PDA

View Full Version : Ordered a bench shirt

Stumprrp
10-11-2007, 09:47 PM
So i said im not waiting for my dad to give me the money, which he is going to because im broke and i bummed into my 1000 savings (which is for a truck) and got a size 52 RAGE X bench press shirt.

its time to bench 430.

next will be the squat suit.

im destroying USPF nationals next year if it kills me.

Sumorai
10-11-2007, 10:57 PM
Does incorporating a shirt into your training provide any physiological benefits, or help you with your form?

Lones Green
10-12-2007, 03:45 AM
Does incorporating a shirt into your training provide any physiological benefits, or help you with your form?

it depends on the person i guess. generally you buy a shirt to move more weight.

vdizenzo
10-12-2007, 05:26 AM
Awesome! Good luck. Keep us updated on your progress once you get the shirt on.

WillKuenzel
10-12-2007, 05:57 AM
About time. ;)

Good luck and have fun! Equipment is a whole new animal.

drew
10-12-2007, 06:08 AM
FINALLY!

If you need any help figuring things out let us know, or just come down any Friday night.

Stumprrp
10-12-2007, 07:32 AM
i will let you guys know if i need help, the big dogs at my gym are gonna help me for now.

52 should fit, my chest is like 48 relaxed and 50 expanded and they said to add 2.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
10-12-2007, 08:45 AM
So i said im not waiting for my dad to give me the money, which he is going to because im broke and i bummed into my 1000 savings (which is for a truck) and got a size 52 RAGE X bench press shirt.

its time to bench 430.

Congratulations!:clap:

Inzer Rage X is an awesome bp shirt :thumbup:

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
http://www.myspace.com/bigwillie12345

GOT ATLARGE NUTRITION MAXIMUM MASS STACK?

daved931
10-12-2007, 09:07 AM

Bench shirts offer support and help to protect your shoulders, etc. They also help you to move quite a bit more weight. Your form changes a little, but as long as you lift like a powerlifter with your elbows tucked and bring the weight low on your chest, you're all set.

My workout partner has a raw max of 350. With his Rage X, he can do in the 430 neighborhood.

Drawbacks:
-they dig into you like a mo-fo
-tough to put on
-not really you lifting all of the weight
-you need them to be competitive

Positives:
-you'll be competitive
-big weight!!!
-support
-big weight!!!

Stumprrp
10-12-2007, 10:19 AM
thanks for that dave, i guess i better stay shaved! is his PAUSED raw max 350? my touch and go is 355 and paused around 325-330.

redFury
10-12-2007, 10:53 AM

its time to bench 430.

Yes!! Nice man... you're going to really "enjoy" it. But a size 52? Wow... The Titan F6 I have is a 36 but it takes a few minutes to get on (tight). Better bench 400 before I do haha...

Stumprrp
10-12-2007, 10:59 AM
well you weight like 130 dude, im 225, haha, it said add 2 to your chest size? might be to small, but ill just gain weight, haha.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
10-12-2007, 11:18 AM
well you weight like 130 dude, im 225, haha, it said add 2 to your chest size? might be to small, but ill just gain weight, haha.

I weigh 219 & use a size 52 Inzer Rage X.

"BIG WILLIE" J.T. HALL
http://www.myspace.com/bigwillie12345

GOT ATLARGE NUTRITION MAXIMUM MASS STACK?

TommyBoy
10-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Nice work Stump. That is a great shirt.

Stumprrp
10-12-2007, 11:25 AM
willie, awesome im 225 and like 227 bloated.

drew
10-12-2007, 12:11 PM
I was using a 49 custom Rage X, now trying to figure out the 2-ply rage x size 50. My weight is around 225 but I'm all ass.

daved931
10-12-2007, 12:23 PM
thanks for that dave, i guess i better stay shaved! is his PAUSED raw max 350? my touch and go is 355 and paused around 325-330.

His competition legal max is 350. If he titty-bounced, he's probably get a little more.

For whatever it's worth, he's 6'2" and 250 pounds. It sounds as though your results should be pretty comparable to his.

One thing he ran into with his Rage X was that it stretched a little more than he expected during break-in and he had to have the chest taken in about 1/2". He hasn't had to do anything with it since though, and he's had it for about a year.

