PDA

View Full Version : Of federations

Organichu
10-10-2007, 07:57 PM
What are the biggest powerlifting federations in the US? Specifically, RAW feds and feds with many competitions in the northeast.

It seems that there are dozens. I work and I'm working on school and other crap, so I'd really prefer a 'big' federation in the sense that it will have many competitions and I won't have to work my schedule around them.

Quite a simple question, but I didn't notice it in any of the stickies.

Thanks!

Unholy
10-10-2007, 07:58 PM
APF, USAPL, WPO is the new big one right? I don't know about raw comps though.

redFury
10-10-2007, 08:24 PM
USAPL, APF, and NASA are big ones that I know of... NASA has some really hardcore RAW lifters IMO. I'm not sure how much these fed are out by you, but I would imagine USAPL is for sure.

Sensei
10-10-2007, 09:43 PM
What are the biggest powerlifting federations in the US? Specifically, RAW feds and feds with many competitions in the northeast.

It seems that there are dozens. I work and I'm working on school and other crap, so I'd really prefer a 'big' federation in the sense that it will have many competitions and I won't have to work my schedule around them.

Quite a simple question, but I didn't notice it in any of the stickies.

Thanks!Good luck with that. One federation is not going to have THAT many competitions in a given area. I don't know where you live, but you should consider yourself very, very, very lucky to find 2 or 3 full-meets/year in your city or the surrounding towns.

Sensei
10-10-2007, 09:46 PM
btw, I think you are looking at the comps in the wrong way - if you just compete when it's convenient, rather than sweat it out preparing for it, you probably aren't going to have the best performance. JMO.

Organichu
10-10-2007, 10:52 PM
Good luck with that. One federation is not going to have THAT many competitions in a given area. I don't know where you live, but you should consider yourself very, very, very lucky to find 2 or 3 full-meets/year in your city or the surrounding towns.

Yeah, I figured so much. I just don't want it to be like "we have two competitions per year" and they're both on the other side of the country. As long as I could get a couple of meets per year within a few hours of me I'd be happy.

Organichu
10-10-2007, 10:53 PM
btw, I think you are looking at the comps in the wrong way - if you just compete when it's convenient, rather than sweat it out preparing for it, you probably aren't going to have the best performance. JMO.

True enough, but at this point my immediate thought is just doing my first competition or two- not necessarily looking to do very well. I just want to get a feel for it, for the crowd, etc.- see if powerlifting competitively is a hobby I'd enjoy.

Guido
10-11-2007, 09:00 AM
APA, NASA, USAPL, NDFPF, 100% Raw. I'd look at those and see how many meets they will be having in your area. Just check out those feds websites and they should list them.

WillKuenzel
10-11-2007, 04:11 PM
If you're just looking for meets or gyms:
http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/states

Try different federations. Don't get sucked into just one.

Comparing federations:
http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/compare-federations

Some federations have raw divisions but it really shouldn't matter. If you're looking to compete, compete however you want to. I've seen guys compete raw against others in unlimited equipment. You do what you have to do to test yourself. Placings aren't that important. There might not be anybody in your weight class and you'll get first if you only make your first attempts with the bar or you could find that meet where a world record holder is competing to requalify for nationals or something. Do your best, regardless.

Organichu
10-11-2007, 06:37 PM
Some federations have raw divisions but it really shouldn't matter. If you're looking to compete, compete however you want to. I've seen guys compete raw against others in unlimited equipment. You do what you have to do to test yourself. Placings aren't that important. There might not be anybody in your weight class and you'll get first if you only make your first attempts with the bar or you could find that meet where a world record holder is competing to requalify for nationals or something. Do your best, regardless.

Oh, I guess I misunderstood the process. I thought that they strictly separated equipped and RAW lifting.

I have absolutely no misgivings about equipped lifting or being grouped in with them- I've just never done it. If it doesn't really matter, that's great. It makes my search far easier.

Thanks everyone.

Bob
10-13-2007, 04:09 PM
the ADAU is big in Penn for raw and drug-free...
http://pikitup.com/

GL and have fun...