PDA

View Full Version : Eh, here's a bench video

berfles
10-10-2007, 10:53 PM
Nothing impressive because it's my weakest lift, but when I started lifting again about 7 months ago I started out having trouble with repping 140lbs. Hell, in July I couldn't even do 195x1. I guess I got a little better. This is a new max record of 210lbs for me, I've only had one chest workout with the new wider grip. This is also after a shoulder workout tonight and a bunch of trial reps with other weights, plus it's almost 1AM here so that would probably account for the shaky arm. Kind of annoying, but I know I can do better than that.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/th_DSCN6798.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/?action=view&current=DSCN6798.flv)

How is my form? I never really thought about it. I wish I would be at at least 225lbs, that's what I consider the entry level of having a decent bench weight. And would chest soreness limit me at all? I'm still pretty sore from Monday.

Herandi
10-11-2007, 04:19 AM
this is your wider grip? it still looks pretty narrow to me, but maybe someone else can second that...

leetuck
10-11-2007, 05:40 AM
Yeh... I grip as wide as that (i think) and I don't feel like I'm gripping wide at all.

Stumprrp
10-11-2007, 06:38 AM
very smooth strong rep man, great job.

berfles
10-11-2007, 09:40 AM
As I said, it's my first attempt with a wider grip, I was using a standard bench before and could only go shoulder width. I'm slowly widening the grip when I feel comfortable, not just going from shoulder width to having my fingers outside the ring.

Thanks Stump. It's a start.

SW
10-11-2007, 10:26 AM
Great lift!

I think maybe you're flaring your elbows a bit.

berfles
10-11-2007, 10:32 AM
Great lift!

I think maybe you're flaring your elbows a bit.

"Flaring" always confused me, do you mean my elbows are too close to my body or too far away? Or something different?

Rusty
10-11-2007, 11:02 AM

"Flaring" always confused me, do you mean my elbows are too close to my body or too far away? Or something different?

I believe he means too far out.

The new setup looks great. How do you like the bench?

berfles
10-11-2007, 11:14 AM
I believe he means too far out.

The new setup looks great. How do you like the bench?

Ah, I see. I thought they were supposed to be pretty far out, maybe the weight made them go a little too far.

I love the bench, it's very stable and supportive. I like it even more now that I figured out you don't have to unscrew the locking bolt all the way to adjust it, you unscrew it part way and put it out and it's spring loaded :) I was just messing around and found that out.

hulkinout
10-11-2007, 11:52 AM
Good work, looked solid.

How much wider is that grip than your old one? I go wider myself, but there tend to be two schools of thought on benching grips: the powerlifter's approach and the bodybuilder's approach.

berfles
10-11-2007, 11:56 AM
Good work, looked solid.

How much wider is that grip than your old one? I go wider myself, but there tend to be two schools of thought on benching grips: the powerlifter's approach and the bodybuilder's approach.

Not that much, probably 1-2". That grip puts my pinkies right at the rings, with my standard bar I didn't have rings but I'm sure my grip was at least 1.5" closer with it. I'll still probably end up going a little wider, but I've only had one workout with that grip so I want to make sure I'm fully used to going a little wider before going too wide.

EDIT: Ok, so maybe a little more than 2" wider. I just took a picture of my old bar on top of my new one.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/jfindon/DSCN67992.jpg

The angle is off a little bit but you get the idea. Where the electrical tape is on my old one was the farthest I could get my hands on my standard bench, they were right against the rack at that point.

Herandi
10-11-2007, 03:49 PM
As I said, it's my first attempt with a wider grip, I was using a standard bench before and could only go shoulder width. I'm slowly widening the grip when I feel comfortable, not just going from shoulder width to having my fingers outside the ring.

Ah ok i see, nice work

berfles
10-11-2007, 04:38 PM
Ah ok i see, nice work

Thanks.

I guess I should also note I'm 5'10 and around 160lbs.

TJ2389
10-11-2007, 04:43 PM
Nice lift, and nice setup you got there.

Big Smiley
10-11-2007, 04:49 PM
Hey, good job man. I just got a power rack last week. I had to upgrade my equipment man, it was hindering my progress. Grip looks a little narrow but hey man you got it.

redFury
10-11-2007, 05:47 PM
Lift actually looked pretty easy off the chest... perhaps you need to start hitting your triceps harder. Based upon that vid you should have 225 soon.

berfles
10-11-2007, 06:00 PM
Lift actually looked pretty easy off the chest... perhaps you need to start hitting your triceps harder. Based upon that vid you should have 225 soon.