If you need any adjustments made, you should contact Ginny Phillips. She is THE BEST. http://www.ginnyspowergear.com/bio.htm

Guido
10-12-2007, 01:33 PM
My workout partner has a raw max of 350. With his Rage X, he can do in the 430 neighborhood.
Really? He only gets 80 lbs out of it? I get over 100 lbs out of single ply Titan F-6 and it's not even that tight on me.

I find that doing plenty of raw board presses is what helps me the most. Get that lockout strength up and you'll get a lot more out of the shirt!

drew
10-12-2007, 01:36 PM
I have gotten 120lbs out of my single ply X. I'm hoping to put up 475 by the end of this training cycle and my raw PR is 285 (I put it more like 300 though since I rarely train raw and usually don't go crazy when I do.)

daved931
10-12-2007, 01:47 PM
Really? He only gets 80 lbs out of it? I get over 100 lbs out of single ply Titan F-6 and it's not even that tight on me.

I find that doing plenty of raw board presses is what helps me the most. Get that lockout strength up and you'll get a lot more out of the shirt!

Well, bench shirts are different for all people. His tricep/lockout strength isn't super awesome, but we do a lot of board presses, especially leading up to a competition.

Keep in mind that his Rage X is a single ply. I think you'll find that most people don't add more than 50 - 90 pounds with a single ply bench shirt. At least, that's what I've seen around the gym. I know a guy with a double denim shirt that that can't even break 300 pounds at 170 body weight. As I said, bench shirts are different for all people.

Ryano
10-12-2007, 02:21 PM
You can't compare # of pounds over raw with different size people. A larger person is going to get more pounds of carryover than a smaller person. It's best to compare it as a change in % of BW. My estimated raw bench is around 450 @ a BW of 280 = ~160%. In a single ply shirt 660 @ 280 = ~235%. That's a total net increase of 75% of BW. So I get about 210 pounds carryover with a single ply shirt but a person with my same technique/skill/stength level at a BW of 180 will only get 135 pounds out of that single ply shirt(assuming it was fit the same).

Maybe I'm full of ****, but that's the way I look at it.

Stumprrp
10-12-2007, 02:22 PM
we will see how i do, i can do 6 inch lockouts with over 500 lbs and ive done 4 boards with 405 no problem.

Ryano
10-12-2007, 02:58 PM
Good luck with your new shirt, but remember, shirted board presses and full range presses are two completely different animals.

Stumprrp
10-19-2007, 02:04 PM
not sure, got the shirt and i was able to get it on with my moms help, not really ripping it on, it was loose on my stomach, but pretty tight on my chest and arms, not wicked tight, i couldnt even simulate a bench in it, i could only bring my arms down like 2 inches.

North
10-19-2007, 02:09 PM
good luck with it stump

drew
10-19-2007, 02:17 PM
It won't be very tight in the belly, make sure you wear a belt and cinch it super tight when you're ready to bench (this should be done after the bench shirt is on and in place, and your wrist wraps are tight.)

Make sure your training partners pull the shoulder up and get all the slack out of the arms, and that the sleeves are above your elbows. Make sure they pull all the slack out of the chest panel as well.

Make sure to stay really tight and ge tthe bar down fast. Don't give up if it doesn't touch, keep focused and tuck your elbows until it drops into position. Then press the **** out of it.

Good luck with it man.

Stumprrp
10-19-2007, 02:20 PM
thanks alot drew, so you think it does fit ok if its tight on my chest and really tight on my arms?

drew
10-19-2007, 02:27 PM
It should be really tight in the arms but not so tight that you can't get it on. With my double I had to have Big Tee put it on for me the first couple of times because it was so tight. You really won't know until you get under some weight with it.

Stumprrp
10-19-2007, 02:28 PM
ok, i could get it on just with some extra pulling from mom, i guess its good then, honestly, it seems like id need 400+ to touch haha.

Chris Rodgers
10-19-2007, 03:05 PM
ok, i could get it on just with some extra pulling from mom, i guess its good then, honestly, it seems like id need 400+ to touch haha.

That sounds good to me. :dj:

When are you going to try it out? Do those powerlifters you trin with use shirts? If not, get your ass down to train with Vinnie and Rhodes.

Guido
10-19-2007, 04:00 PM
Well, bench shirts are different for all people. His tricep/lockout strength isn't super awesome, but we do a lot of board presses, especially leading up to a competition.

