PDA

View Full Version : Workout for football?

Itsnotaboutme
10-13-2007, 11:15 PM
Okay right now I'm playing center for my team. My coach told me that he wants me to play fullback next year because in practice I flat run over people, but he said I need to get faster and stronger. Does anyone have any advice mainly on speed or a workout that focuses on what is needed in football? Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated. Also something else I'm looking for is exercises that target neck strength. I have a reoccuring "stinger" in my neck that is caused by having a weak neck. Thanks

Itsnotaboutme
10-13-2007, 11:19 PM
http://a504.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/96/l_f6c000a40a3d3dbfe0055468bef78cf7.jpg
This is a picture of me chasin someone....I think I flatbacked someone this play...

http://a261.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/83/l_65df7427d8a1b52665462377ee1b4564.jpg
This is me about to snap. #62 next to me is one of the strongest kids on our team, but he has never played before. He is a wrestler. So the first day of O-line he grabs someone under the shoulder pads picked him up and slammed him into the ground. On other occasions he do some fancy wrestling flips that were quite funny to watch.

schmitty199
10-17-2007, 06:55 PM
Okay right now I'm playing center for my team. My coach told me that he wants me to play fullback next year because in practice I flat run over people, but he said I need to get faster and stronger. Does anyone have any advice mainly on speed or a workout that focuses on what is needed in football? Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated. Also something else I'm looking for is exercises that target neck strength. I have a reoccuring "stinger" in my neck that is caused by having a weak neck. Thanks

Do you do plyometrics at your school? If so, do them, they help alot. If not look some drills up and maybe grab a couple teammates and do them yourself. I wouldnt say theres really specific drills you have to do, just anything that has you making sharp cuts, exploding out of them, and moving your feet quickly. Definetly add in some jumps and jump roping as well.

Relentless
10-30-2007, 05:19 PM
Get an experience powerlifter/olympic lifter to teach you squats and power cleans. These will help you with your strength for football.

For your neck, there are specialized machines for that, you may need to visit a rehab clinic or physiotherapist to access them. Alternatively, you could try one of those Everlast Neck Developers, where you strap weight to your head but I can't vouch for the efficacy of those. You may want to do your own research. You can also do isometric neck exercises where you push your head against the resistance of your own hand to each side, front and back, holding for a 10 count and then relaxing... google for "neck exercises" or "neck strength" and you'll find a herd of stuff. Finally, you might also see about learning how to do a neck bridge from your high school wrestling coach if you have one (but don't try to learn it on your own -- performed incorrectly, a neck bridge can be dangerous!!)

My 0.02.

Se7en
11-05-2007, 09:10 PM
Necks are dead important. I too played center during my time as a football player. You're going to want to focus on things that make you "explosive" off the ball. Work on powerlifting with one of the coaches at your school. Also, correct form as a center will help you out immensely. In your picture, your hips are way too vertical. You almost want them perpendicular to your shins. You also will need to practice sustaining that position. Dont forget, the lower you are the easier it will be to drive people off the ball.

Don't work too much on your beach muscles - your team mates will all do that.Biceps are not nearly as important as squats, bench, deadlifts. Make sure you add powerlifting to your regimen.

Mike G
11-06-2007, 01:23 PM
I coach football and the biggest exercise I advocate is squats. Most of the kids I coach like to curl and bench, but they don't squat. The ones that do, don't do them right. Start squatting, right now. It's frustrating, because I don't work at the school, so I don't get to spend time in the weightroom, so the workouts I give the kids don't get done.

Plyos are great and work on sprints. Hills, up and down are beneficial. Find a hill with a low incline and sprint. Really, for now, just hit the basics in the gym. Cleans, squats, deads, the big compounds coupled with plyos and sprint work will help if you can transfer it to the field. If you want more specific type of stuff, feel free to PM me with your goals. I have a lot of stuff that might be helpful.

beaverfootball
11-06-2007, 03:23 PM
i agree with Mike G ^^^^

i played fullback for a year at a d3 school. best thing that i ever did was cleans IMO, with a very strong supportive background of squats and deads. yeah its cool to bench 300, but you run on your legs not your arms and chest.

as far as foot speed, i definately recommend a speed ladder. even if its home made. its amazing.

nosetackle2005
11-06-2007, 09:31 PM
i agree with Mike G ^^^^

i played fullback for a year at a d3 school. best thing that i ever did was cleans IMO, with a very strong supportive background of squats and deads. yeah its cool to bench 300, but you run on your legs not your arms and chest.

as far as foot speed, i definately recommend a speed ladder. even if its home made. its amazing.

I second Mike G's message! Power cleans are a definite must in any football program. But to do that, you must establish your base (ie. squats, deadlift).

As a nosetackle (sometimes supplementary fullback), the power clean simulates how you explode from your 3 or 4-point stance.

Damn! I can't wait to start playing full-contact football next summer. :)

growthrep
11-07-2007, 01:30 PM
Go to Barnes n noble in the sports/fitness section and read Bigger Faster Stronger. This is the perfect program for you, pal. I was on it myself for a while.

beaverfootball
11-08-2007, 08:23 AM
our highschool football coach has us on BFS too. good starter program i thought.