reps of 80-90% 1RM. 5x1-5, tailor your own program. squats and variations, deadlifts etc.

2 - once you have a respectable strength base, and im talking RESPECTABLE. you will have seen a already, giant increase in your vert. like 5 inches, you could easily gain more. its time to move onto olympic lifts. don't START with olympic lifts, they're designed for power output, all olympic lifters do heavy squats, deadlifts, olympic good mornings, etc. a clean and jerk doesn't require pure strength, it requires you to utilize ALL THE STRENGTH as FAST as you can. you might squat 600lb, but you might not be able to clean and jerk for ****. or you might clean and jerk 70%+ of your squat, who knows.

3 - olympic lifts done on a STRONG strength base, will result in ENORMOUS gains. you're going to get RIDICULOUS increases. 45 will be relatively easily attainable over a long enough period of time.

4 - plyometrics should also be used once you have a respectable strength base (point 2), i can't simply tell you what to do. you must do it yourself and do the research.

think im full of ****? go watch some olympic lifters on youtube, go read some literature on olympic lifters. olympic lifters have (recorded scientific proof availbie) OUT ACCELERATED 100m runners in 60m runs. they're also known widely as the athletes with the highest verts on the planet, and they don't actually TRAIN for jumping.

the rest of you - go do you're ****ing research before spreading misinformation.

235orbust
02-05-2008, 05:37 PM
thanks for the responses, I havent been on this site for about 2-3 weeks i was suprised when i saw this was still pretty popular.

Updates for anyone interested...

Im about 223 right now.

I am not going to do air alert. The more i look at it the more i realize how bad a program it is, there are other programs i could start that would be much more beneficial

After a brief stint trying the westside for skinny bastards routine, Over the last 2 weeks i chose to switch my lifting routine from the 2 day maintence routine, which is what the team is doing, to the 4 day redshirt routine, which is much tougher. Its pretty good stuff, you start out with hurdle walks for hip flexability, an ab circuit, 2x10 squats for warm up, then 4x6, then a bunch of other stuff like hindu squats, box step ups and plenty of other stuff.

I havent had a chance to acually measure my verticle, but lately i have been jumping like I was before I tore my acl, im pretty sure next time i measure i will see an improvement of at least an inch.

My legs are still scrawny

im rethinking joining the track team, I might just do the running by myself. I am going to get embarassed by some of the people on our track team, these guys are incredible. but the more I see these guys the more i am fascinated with their build, to the point that i might just decide to stop trying to put on so much weight and just try to get built like a tyree washington, which is much better for my goals and a better build for basketball, anyway

In general i have really just started to rethink what kind of build i want to have. Instead of people saying "that guy should be a football player", I want them to say, "man, he looks like a basketball player but, he is huge" if this isnt making any sense, which often happens, here are some pics of physiques I am starting to want

I use to want

http://www.ravens24x7.com/inc/imgresize.inc.php?w=300&img=/images/articles/large/6016413-Custom

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/78140427.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193BBABBA93317D8B5F82FCBBAC2295C90B284831B75F48EF45

now i want

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/m/t/mtd182/bob%20sanders%201.jpg

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/1851959.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A6AFB9D871576474CE9930FDCFC4C15FBB

Sensei
02-05-2008, 08:58 PM
i googled something relating to verts and came up with this thread.

i had to sign up and post.

there is a ridiculous amount of misinformation and plain bull**** in this thread. all those suggesting air alert and other bull**** programs should probably go read some literature on strength training and explosive movements. all those spouting bull**** like a vertical jump is pure mechanics is complete ****. thats a negligible effect, the only REAL mechanics and genetic differences you will ever see is POSSIBLY achillies tendon flexibility (this will equate to a difference in about .5 inch, and it can be trained if you don't naturally have it).

a vertical jump is an extremely explosive movement. if you want 45 inches here what you do.

1 - forget everything. you said you had weak legs? go get you're squat to 2x or more of your BW. sounds hard? you ****ing bet. to do this, you must do squats for neuromuscular efficency and strength gains, not hypertrophy. you want to gain maximum muscle fibre contraction, not extra fluid. so 1-5 reps of 80-90% 1RM. 5x1-5, tailor your own program. squats and variations, deadlifts etc.

2 - once you have a respectable strength base, and im talking RESPECTABLE. you will have seen a already, giant increase in your vert. like 5 inches, you could easily gain more. its time to move onto olympic lifts. don't START with olympic lifts, they're designed for power output, all olympic lifters do heavy squats, deadlifts, olympic good mornings, etc. a clean and jerk doesn't require pure strength, it requires you to utilize ALL THE STRENGTH as FAST as you can. you might squat 600lb, but you might not be able to clean and jerk for ****. or you might clean and jerk 70%+ of your squat, who knows.

3 - olympic lifts done on a STRONG strength base, will result in ENORMOUS gains. you're going to get RIDICULOUS increases. 45 will be relatively easily attainable over a long enough period of time.

4 - plyometrics should also be used once you have a respectable strength base (point 2), i can't simply tell you what to do. you must do it yourself and do the research.Great post. I can only find two things I disagree with...

think im full of ****? go watch some olympic lifters on youtube, go read some literature on olympic lifters. olympic lifters have (recorded scientific proof availbie) OUT ACCELERATED 100m runners in 60m runs. they're also known widely as the athletes with the highest verts on the planet, and they don't actually TRAIN for jumping. I am almost completely convinced that the mythic Mexico City study is a bunch of B.S.... I, and many others, can find nothing that is not third-hand information about it... If you have anything more substantial or convincing that Dr. Fred Hatfield quoting someone else about the study, I'd love to hear it.

the rest of you - go do you're ****ing research before spreading misinformation.
I'm a pretty secure person, but I really hope you weren't including everyone here. More than a few posts echoed what you've said.

Commute
02-07-2008, 01:18 PM
I played HS basketball with a guy who ended up going to the Orioles farm team for baseball, he played every sport well. He was 100% natural (genetics) talent and I saw him get tested at a 44'' verticle. It was one of the coolest things i've seen. GL in your quest!