Keep in mind that his Rage X is a single ply. I think you'll find that most people don't add more than 50 - 90 pounds with a single ply bench shirt. At least, that's what I've seen around the gym. I know a guy with a double denim shirt that that can't even break 300 pounds at 170 body weight. As I said, bench shirts are different for all people.My shirt is single ply and I get 100-110lbs out of it. I'm smaller than Stump, too.

But I agree with Ryano, the carryover from a shirt is going to depend mostly on your raw strength, size, as well as how the shirt fits and how much practice you have in it. Learn the groove of the shirt and you'll get 30-40 more lbs over what you get when you first put it on, easily.

chris mason
10-19-2007, 08:17 PM

its time to bench 430.

Do it! Great stuff! I love to see your development on this site.

Stumprrp
10-19-2007, 08:26 PM
thanks for the tips guys yes they use shirts the guys specifically showing me one benches 460 and the other 635.

aside from my girlfriend and food, winning my next 2 competitions is the only thing i think about.

i get to go to mexico too if i win nationals, lol.

vdizenzo
10-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Good luck. Inzer is the way to go. If you need any advice please hit me up.

RhodeHouse
10-19-2007, 09:44 PM
Get after it.

Make sure you do all full range work in the shirt. Boards will screw up your groove and you'll have a hard time learning how to touch weight.

deeder
10-20-2007, 01:51 AM
Get after it.

Make sure you do all full range work in the shirt. Boards will screw up your groove and you'll have a hard time learning how to touch weight.

Huh? I've never heard that before? I don't put my shirt on just to do boards or anything like that but we always do our first couple sets in the shirt to boards because it's weight we wouldn't be able to touch with... Do you still do that???

Stumprrp
10-20-2007, 07:35 AM
tahnks guys

vdizenzo
10-20-2007, 01:05 PM
Using boards to learn the shirt is an awful technique. People tend to lower the bar faster with the boards because they have a sense of security. Take away the boards and they lower the bar completely differently. If you want to work on lockout with the shirt then that is fine.

Progressively using lower boards to learn how to touch is a waste. It is also the reason so many guys bomb out nowadays. I can't tell you how many times I have heard "Well I was able to touch that weight with a one board." Yeah, too bad there is no such thing as a one board competition.

Learn to touch lighter weight in your shirt. I touched 635 in the same shirt that I benched 800 in.

waynedang
10-20-2007, 01:26 PM
Using boards to learn the shirt is an awful technique. People tend to lower the bar faster with the boards because they have a sense of security. Take away the boards and they lower the bar completely differently. If you want to work on lockout with the shirt then that is fine.

Progressively using lower boards to learn how to touch is a waste. It is also the reason so many guys bomb out nowadays. I can't tell you how many times I have heard "Well I was able to touch that weight with a one board." Yeah, too bad there is no such thing as a one board competition.

Learn to touch lighter weight in your shirt. I touched 635 in the same shirt that I benched 800 in.

Amen!!!

But I must confess I do shirted boards but only to work around an injury. If it was not for that I would never do them. They still mess my bar path up and I have used a shirt for a few years. I know people will say that some of the top guys like Rob and Ryan use them but remember they know the gear inside and out. Full range is always best!!!!!

Stumprrp
10-20-2007, 01:30 PM
i like doing full range pressing more period, i found a new exercise if i want to work the mid range, cambered bar press.

i will let you guys know how it goes tomorrow

Chris Rodgers
10-20-2007, 04:23 PM

:withstupi:

Well put. Too many people say NEVER do boards in the shirt, but I think it is good to overload the lockout. Some of my training partners do those regularly(Chris Taylor, John Bernor, Glen Russo) and they are all big benchers. I do agree though, that you must practice full range to learn the shirt.

Stumprrp
10-21-2007, 09:33 AM
This went very good, they wanted to see what i could touch, so after my last warmup of 315 raw, i put the shirt on, they all said it is pretty loose, one guy is 300 lbs and wears a 54, i have a 52, but its still snug. i touched 365 on a 3 board and got 3 reps easy as hell, 405 for 2 off a 2 board, and JUST missed pressing 425, got it to touch. very happy.

Bako Lifter
10-21-2007, 12:50 PM
You da man stump.

redFury
10-21-2007, 02:57 PM
Sounds like you got a good shirt man... you'll be doing 425 for reps in no time.

drew
10-22-2007, 05:54 AM
Sounds good Rob. I would stay away from boards with the shirt, it will mess up your groove.

Stumprrp
10-22-2007, 07:00 AM
they made me do this just to see what i could touch they said, once i break it in it will be all full press.