PDA

View Full Version : Rugby Split

ZenMonkey
10-15-2007, 09:27 PM
Hey all, I just began playing rugby and am a foreword. This means lots of power/strength in my legs. The speed part of the power will be taken care of on tue/thu at practice. The strength part, though, I may need some help. My legs need lots of help, should I leave them be for now, of throw in something like Bulgarian Split Squats or lunges on Wed. I have only been squatting for quads. Also I games are on Fri/Sat so legs are better earlier in the week. At any rate, I would love some advice.

Mon-
Squat 5x5
Leg Press 4x8
Decline Crunches 3x10
Hyper Extension 3x10

Wed-
DL 5x5
SLDL 5x5
Milt Press 5x5
Pullup 5x5
?-Bulgarian Split Squats 5x5?

Fri-
Bench 5x5
TBar Row 5x5
Inc DB Press 4x8
Calf Raise 2x20
Shrugs 5x5

BigGritty
11-08-2007, 09:55 AM
Whereabouts in the scrum are you?

I'm a former tighthead prop, but I'm looking at making the move to a lock, and seeing some more ball time (not a pun on where my head will be).

I am also in training for the spring season, and I saw a couple points that I'd like to ask you about:

1) Calves the day before your game: If you are worried about doing legs the day before you play (I would be too), why are you doing calves? In the scrum and in rucks, you're never on your heels.

2) Core: I don't know if it is just an oversight, but I don't see any core work on that list, except for a little on monday. As a prop, your core strength is going to be damn near as important as your leg strength. If you get winged down, you're toast.

My $.02

ZenMonkey
11-08-2007, 10:35 AM
im a tight head
Core: DL, Squat, dec crun, hyper xt, milt press, plyometrics

Ive been doing calfraises on mondays

BigGritty
11-08-2007, 10:42 AM
I meant more core specific exercises. Bridgework / Med ball work. That sort of stuff.

ZenMonkey
11-08-2007, 11:41 AM
my core is fine. heavy lifting and plyo on a bosu type platform does the job well.

This, though, was not my concern.

BigGritty
11-08-2007, 12:25 PM
im a tight head
Ah, nice! Welcome!

If sheer leg strength is your major concern, when does your current competition season end? Your fall league should be wrapping up, and you should have a couple of months before the pitch thaws for spring games, right?

If you're strictly worried about applicable leg strength for driving in the scrum, instead of overloading legs even more in your workouts while you are still competing, I would suggest extra work with the scrum machine (if you are lucky enough to have one on your pitch), or just grab a couple of extra mates and pack down, and keep working on that (especially if you are new to the game... it'll work on your form as well as your legs).

As always, keep your right shoulder shrugged and wing down the hell out of the loose bastard across from you.

Good luck!

EDIT:

I meant to include "save the hardcore leg strength training till you're out of season, and all you have to contend with is a practice or two"

ZenMonkey
11-09-2007, 05:29 PM
yeah, ive grasped the game pretty quickly, at least for the props. I am going to do like an 8 week speciailzation after our last game. squats,front squats, dls, sldls, bss, hyper xt, calves, ...and gonna start a bulk.

testadura
12-02-2007, 07:20 PM
pshhhh you animals couldnt even begin to understand the finer aspects of rugby like us backs