Thanks man, that gives me some confidence.

The triceps part might be because I was so tired and just kind of went down and did that without warming up, I was just bored and wanted to see what I could do. I benched 210 two other times before that and 205 once before that video as well, so my tris were probably a little tired.

Con
10-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Nice lift.

Im not sure, but did you try to arch in that vid? It didnt look like it to me, so you might want to check that.

Gl reaching 225.

chris mason
10-11-2007, 06:55 PM
Good lift!

berfles
10-11-2007, 07:04 PM
Nice lift.

Im not sure, but did you try to arch in that vid? It didnt look like it to me, so you might want to check that.

Gl reaching 225.

Yeah, a little bit. I read mixed opinions about arching real far, so I didn't want to over-do it. I actually usually lifted with my feet flat on the floor instead of tucking them back to arch my back a little. That was the first time I benched that way also.

Good lift!

Thanks. I'm thinking about switching to another 3 day split so I can work on my bench twice a week instead of once.

smalls
10-11-2007, 07:26 PM
What are your goals. Why do you want to arch unless having a bigger 1 RM is the only goal.

It looked pretty good, but even for a "bodybuilder bench" your arms are still very wide (flared out) and you seem to be benching really high up on your chest (too high IMO). Just some advice.

Con
10-11-2007, 07:31 PM
What are your goals. Why do you want to arch unless having a bigger 1 RM is the only goal.

Why is an arch only for a bigger RM?

Also, whats a BBer bench?

berfles
10-11-2007, 08:07 PM

It looked pretty good, but even for a "bodybuilder bench" your arms are still very wide (flared out) and you seem to be benching really high up on your chest (too high IMO). Just some advice.

I don't really have goals, I'd just like to bench a little more weight. I find that having my feet like that and giving me that small "arch" plants my shoulders on the bench much better so I don't slide around while I'm doing the reps. With my feet flat on the floor I'd have to correct myself every now and then because the bench has a narrow part.

As for bar placement, I thought I was right around the nipple area. I don't really know the true difference between power lifter bench and body builder bench, I just do what is most comfortable for me. I'll take a look at where the bar comes down next time though.

j_man_honda
10-11-2007, 09:44 PM
Whats your stats berfles? Height, weight, maxes, etc. Good lift by the way. You shoulda been blastin some Metallica or somethin though:nod:...Always gets me pumped before I max out

berfles
10-11-2007, 09:54 PM
Whats your stats berfles? Height, weight, maxes, etc. Good lift by the way. You shoulda been blastin some Metallica or somethin though:nod:...Always gets me pumped before I max out

5'10, around 160 I guess. I don't know any of my other maxes because I don't have enough weight for deadlifts and such, but I did 255x16 with deadlifts so I reckon I'm good for at least something over 300lbs.

I would have blasted music had it not been 1AM ;)

smalls
10-11-2007, 10:08 PM
Why is an arch only for a bigger RM?

Also, whats a BBer bench?

Shortening your ROM has very little application to anything expect being able to use more weight. The OP says arching makes him more stable which apparently is another use for that form.

BB bench is generally recognized as using a full ROM, no or little arch and elbows flared, at least to a certain extent.

It seemed the original posters arms were almost abducted to 90 degrees by the end of the lift, which, IMO, is too far and puts the shoulders in a more comprimised position.

Herandi
10-12-2007, 06:27 PM
you def look bigger than 160 at 5'10, and if you got 255x16 then i'm sure it's quite a bit over 300 if you maxed out

Magilla
10-12-2007, 07:15 PM
great lift

strong off the chest. Work on the triceps w/some 2 and 3 bd presses and 225# will be easy.

berfles
10-12-2007, 07:47 PM
you def look bigger than 160 at 5'10, and if you got 255x16 then i'm sure it's quite a bit over 300 if you maxed out

You think I look bigger than 160? I have always thought I looked like crap and that I don't even touch weights, so that is a huge boost for me. Thanks man.

great lift

strong off the chest. Work on the triceps w/some 2 and 3 bd presses and 225# will be easy.

I'm having a brain fart, what does "bd" mean?

Magilla
10-13-2007, 06:39 AM
my fault, bd is board...

berfles
10-13-2007, 10:07 AM
Would I be able to use the spotters with my rack to do those instead of lumber? I never have a real spotter.