PDA

View Full Version : Hip problems on squat

thalakos84
10-16-2007, 07:08 PM
I'm 7 weeks into Bill Starr's 5x5 and I can't complain. I haven't plateaued yet and my numbers keep climbing. However, I'm having some tightness/pain in my left hip on the front side. It has always popped, but as of late, it's irritated. Nothing excruciating, just a nuisance. I have a busy week traveling, so I decided to take a week. Is this a fatal mistake so early in this program?

RhodeHouse
10-16-2007, 07:26 PM
Rest if you need it. Make sure you're warming up properly, stretching, and icing/anti-inflammatories before and after workouts. Be smart and listen to your body

PetePazdro
10-17-2007, 03:04 PM
I think i'm in the very same boat as Thalakos84. My left hip has been feeling a little strained around the ball and socket area after i decided to train squats every other day for a week to get my body back into condition (maybe not the wisest idea i know) . The pain is only very slight and it is agrivated a little when im at the lowest position in the squat.

I think im going to squat every other week now to put the strain off my hip, but i have to say its going to be challenge to stay of the squat rack.

Chris Rodgers
10-17-2007, 03:09 PM
Rest if you need it. Make sure you're warming up properly, stretching, and icing/anti-inflammatories before and after workouts. Be smart and listen to your body

That's good advice. Listen to it.

RedSpikeyThing
10-17-2007, 03:39 PM
That's good advice. Listen to it.

+1

Stretching after working out helped me out a lot. Deadlifting with a conventional stance may help too.

CrazyK
10-19-2007, 05:50 PM
I've had similar hip problems. If ignored it can become very painful doing daily life activities. To solve the problem supplement your workout with a lot of one legged exercises. One legged deads, squats, lunges etc...

Mobility drills before and after a workout that involve the hip are a wise tool to use. Activation exercises such as found in the squat rx videos involving bands around the knees and the like were very helpful. Good luck.

thalakos84
10-20-2007, 06:29 PM
I do about a 5 minute ROM warm up. I really haven't been stretching afterwards anymore. Maybe I should be. I've been lax because of the time factor. But I'm only cheating myself. Ugh. Thanks guys. I needed an outside perspective. Monday, it's time to HIT THE WEIGHTS HARD!!!!!!!.......................................................and then stretch.

thalakos84
11-12-2007, 06:01 PM
I think I found the problem. http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/frontthigh/recfemrupinflam.htm

Should I back off on the squats for a while. Maybe sub some lunges and lighter work until it heals?

deeder
11-12-2007, 06:15 PM
Did you read the suggestions in that link you provided? All the same things that RhodeHouse suggested above.

Many people experience some hip pain after squatting. It's often a result of lack of flexibility.