PDA

View Full Version : Dips without a dip bar?

OGROK
10-15-2007, 11:17 PM
My college gym has an assisted dip machine. A lot of people simply place 25lb plate on the assistance platform and do unassisted dips that way. However, today there was a note on the dipping bar that told us that "for safety reasons it is prohibited to place a dumbbell or plate on the body assister". There is no other dipping station in my gym. Considering that 25 lbs makes the assist bar go to the bottom, if I strapped a 25 lb plate to me and did dips that way would that be roughly the equivalent of an unassisted dip? Or is there another way to do dips that I am not aware of (there is no other dipping station in the gym to my knowledge).

EDIT: I am an idiot, could a moderator please move this to the correct forum? Thanks.

Slim Schaedle
10-15-2007, 11:23 PM
Get a rope or chain and attach it to the platform, and then attach it to the bottom of the rack somehow.

In that case you are technically not breaking the new rule they posted.

Or just put something heavy on it that is not a dumbbell or plate.

What brand squat racks do they have?

Slim Schaedle
10-15-2007, 11:51 PM
Honestly, I say **** the rules and do it anyway.

Gotta test the waters and see what you can get away with.

OGROK
10-15-2007, 11:54 PM
Honestly, I say **** the rules and do it anyway.

Gotta test the waters and see what you can get away with.

Yeah man I tried that. It worked for about three days until some guy at the desk noticed and he came over and lectured me about how "altering the functionality of this machine is prohibited".

I was thinking maybe I could grab two barbells and do dips in the power rack. The only problems I could think of is other people getting pissed off at me hogging two barbells and the barbells rolling around on the pins.

mikesbytes
10-16-2007, 12:16 AM
Attach plates to your belt with chains. As per you would do with normal dips, just add more plates to counteract the assistance.

Gunshow
10-25-2007, 02:38 PM
go to the owner and say what the **** do you want me to do i don't need any assistance but i need to do dips. if he can't justify a rule he can't make you follow it imo. and i really doubt you will get banned for breaking the dip machine rule. or ask him to order a new piece of equipment, maybe he will think its a good idea?

Slim Schaedle
10-25-2007, 03:29 PM
go to the owner and say what the **** do you want me to do i don't need any assistance but i need to do dips. if he can't justify a rule he can't make you follow it imo. and i really doubt you will get banned for breaking the dip machine rule. or ask him to order a new piece of equipment, maybe he will think its a good idea?

That's another good idea after saying screw the rules.

Me and my buddy convinced one of the higher-ups at UC's rec to order some stuff after they orginally cut him off and said no more. He came back to us and said he had to go behind the others' backs and then was eventually questioned why $$ was missing and extra equipment was ordered.

But, we got what we wanted and it gets alot of use.